It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Rescue Giant Baboon Spider from From Pet Owner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   

NYC Rescue Giant Baboon Spider from From Pet Owner

news.bostonherald.com

“This is the kind of spider that nightmares are made of,” said Roy Gross, chief of the Suffolk County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

He said the spider is aggressive and can jump 3 feet and bite with its large fangs. The bites are dangerous to humans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Rescue is right. Many of these exotic creatures wind up dead or dumped in our backyards and rivers with disastrous consequences such as replacing local fauna and habitat.

SyS

news.bostonherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Tidbit..the average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime while sleeping
over 500 of 850 tarantula species are in the US

In looking for a better photo of the baboon spider I ran across this beautiful website investigating mystery of why several acres suddenly covered by webs. as well as other mysteries..this is a must read and hope you enjoy
Spiders take over 60acre farm mwebs visible from 2km away

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I'm terrified of spiders so that spider would be something I hope I never bump in to,

But I do feel sorry for them, I really dislike that people will take on a creature and not know how to care for them, I really do think that there should be more procedures in place to make people aware of what it may entail having such an animal,

I'm just glad this one has been rescued and hopefully will now live out a proper Spider life,

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Poor Baboon Spider. I had a pet one once. I had to leave him overseas. Customs wouldnt let me bring him home. If you take care of them properly they are docile. They are far less dangerous than dogs. I never ever had a problem with mine. Aggressive and jump 3 feet? The females can be aggressive at times, but jump? No. They can run though. One of the fastest spiders in the world. Their Venom is not deadly. It is a potent neuro toxin that causes pain throughout the body but nothing more.

[edit on 19/8/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Ugh, no thanks on pet spiders. They give me the willies.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sys_Config

Tidbit..the average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime while sleeping

That is a myth. Google it.

Here is a picture of the little fella

[edit on 19-8-2007 by kleverone]

top topics

join