It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Your Favorite Musical?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What are your faves? Which songs from which musicals really get you going?

I have two all-time favorite musicals.

Oddly enough, considering my atheism, my number one favorite of all time is
Jesus Christ Superstar.

I saw it in London on stage two weeks before the actor playing Judas was accidentally killed in the hanging scene. But I've loved it since I was a kid. I own the soundtrack and know the lyrics by heart. I love all the songs on it, but this one is one of the best, just for its camp value.

My other all time favorite, which I also own the soundtrack to and can sing pretty much word for word is Hair.

What's yours?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Dude! They really hung Judas. Well that'll learn him.

I would have to say Joseph - another bible story for an atheist! Freaky. I've been in it twice, once as a brother in Junior School and then as The Pharaoh in secondary school, which was awsome, if you know the musical the Pharaoh gets to rock it out Elvis stylee.

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

MonKey

Broadway my ass! I was way better.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Sound of Music...Oklahoma...and Showboat.

Great music and good stories.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I don't know if this qualifies, being animated and all, and I definately will NOT post it here, but my fav musical movie would have to be HEAVY METAL. Aside from Purple Rain.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It's got cool music, so why not? I've never seen a definite definition of what a "musical" is, so...why not?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I don't know if this qualifies, being animated and all, and I definately will NOT post it here, but my fav musical movie would have to be HEAVY METAL. Aside from Purple Rain.

I agree Access, the Heavy Metal animated movie was great, must have seen that a dozen times back in the 80's.
Here's a couple that havent been mentioned yet. I've seen both at the theatre and on film. Rocky Horror was better at the theatre but i thought the film version of Little Shop was better than the theatre version.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Little Shop of Horrors

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well then glad I'm not the only one who thought so.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Rent

Fiddler on the roof

Damn Yankees

The music and production values in each of these was phenomenal.

I could watch each of them over and over again...Broadway, National Touring Company, DinnerTheater, even, it doesn't matter; they are almost always a joy to watch.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It's tough to pick, but I'm going with West Side Story.

Gee, Officer Krupke is my favourite song from that movie.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hmmmmm
I'd say....

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
&
Little Shop of Horrors

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Good call Duzey! West Side Story is a classic, the first musical I ever saw as a teen that I really identified with. Officer Krupke is a great tune, yes, but my favorites from the show are "When you're a Jet" and "Maria", although "America" is a real fun number too. I loved this so much that I asked for the soundtrack album from the movie for Christmas that year and wore the grooves out! Wow, just the mention of the title brings back loads of pleasant memories. Thanks for reminding me!

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Same here, Duzey, I was just thinking about putting up "When You're a Jet."

It's one of my favorites minor, with Fiddler on the Roof.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Thanks guys, now I'm going to go around the house all night singing" I feel Pretty, Oh so pretty...."

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Lot's of musicals mentioned that I like but I have to go with MM on this, Norman Jewison's Jesus Christ Superstar is the best of the best.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
For me, it's not contest. Phantom. (not to be confused with my second favorite, Phantom of the Opera) This musical is by Arthur Kopit and Maury Yeston, and has such hauntingly beautiful music, and centers much more around the Phantom and his humanity compared to Christine and her singing. If you get a chance, Rent/download/catch the 1990 TV movie based on this musical, titled The Phantom of The Opera.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well I am slightly biased towards Joseph as I was one of the background kid singers for about 5 years, but aside from my bias, seeing Starlight Express in London was absolutely amazing.

This is a close one but I really like Joseph.

However, Purple Rain is a masterpiece of its time. Prince is a phenomenal artist, musician and composer. Two different catagories. but those two take it for me.

Old vs New school.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I've always been partial to Grease. Not sure why, i can't stand John Travolta, but everytime it's on i have to stop and watch it.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Excellent choice AccessDenied and would be my favorite as well

Best musical of my youth - Heavy Metal

Best musical currently - RENT[/B]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleys

Thank you Bleys for the opening scene from "Rent", my all time favorite musical. Every time I hear that song I am overcome with the joy and passion of those singers. I cry every time...with joy.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Mary Poppins. And my favorite song--Feed the Birds. Julie's voice is unbelievable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join