It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic 2050 Shrinkage moved up to this year!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Arctic 2050 sshrinkage moved up to this year!

www.jaxa.jp

Since July, the smallest record of sea ice area in the Arctic Ocean has been broken every day.
Since the beginning of August, the shrinkage of sea ice has been accelerated by a low pressure system generated and lingering off Siberia.
On August 15, the total sea ice area in the Arctic Ocean reached a new low.
If this pace of melting continues, the sea ice area reduction pace may significantly exceed the IPCC forecast, and it may actually reach the forecasted values for 2040 to 2050 (Figure 2 and 3.)
Estimated causes
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

[edit on 18-8-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This constant acceleration of the meltdown is unsettling. I am tempered by the fact that similar prediction was made in the 1920. The desalination of the ocean though is disturbing and will no doubt disrupt life cycles of sea creatures, and our food supply..and I would hate to own property along the coasts.

www.jaxa.jp
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sys_Config

Science 101: Sea-Ice does not raise the Sea-Level. Other than that, im sure we should all hold hands and sing and pray and... (sarcasm)

Only problem that this might cause is the possible disruption and circulational pattern change of the ocean currents. Then again if the warm currents stop reachning the arctic we wont have to worry about melting ice in the arctic anymore but the arctic taking over the northern hemisphere again, aka iceage.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
By 2040-2050 we should be already in a LIA, or a similar cold event again.

In fact temperatures will go down and very possibly a new LIA or similar cold event will probably happen around 2017-2029 give or take a year or two, because the Sun's conveyor belt is slowling down more than it has for centuries, which means that there will be less solar activity for Solar Cycle 25, which means "the Earth will have cooler temperatures'....

Solar astronomers are predicting a very low solar cycle 15 years from now, based on recent observations of the Sun. In the last few years, the Sun's Great Conveyor Belt - which transfers hot plasma around the star - has slowed to half its normal speed. According to simulations, the speed of this conveyor translates into sunspot activity 20 years in the future. Solar Cycle 25, which peaks in the year 2022, should be one of the weakest ever observed.
The Sun's Great Conveyor Belt has slowed to a record-low crawl, according to research by NASA solar physicist David Hathaway. "It's off the bottom of the charts," he says. "This has important repercussions for future solar activity."

www.universetoday.com...

---edited to put added comments on new post---

[edit on 18-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Muaddib

Yeah, good thing sun is not behind the current warming trend as we are constantly being told. Even though there is plenty of evidence about the huge impact of the suns activity and cycles that ties pretty well with the data of the climate changes we have been experiencing.

Cant wait to see how long will it take until the next 180 turn by the environuts when we have to start to melt the icecaps and spread more global warming gasses into the athmosphere to save the humanity from certain doom again. Im guessing 5 years into the next cooling period before they flipflop the next time.

Maybe they can pull the ultimate BS-spin and manage to convince the public that the global warming we caused, caused the global cooling so we need to give them even more money to waste because clearly they didnt get enough to correct the global warming in time the last time around? I wouldnt put it past them really. Afterall someone has to pay for their private jets and luxury mansions and stuff. You cant expect them to actually work for a living do you?

[edit on 18/8/07 by Gonjo]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
(i edited the added comments on my previous post to put them in a new response)

If the predicted 2050 shrinkage has moved to 2007 wouldn't that mean that the ice melted in Greenland should be reaching the same levels as were predicted for 2050, which would mean sea levels should have been rising.

Have sea levels been rising significantly?

Unless i am wrong no significant sea level rise has been observed, which means i kind of doubt what they claim in this article.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Gonjo, i couldn't agree with you anymore.

sooner or later the environlunatics will claim "we are going to cause global cooling, so give us the environlunatic groups your money so we can save the Earth from certain doom"....

Anyways, I have given contributions in the past to some environmental groups, but with all these exagerations they keep coming with and sometimes straight lies i am reserving my money for other things.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
BTW, Solar Cycle 24, the one which just started, has been predicted to be stronger than the last 3 other solar cycles, so it will get warmer before it gets colder. Solar Cycle 24 peaks in 2012-2013.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Muaddib

Yeah they have some major issues in their prediction models. One of them being that co2 and GHG being the main reason behind the warming, which would cause the greenland land-ice to melt along with the ice on the northpole. The reason why its not is that the main source of the heat melting the ice on the northpole is actually the ocean temperature which is being driven up by the solar radiation and the lack of clouds due increased solar wind activity. This ofcourse gives us the situation where the ocean levels are not rising as sea-ice does nothing directly to ocean levels even if it does melt.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I mentioned a brief article about the 1920s prediction ..
hopefully if the Russians and Danes do attempt to build oilrigs in the North pole region, ice will have returned to normal levels so they will be drawing slushies instead oil1920s article from Inside the Beltway as I understood the article 4 of the hottest periods were back then.

SyS

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
One thing everyone must keep in mind when discussing the issue of global warming is that there is no ONE cause. There is no single guilty party.

Is the sun doing it? Yes.
Are we doing it with emissions? Yes.
Are the livestock doing it with methane? Yes.
Is the lack of ice accellerating it? Yes.

The one method of thinking that is engrained in everyones thought pattern is to find a single thing to lay blame on, and then attack that one and only thing... in the case of global warming, it's a fine balance between MANY factors that has recently gone off balance. Is there one single guilty party? No, and anyone who attempts to find one single cause for it... is likely single minded themselves.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
One thing everyone must keep in mind when discussing the issue of global warming is that there is no ONE cause. There is no single guilty party.

Is the sun doing it? Yes.
Are we doing it with emissions? Yes.
Are the livestock doing it with methane? Yes.
Is the lack of ice accellerating it? Yes.

The one method of thinking that is engrained in everyones thought pattern is to find a single thing to lay blame on, and then attack that one and only thing... in the case of global warming, it's a fine balance between MANY factors that has recently gone off balance. Is there one single guilty party? No, and anyone who attempts to find one single cause for it... is likely single minded themselves.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Thanx posters We really need to have a balanced center of gravity on this and many other issues, so we can adapt to these changes rather than look for a scapegoat..otherwise we will wind up accelerating melting like these folx

Sys

new topics

top topics

join