It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$8.00 fee to drive around Manhattan gaining steam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

$8.00 fee to drive around Manhattan gaining steam

www.msnbc.msn.com

Tax on middle-class?
Bloomberg’s plan would charge cars $8 and trucks $21 to enter Manhattan south of 86th Street on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

New York opponents of congestion pricing argue that it won’t affect driver behavior enough to improve air quality or overall traffic patterns. They also say it amounts to a tax on middle-class New Yorkers who live outside Manhattan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
How much more are we supposed to pay for? Everyday prices are going up and there are more things we have to pay for that were once fee. What's next? $0.01 for every breath of air we take?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
New but, it seems like something that has been discussed her before..

Sending tickets in the mail with a picture of your car speeding...
Someone mentioned that you didn't have to pay them and same with red light camera's.

Can they just take a road and then say, you have to pay to take it?

Soon air will cost money... $0.01 a breath... that will be a GREAT deal!

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Air is free. Petrol is not. Petrol emissions destroy the quality of both our air and our $0.01 planet. Make people pay for their exhausts,congestion, but at least spend that money on public transport. That is the most important issue, spend the money where it counts and that can get you out of your car (at least sometimes).

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
But I thought New York was the bestest city on earth ?!

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit
But I thought New York was the bestest city on earth ?!

Gotta admit that I do indeed LOVE New York. Best city on Earth? It's debateable, for certain. I think that this toll is a farce. While I understand that it's more than likely a way to get more people to take public transportation, there are those who do drive in the city on a daily basis. You have your average Joe who drives in the city weekdays. That will be an extra $40.00 a week/$160.00 per month. That is a big liability for alot of households.
I'm in New York very often. I take the train to Penn Station, then take cabs, or walk depending on where I'm headed, so this doesn't effect me outright. That being said, I'm not a proponent of this.

top topics

join