It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accidental Subliminal Messaging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I wonder if this is anything unique, or just nothing.

Has it ever happened to you when you're writing something, and either speak with someone else at the same time, or listen to someone else speak, and you somehow write words that they are saying, even though you clearly know what you want to write...

example, I was talking with my boss and wanted to write down on a note
Wednesday Night.... as soon as I wrote Wednesday, he mentioned he's going to lunch and I wrote Lunch as the 2nd word, despite my conscious mind knowing I wanted to write Night.

This shows an example of how when someone is concentrating, and when the conscious mind is quiet for a split second, it is possible to quickly tap into the sub-conscious and implant a suggestion.

I don't have any links to support anything like this as this is a personal experience of mine, but I know happened many times before. I'm wondering whether you can 'train' yourself to know exactly when the conscious mind of a person takes 5, and can quickly suggest a word/thought to the person without them even realizing it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Yeah this happens to me quite a lot actually. I spend alot of time writing for Uni and stuff, and just the other day I was attempting to write down some info on a current criminal law... but was also listening to my dad who is renevating out bathroom and was saying he needed more nails, and so as he said it I wrote 'nails' in stead of legislation. I have never considered it in the way you are though. It is kind of interesting in light of your post.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I just think it's a minor form of sensory overload, where your brain kind of accidentally switches gears one minute from concentrating on the task at hand to other people in the background. I think everyone has had it happen at least a couple of times, but it's not really something that happens to you every day. There is nothing really subliminal about it... you clearly hear them say the word, and you write it. It's more of an automatic writing if anything. You could find "subliminal messages" and backmasking just by coincedence in almost any ordinary conversation though.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hmmm... kinda like Freudian Slips. I'm not sure if they're subliminal in the sense of trying to get someone else to think or do something, but subconscious for sure.

Yesterday I put on new bed sheets but when I was telling someone I said, "I put new spreadsheets on the bed". Freekin' Excel databases...

When it's funniest is the news I think. FoxNews botched up a report on J-Lo and another with Top Cops. They're not kid appropriate else I'd post the youtube links, but goes to show sometimes our brain like to make comedy out of our ability to speak. I say when it happens, live it with, laugh with it, and roll right along.
Maybe they reflect something of ourselves, maybe "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". If that last line didn't make ya chuckle, here's how it came about:

"A quote attributed to Sigmund Freud. It means that sometimes you don't have to look deeply for answers or meanings, and you should just take things at face value.
For those of you unfamiliar with Freud's work, he talked a lot about the subconscious, and how it sends messages to consciousness. (I'm oversimplifying things, naturally, as it would be impossible (or at any rate I'm not going to attempt) to explain Freud's theories in depth here). For example, as many parts of sexuality are repressed, they stay out of consciousness. But still they come up on various forms, most notably in dreams. Even then, a *****, for example is a strong image, so the subconscious, in order to protect the fragile consciousness, hides the ***** in the shape of something else. For example a cigar. In fact, one of Freud's best known examples is that a cigar actually represents (or signifies) a *****.

Well, as everyone knows, Freud smoked cigars. One day, allegedly, a student asked him about what this signifies. And Freud replied "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

edited version for family friendliness.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
My brother in law can end my sentences before I say them. I find this very strange normally it in a conversation and we only meet and talk about 5 times a year. Personally, I figured that I was simple and predicable but maybe its a gift? Who knows.........

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hehe, this is an interesting point. My sig. other and I when we were first going out used to do this a lot. We thought it was funny and cute. These days we get annoyed at each other for doing it because we're cutting each other off. "Will you let me finish? I wasn't necessarily going to say that. I might have changed it, you don't know..."

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It happens when you talk too, haha some funny times when that happens.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I believe if a person knows me well enough, not only can they predict my next sentence, they know the entire half of my side of the conversation. Again with the spousal example:

"Well, if I told you , then you'd say , then I said , then I'd say , then you'd say , and then would happen..."

At the point I just smile, knowing it's absolutely correct.

I've noticed it in games too. A good player will predict everything I do though a series of logical "if, then" statements. If this is done, then I will do that in return. Most of the time when I lose, it's because they've "figured me out". Only by breaking my loop will they stop winning after that point. Only by breaking my loop will they stop winning after that point. Only by breaking my loop will they stop winning after that point.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
saint4God,

So we are predicable or you think its just "know someone" that well to finish the conversation or would it be a special gift?

Glad I stumbled on to this topic its been on my mind everytime I see my brother in law. Like how does he do that? No one else I know even comes close.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keebie
saint4God,

So we are predicable or you think its just "know someone" that well to finish the conversation or would it be a special gift?

I think we can be predictable (in the example of sig. other and gamer-friends). It doesn't explain every case though. You've heard the phrase "great minds think alike" but it may be more accurate to say "similar minds think alike". It would be really impressive if you were from Kenya and you had an eskimo friend that thought the same way you do. I'm sure it could happen, though with different upbringings, cultural experiences, language, logical methodologies, it's be much less likely. Funny example of that. I went to England last year (am from U.S.) and when I got off the plane, the friends whom I just met in person for the first time dressed just like the crew I grew up with - mostly black with camoflague, long hair, etc. I was thinking "It's my ole gamer friends!". Was it coincidence? Was it other things we had in common that kind of drew us to be friends? Is there a profile of what a gamer-person is like? I don't know. I don't wear black and camo nor like wearing boots.

When talking about DNA, scientists have mapped the human genome. We now know how many variables one could possibly have. If you ask someone their favorite color, they're probably not going to say "ultraviolet" or "infrared". It's going to be one found in the rainbow, grey, black or white, typically. What are the odds two or more people are going to have the same color pick? Pretty good. Things get more complicated with more variables. That's what dating services try to do is match them up. Finding two people who like (for example): The color red, romantic movies, fast food, jazz music, and long summers. Is it hard to match that description? Probably moreso than just the color red.

Another theory would be purpose. This blows up like a powerkeg whenever I mention it and I get called all kinds of nasty satirical names based upon my username. Maybe nothing is accidental at all. I'll leave it at that for now unless someone is interested.

Originally posted by Keebie
Glad I stumbled on to this topic its been on my mind everytime I see my brother in law. Like how does he do that? No one else I know even comes close.

It's more of a mystery for someone more distant like a brother in law. For a spouse I think it has more to do with age...er...experience! Yes, experiences, that's it. *nods unconvincingly*

[edit on 26-9-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It's more of a mystery for someone more distant like a brother in law. For a spouse I think it has more to do with age...er...experience! Yes, experiences, that's it. *nods unconvincingly*

I agree very much! Nice inputs thank you!

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Okay y'all, this is funky. I don't believe this to be true, but apparently reverse speech is supposed to have subliminal messages. Not talking about rock and roll songs here, but murder confessions and political speeches. Check it out:

OJ Simpson: www.youtube.com...

Various Politicians (Edwards and Blair is funny :-D): www.youtube.com...

Hillary Clinton: www.youtube.com...

George Bush: www.youtube.com...

Other famous people (Roswill denial included, Osama Bin Laden speaking English backwards. Tonya Harding was hilarious): www.youtube.com...

Subconscious, subliminal truth? Or are we hearing what we want to hear?

top topics

join