posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 12:12 AM
Welcome, take the time to explore and enjoy yourself. There is something here for most everyone. My brother is more into paranormal stuff, and i'm
into more military, economic,political, and religious stuff. I lurked forever and finally joined up after a while. The staff is great and evenhanded.
Be warned however this is truly an addictive site!
As a Georgia boy myself (currently living in Bama) I'd like to pass on a couple of tips I've found over the years.
1. Most important don't let anyone, no matter how much they piss you off drag you into a name calling contest. Even if they deserve it, even if you
are right, just don't do it. Ettiquette rules are ruthlessly enforced.
2. When you post, bring your A-game. Lots of smart people on here and if your thesis is weak, they will call you on it quick.
3. Do your best at being grammatically correct. This one gets me, but lots of folks expect every post to look like it was profesionally proofread. I
don't know if it's out of anal retentiveness (which I understand being married to an English major), or if it's just a form of acedemic elitism by
certain members. I've seen many a poster just give up because someone hit them with the grammar/spelling stick.
4. Dig in explore, get overwhelmed, read the handbook, and most importantly enjoy the FREE exchange of ideas and Deny Ignorance.
5. ATS has the most user friendly Citation toolkit that I've seen anywhere if you like to post and link outside stuff you'll learn to love it.