It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN.COM and Respectability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I really didn't know where to post this. I have a few comments about the ATSNN.COM site. These go to the site administrators, but anyone can comment.

To start off, the site is a very good idea in my opinion. Please do not take offense to this post.

I have a few complaints though. The biggest complaint comes along with the biggest plus side to the entire idea. The ability for anyone to post a story on the site is a great idea. It does though have a downside. Some people who post can make the rest of the site lose respectability.

On the message board, it is somewhat acceptable to have gramatical errors. Most people slip up now and then in their comments (especially me), but I was under the impression that ATSNN.COM was an attempt to create a respectable news source (it really might not matter to anyone). If this is truly the goal, there may need to be some sort of screening process. Some of the actual articles (not responses) on the site are difficult to even read or understand.

These types of issues, like I said earlier, are acceptable in a message such as this. They are not acceptable if the intent is to be an established news source some day.

Now I know that ASTNN probably doesn't have journalists. It probably doesn't have field researchers. It surely is not a business (at least to the scale of major news sources). It still is a great idea, and has serious potential. I have gone there and read news as if it was cnn.com. Someday, there is a possibility that many people would do the same.

Good luck with your ideas.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I agree and I will even go on to say that some of the "reporters" and "editors" are not on par gramatically. They also tend to let some stories that IMO are little more than a link with one liners. That IMO is not anything that deserves to be put on this site. Again, just MO.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
For any web destination effort is a beast that demands content and time. The trade off for fresh new content versus pulitzer material has been discussed, and frankly the most well written site in the world that is a step behind everyone else gets no traffic.

I think the hits have been pretty telling, shocking actually. It's a good idea, that in reality turned out to be a great one. Member/contributer feelings of "ownership" are at a high (from my limited perspective) despite some of the most pantently self described "suspicious" people on the net regarding any efforts toward change.

Though all efforts could improve, the member writing is well and above the majority of home grown efforts out there in web world. What strikes me, is the unseen amount of time and effort that must be required going into this. I know S.O. (for example) writes and posts alot to keep content moving, but is also required to do alot of editing (no doubt) and formatting. Or someone is.

Yes, members should work harder on writing, but also not getting their feelings hurt about editing. There's not a paper in the world that doesn't edit the grammatical, and in some cases opinion of the author. For the most part, the ATSNN zone is partisan free and should be commended. If anything, I'd like to see more editing and editorial control from mgt to that end (time permitting, of course).

What should be unique to ATSNN authorship efforts is the perspective of the ATS skeptic or follow through to other board efforts, and I think that form of non-partisan opinion will evolve naturally over time as everyone gets used to putting a mainstream 'face' on a board for conspiracy theorists.

But yes, spell check should be a no brainer.

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Rant,

I agree with everything you say. I would though, like to point out that a lot of hard work and intense dedication could be rendered useless if others don't respect it. Competing with established news sources may not be the goal, or it might be the main goal. In either case, a headline story on any news source should be reviewed before being issued.

If the person is not sure of his/ her ability to spell or write in an accepted fasion, then that person should take steps to correct the problem. If not for his or herself, then for the people who do put long hours and dedicate themselves to this project.

Again....good luck and great idea!

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Seapeople, why don't you submit a couple of articles and see how it is.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
I have a few complaints though. The biggest complaint comes along with the biggest plus side to the entire idea. The ability for anyone to post a story on the site is a great idea. It does though have a downside. Some people who post can make the rest of the site lose respectability.

That is indeed a double edged sword, we've been somewhat easy on the rules as the project is only 2 weeks old, however, you will now be expected to fully adhere to posting rules when submitting a story, with exceptions only to Alerts.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Seapeople, why don't you submit a couple of articles and see how it is.

ktprktpr,

I don't submit stories simply because all of the stories I would know have already come from elsewhere. Also, I imagine that I lack any significant journalistic skills.

I get the impression though by your comment "and see how it is", that you think I can't do it. Or maybe that I shouldn't be saying these things. What exactly "would I see" if I posted a story? I might be getting the wrong impression from your comment though. I guess you will just have to let me know what you mean.

Nerdling,
I am glad you understood what I meant. Just from reading around I have gathered that you have a strong part in the ATSNN site. Good luck with your efforts.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... Already covered.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Seapeople- I'm just inviting you to try. It's quite fun and I get a rush from every valuable ATSNN post I make! Whoopie!

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by ktprktpr]

new topics

top topics

join