It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Great lakes' seen on Titan moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

'Great lakes' seen on Titan moon

news.bbc.co.uk

The Cassini spacecraft has discovered possible evidence for lakes filled with liquid hydrocarbons around the north pole of Saturn's moon Titan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
saturn.jpl.nasa.gov
www.esa.int

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hmm... Makes me really wonder if methane based life forms exist.
Because if we can exist from liquid water, only if there is an abuncance,
whats to say diffrent forms of life can\'t exist from methane liquid?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-8-2007 by Renshin]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renshin

Hmm... Makes me really wonder if methane based life forms exist.
Because if we can exist from liquid water, only if there is an abuncance,
whats to say diffrent forms of life can\'t exist from methane liquid?

[edit on 4-8-2007 by Renshin]

I think it's very possible. I think that live can exist under many different conditions. I really don't think that the way life is on Earth is the only way that life can exist, and I think it's pretty close-minded to believe that this is the only way life can exist. You can't state that it can only happen in one way, when you don't know. However, until we put something down on a planet/moon that can check, we'll never know.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Life there seems plausible. I will not be suprised when energy companies start looking for hydrocarbon sources on other planets. I'm against any tainting other worlds with our selfish behavior, but given how we have treated this planet it is almost a given that eventually humans will start importing natural resources from other planets/moons. If it comes down to our survival and sending a star trek like fleet beyond our solar system we will have to do what is necessary. I am sure there are a few other moons with methane/hydrocarbon reseviours and finding life there would be huge news to the lay man, in the long term I do believe we will be using other worlds fuel and natural resources.

new topics

top topics

join