It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-118: Omnibus Thread

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Commander Kelly and Pilot Hobaugh had a little problem with their Windows 2000 equipped re-entry sim training laptops. I saw a BSOD stack dump screen.

They've changed out the offending laptop which may have had an incorrect power supply plugged into it and Commander Kelly is working the landing software just fine now. This is the first time I can recall NASA showing this training from the "over-the-shoulder" perspective - reminds me of the older MS Flight Simulator graphics.

Oops, spoke too soon - looks like the software just "kicked him out"... back to desktop - software restarted OK. Looks like KSC training, I think I saw the big lake in the middle of Florida. This is a treat.

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: 10:30AM EDT - Endeavour's crew has just been given the news that late detailed inspections are all AOK. STS-118 is cleared for entry and landing Tuesday.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
An STS-118 pic taken about 12:07PM EDT:

The Education Event to Saskatchewan went well. B. Morgan paid a nice compliment to the Canadarm trainers. Meanwhile on ISS - Clayton Anderson is the most humourous, fun loving astro ever! His setup of the EPO growth chambers was as hilarious as well done.

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: The crew has been given permission not to close out the SpaceHab (without it OV-105 is a bit crowded) until tomorrow pre-entry. There will be a NASA press briefing at 2:30PM and an MMT press briefing about 4:00PM EDT and the TVSKED is up to Revision Q.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Don't know what that "spot" is V., but have you noticed that there are about 15 similar ones in the Hi-res images the shuttle took of Hurricane Dean?

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I hadn't looked at it much at all till you pointed it out. On the high-res... Hmmm. What do you make of them makeitso? Camera artifact? It's funny what you find when you look - good scoop.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'll have to pass on a full analysis of what they could be. Not my field.

They range from at least 2 solid black ones, thru semi-transparent circles similar to some of the ones in your screenshots.

Could be multiple items causing it, things ranging from low orbit satellite between the shuttle and earth, to camera artifacts.

Weird though, given that there is about 24 of them by my last count.

[edit]
I was hoping you had some ideas.

There is a link to the video on the right side of this page but its too small to make them out in it as far as I can tell.

[edit on 8/20/07 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Not my field either. Interesting though. I don't see the notion of a satellite as being too likely, not impossible though. The great bulk of satellites are not in low earth orbit at 214 Miles up, they are far higher. Once one goes much below 200 Miles well... have a nice trip down without a boost.

I've just looked at the video from that one today... and I found another earlier at 11:42AM EDT... a pic or two

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Both press briefings this afternoon were informative. Wayne Hale did "characterize" the potential hazards of the ET feedline brackets as "not possible catastrophic". OK. He then added that the status is "under review".

Um, any "luckier" a hit on the OV belly - say losing two tiles in sequence - and that could well be catastrophic. I hope they do some sort of "fix" to the external tanks with the same brackets designs whether coating, or some foam removal, a tanking restriction or a new bracket or some combination of all. The flaw is there, it can, and has happened - "fix it" is the first thought in my head.

Tomorrow the weather (Dean) doesn't seem as much an issue... two tries at KSC and Edwards as backup. It was mentioned that Edwards "wasn't in the picture" for Tuesday unless Wednesday's forecast is worse. Endeavour can stay on-orbit unassisted till Friday when she runs out of "air-scrubber" - a return to ISS is not out of the question in an emergency.

The Ku band antenna is now stowed so no more live video from Endeavour this trip. Things will get interesting tomorrow at about 10:00AM EDT with a "Go/No Go" for de-orbit burn about an hour or so later.

The belly damage is still a concern for me. Even more of a concern is the feedline umbilical door condition which hasn't been commented on since Flight Day 1. They didn't get a closed light - it "looks" closed so - "fingers-crossed".

It was stated that the station will be changing config on Aug 30th (nominal) when some modules will be restacked in preparation for the next flight with a nominal launch date of October 23rd.

The Endeavour 7 wake at 4:36AM EDT (which fits my sked!), payload bay doors close at 8:45AM EDT and the first opportunity for the de-orbit TIG burn is 11:25AM with a KSC touchdown at about 12:30PM EDT.

Cheers for the Endeavour 7,
and

Vic

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
The belly damage is still a concern for me. Even more of a concern is the feedline umbilical door condition which hasn't been commented on since Flight Day 1. They didn't get a closed light - it "looks" closed so - "fingers-crossed".

I agree , both of these, have me worried, as well.

And if you're worried , this Joe Amateur, is more worried.

Although I thought I heard, they've come back with a deeper hole in the tiles,
in a similar area, on the belly, and had no problems.

Did you hear the same, Vic?

Man I can't believe this mission is almost over. I really wanted to focus in on the event, this time, but just too busy.

Got to say , though, finally getting hooked up to streaming NASA TV , has been an amazing treat.

Gotta love those Views!!

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
There is a small leak in the pressurized nitrogen tank and/or accumulator in the port OMS pod of OV-105. It "powers" the valve that allows the hypergolic propellants to mix and provide thrust from the main port OMS thruster.

This is not a serious issue at this time; the tank is losing 13PSI per day - at that rate according to NASA's Steve Stich, "could last twenty days." The Shuttle can "lose" a number of thrusters and the others can compensate including that one. It is not good to have your spaceship leaking as a general rule of thumb - so far since the re-fit there have only been a few technical problems. There could have been and could be more.

A pipe vibrated so that Commander Kelly noticed during a waste water dump, he reported that to Houston. The ice crystals passing the windows were spectacular - "like fireflies" but all swirling-random.

So far STS-118 has been "kind of exciting" for both positive and negative reasons. On-orbit activities have gone really well. On the ground STS-118 may well be remembered as the flight that NASA discovered they still had an External tank problem and the belly tile "repair vs no-repair" on orbit is a unique event. Not much to do but land and that is much to do.

Good luck to Endeavour and her crew!

Vic

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Hi Jbird. I believe that STS-26 came back missing 85 cubic inches of tile... some missing, some extensive shallow gouges in the HRCI. There was no "burn through" in any spots.

The big unknown with missing tiles is "when" did they fall off - some have popped at touchdown... some have been missing as photographed by the chase jets at landing. They do fall off. They do erode.

No one can confirm that an orbiter has ever come back "all the way" from space missing belly tile - that is an unknown. It is a safe-ish bet. I'm not a gambler.

This is the first time visible "thought repairable" whacked belly tile has been found.

I find myself wanting them to have painted it at least. All the "sims" - are sims. I really want NASA to be right. JSC Engineering Team (not an individual "The" Team) wanted it fixed - the first time they have ever dissented. Others dissent against a variety of stuff (most often in their own area of expertise) - not JSC ET they only do the engineering of the spaceship.

5:40:00 till crew wake up for Flight Day 14,

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
7:39AM EDT - about 5 hours to touchdown on KSC "One Five" on a nominal first attempt. The flight deck switch check list has just been completed. Kennedy weather is good with the second attempt opportunity having a possibility of slightly higher cross winds that opportunity one. Edwards has not been called up for today - payload bay door nominal closing in about one hour.

All systems nominal, 3:49:00 till nominal 1st attempt de-orbit burn. Kathy Winters is not working "officially" the weather today, but the positive forecast holds.

Cheers and best luck for Endeavour!

Vic

EDIT: 8:41AM EDT: Commander Kelly has been given the "Go" for payload bay door "auto close" (which doesn't always work) and Pilot Hobaugh has switched the door radiators to bypass mode and the flash evaporators for the APU's have been brought online. KSC winds light, showers lessening as they move on shore. Weather looks good for KSC One Five, orbit 201 or 202.
MET 12 days 14:12:15

9:02AM EDT: OV-105 is "Go" for OPS-3 landing software transition. Almost Pumpkin suit and huggies time. Payload bay door closure was nominal. Steve Lindsay will be doing local weather checks and likely some touches on runway One Five in the STA Gulfstream in the next hour. www.nasa.gov/ntv

[edit on 21-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
9:55AM EDT: An ADTA-3 (an air pressure sensor of 4 in the orbiter nose) has been playing up - it is not a problem and a "long power cycle" has reset it. The shuttle training aircraft is in the air. 90 minutes until nominal de-orbit TIG burn. Weather good at KSC with a shower to the South having skirted the 30 mile "weather radius".

Barbara Morgan gets to ride upstairs on the flight deck on the way home.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Spotty clouds at KSC live on NASA-TV. Startin' to get "real" - the crew's been given a "Go" for fluid loading (helps with post-return vestibular hassles - 8 fluid ounces with salt and sugar every 15 minutes)... almost time to pull them belts tight one more time and ask for the favours of good grace and a safe trip downhill!!!!

The anticipation by the crew must be something to "feel" - no matter how "ho-hum" they make it seem. "Endeavour!"

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: 10:37AM EDT - Good news, less winds than forecast. A shower to the East may force a switch to KSC runway Three three. No problem.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm usually gone off to bed by now, but I'm eagerly waiting for the return.
The TV is staying on CNN until wheel stop, and I'll get the NASA feed on the internet.

Though lift off has to be the most exciting, the trip back down must be a great ride.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Kinda fun seeing the eagles fly by the cameras at the landing site.

Anyone see that?

Here's hoping that at least one big eagle lands OK in an hour or two.

Capcom, all the feathers look intact on this one.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hi anx'. Hi Badge'. If you like the Eagles you'll "love" the turtles at KSC, Operation Dark Dune. KSC actually is a protected wildlife area.

Oh Dinah!! Go for "burn" in 15 minutes.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
APU's are "up". 4 minutes to TIG burn. Here's the terminal landing track for KSC One Five.

Houston : Good configure for the orbit burn in 15 seconds.

Fingers-crossed. Prayer said.

Vic

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ok, go for burn, I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

Just signed on and I'm watching with you guys.

Good luck to control and crew!

Badge- Ive seen the buzzards , fly by the camera, but not an eagle.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Good burn - no trim. Delta V 252MPH/370FPS. Entry interface at 400,000 feet over the Pacific touchdown in one hour. Good to power down the OMS gimbals. It all starts now. www.nasa.gov/ntv

Vic

EDIT: To add generic shuttle re-entry temp vs time graph.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
also following the landing. re-entry to begin in around 22 mins fingers crossed -www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 21-8-2007 by fiftyfifty]

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join