It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid Meteors set to Dazzle..12th/13th of August

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Going off on a not completely off-topic tangent:

I was watching video of the astronauts inspecting the shuttle etc

Isn't that an extraordinarily hazardous thing to be doing during the known & expected shower of small rocks up there? It would have to be like standing near the targets on the rifle range during a shoot.

I wouldn't class being inside the vehicle at the time as being all that much safer for that matter

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I'd like to think NASA are smart enough to do the repairs when their orbit is on the reverse side from the meteor shower.

Also, I'm not sure what the altitudes would be for the meteors "grazing" our atmosphere compared to the shuttle and spacestation.

Good point though.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
WOW, I mean WOW!

Monday night was my best viewing chance yet.
I must have seen 30 to 40 total..mostly dim ones.
But there were a few very bright ones..Most had a pinkish hue.

I managed to get ONE photograph, showing the coppery pink color.
I'll post it in a couple of hours.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Well, after many hours of open camera shutters.

That's the best I came up with so far.
It was taken Monday night.
I hope you enjoy it.

Anyone else get a shot?

If so, lets see it!

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I saw about 15-20 on Sunday night, most of them pretty bright. I didn't think I'd see much since I live in a big, light polluted city. It was a nice surprise. Couldn't see anything on Monday because of storms. At one point I was looking through high powered binoculars just to see what I could find and a meteor passed right through where I was looking. Darn near wet myself.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I saw a few like that spacedoubt, but most had no color to the naked eye. It seems to me that they have more color early on in the night when the radiant is low and the meteors are long. Saw 136 Perseids on Sunday night/Monday morning, and most were bright. One of the best displays I've seen from them overall. Bring on the Leonids and Geminids!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join