It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imports Overtake Domestic Sales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

CNN/Money

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Sales plunged worse than expected at U.S. automakers in July, allowing import brands to overtake their domestic rivals for the first time, even as weak demand for autos spread to Asian and European manufacturers.

Combined, the U.S. automakers - General Motors, Ford Motor and the Chrysler Group unit that is being sold by DaimlerChrysler - reported a 19 percent decline in sales in July versus a year earlier, compared to single-digit declines or even modest gains reported by most overseas automakers in the period.

The sales left the domestic brands with only 48.1 percent of U.S. sales, down 4 percentage points from a year earlier and off of the previous low, set in June of this year, of 50.2 percent.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's the unions that driving U.S. manufacturing out of business. I hope they'll be happy when they're unemployed and we have no more manufacturing capability left!

[edit on 8/1/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Oh dear it every one fault but mine for as long as the Unions continue to get the blame nothing will change. US car makers need to adjust to local market demands and produce designs that cater to the demands of the local and overseas market.
I'm no fan of militant unions but I don't think that workers taking the likes of pay cuts is the fix here. Any company that cant adopted to market demands doesn't deserve to be in business. Besides if corporate executives continue to get massive payouts that aren't related to the performance of a company there will be no incentive for there methods to change.

Ultimately US car makers will most likely end up planting themselves in China because even with out the presence of Unions there is no way that the wages bill could be as low as it would be in China.

So why try and win a race that cant be won and will only life more difficult for workers ?

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I think it's the unions that driving U.S. manufacturing out of business. I hope they'll be happy when they're unemployed and we have no more manufacturing capability left!

[edit on 8/1/2007 by djohnsto77]

Dude, do you know that American Union workers put these cars together? I agree that Unions are not helping the economy but American workers put these cars together here in the US. Not very many cars sold in the US that aren't built here.

join