It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Peace Index Ranks USA 96 Out of 121

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Found this info on the Vision of Humanity Website.

This is a new website and this is their mission or "aims".

The Global Peace Index aims to:

1.) Highlight to the general population the relative position of nations’ and regions’ peacefulness;
2.) Catalyse philanthropic support for further research of peace and funding of peace initiatives;
3.) Serve as a foundation for primary, secondary and tertiary educational study;
4.) Emphasise the need for governments to consider the drivers of peace in policy decisions.

They rank the USA 96 out of 121 countries on their list:

Rankings

This section lists the results of the analysis into each nation's peace. This is the prime table in the Global Peace Index section. The countries are ranked from most peaceful to least peaceful, highlighting their ranking as well as their score. You can click on a country to see the detail of its peace indicators and drivers.

Norway is listed as the #1 most peaceful nation, and not surprisingly, Iraq was listed as 121.

Please go to the Link below to see chart (it wouldn't copy and paste right).

Global Peace Index

They use alot of different indicators to come up with a system to rank peaceful nations. Below is a link to the USA's index.

Rankings - USA

The rankings are given a number from 1 to 5. 1 being the most peaceful.

Some of their rankings of the USA were disturbing,

Respect for Human Rights ...................................3
Number of jailed population per 100,000 people ....5
Potential for Terrorist Acts ...................................4

This is how they ranked the USA compared to 121 other countries. 5 being the worst number.

I was most surprised at these three.

[edit on 30/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm curious as to some things.

Why are they only listing 121 nations?
The last time I checked there were 168 internationally/UN recognized nations
in the world, so why've they left out 47 countries.

Another thing, why is PRChina listed so far ahead of us, they are hardly a peaceful nation,
unless you count killing people and using authoritarian tactics to scare there own
population into obedience.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Definately at site with an agenda.

Some points I do not agree with.

Number of jailed people per 100,000. The U.S. gets a 5.

How about this? If we let out 75% of the criminals in jail right now would the U.S. be safer tomorrow? Would that get us to a 1?

More criminals in jail makes us safer. So this score is outrageous.

Military capability/sophistication The U.S. gets a 5.

I guess they never heard of the correct phrase of "Peace through Strength." It just happened to peacefully end the Cold War.

Importance of Religion in national life The U.S. gets a 4.

I can see how this would apply to Arab countries. I don't see the relevence to a place where people have freedom of religion.

They even have something relating the percentage of women in parliment. The U.S. has a score of 16%. I take it to mean the more women in government the more peaceful the country is? That is also a crock.

My take is that this is some kind of liberal website trying to distort the greatness of the United States.

[edit on 31-7-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Respect for Human Rights ...................................3
Potential for Terrorist Acts ...................................4

I would disagree. We have a lot of respect for human rights. Just sometimes too much respect for people who have selfish agendas but lots of money!
Ok we jail a lot of people. Some of it is injustice. Others it was actually a service to the criminal!... they should be put to death! Why should I pay for some screwball who can't handle society to have a life in jail? Just do them in! Hell, we all come with an expiration date.
Potential for Terrorist Acts... well this country does incite a lot of hatred by parading around the world with their economic agenda but we have done alot of great things for poorer countries. It's just the leaders of those countries don't like our culture of enligtenment so they spew negative propaganda to their citizens.

This is how I would rate the US of A

Respect for Human Rights ...................................2
Potential for Terrorist Acts ...................................3

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
nYk537 Stupid Index Ranks "Vision of Humanity" 121 out of 121

Pure agenda based political crap.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is just a classic website!

Lets take quick look at the top 5 most peaceful countries on the planet.

In 5th... Japan. Where the people are not allowed to be naughty apart from in some bizarre sexual way. If they do commit some weirdness they kill themselves and therefore nobody knows about it!

In 4th... Ireland. Where everyone is far too pissed to care.

In 3rd... Denmark. "We go live to Denmark for an interview with The Little Mermaid" Eeekkk eeekkkke eekkkkk *Camera lens shatters*

In 2nd...New Zealand. Would the 5% of the population that don't wear wool all year round. Please stand up. Baaaaaa!

And the all time most peaceful place on Earth is...

Norway.

Where the Fudge is Norway?

Great site - hope the continue with the humour.

MonKey

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Definately at site with an agenda.

Some points I do not agree with.

Number of jailed people per 100,000. The U.S. gets a 5.

How about this? If we let out 75% of the criminals in jail right now would the U.S. be safer tomorrow? Would that get us to a 1?

More criminals in jail makes us safer. So this score is outrageous.

but having more criminals overall makes the country more dangerous...
the whole point is the amount of crime. sweden, for example, has less crime and therefore less people in prisons.

Military capability/sophistication The U.S. gets a 5.

I guess they never heard of the correct phrase of "Peace through Strength." It just happened to peacefully end the Cold War.

yeah.. because the US military and not civil displeasure with the russian system is what ended the cold war
i'll be telling my russian friends that.

Importance of Religion in national life The U.S. gets a 4.

I can see how this would apply to Arab countries. I don't see the relevence to a place where people have freedom of religion.

yeah... it is relevant when we also have a freedom from religion and a separation of religion and government.
the more of a role religion plays in the government, the more dangerous.

They even have something relating the percentage of women in parliment. The U.S. has a score of 16%. I take it to mean the more women in government the more peaceful the country is? That is also a crock.

...no, it has more to do with respect for women. it's called being socially progressive... no, wait, at this point it shouldn't be all that progressive to consider women as equals...
the actually statistics show that an american voter is less likely to vote for a woman just because she is a woman... not exactly the type of rational mindset that fosters peace

My take is that this is some kind of liberal website trying to distort the greatness of the United States.

it would help if you could demonstrate this greatness instead of just spouting off jingoism

and iori_komei, to answer your question...
how many wars has china started in the last 3 decades?
america?

[edit on 11/3/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to decry this as some sort of "liberal" attempt to bring down the Mighty US of A...

Oh dear lord...

My own country got 49th. Not a great ranking, sandwiched between Morocco and Mozambique, so I looked further into the score. Found I rather agreed with the assessment, on a broad basis:

UK Score

And to the foolish fool who said "where is Norway".. I do hope you were joking

Norway was declared the best standard of living in the world, according to some International body, so that tallies with it's ranking of 1 here.

Really, is it something to get so narky about? So your not number 1 in the "Peace" rankings. So what?

Does it have to "USA! Number 1! USA! Number 1!" all the time?

America does have a violent culture, alot of crime and plenty of murders. It blows other countries up for something to do.

Did you honestly expect to come top?

I certainly didn't expect the UK to score as much as it did!

new topics

top topics

join