It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TLP Mystery Solved, The Moon Is Just An Old Girl That Farts Sometimes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It seems that the mystery of Trans Lunar Phenomena, those strange flashes, has been solved. There's an interesting story on Space.com that's worth reading if you've followed this mystery at all.

"People over the years have attributed TLPs to all sorts of effects: turbulence in Earth's atmosphere, visual physiological effects, atmospheric smearing of light like a prism, and even psychological effects like hysteria or planted suggestion," said Columbia University researcher Arlin Crotts.

Using data from decades-old observations, Crotts and colleagues have now found a strong correlation between TLP sightings and regions where lunar orbiting spacecraft have detected gas leaking out from beneath the lunar surface.

www.space.com...

So the old girl seems to have a bit of a gas problem, and I don't think Beano or Gas-x is gonna stop the flatulence anytime soon.

But it may turn out to be something useful for future inhabitants of the Moon.

Whatever mechanism initiates their release, Crotts suspects that the inert gases will be mixed with others of a more volcanic nature. "This is just speculation, but the prime volcanic suspects would be carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O)," Crotts said.

If lunar outgassing is a source of CO, CO2 or H2O, this could prove useful to future lunar colonies, supplying drinking water and fuel for example and saving billions of dollars in transportation costs.
See link above....

The whole article is worth a read, and it includes several links, but the gassy old girl may have more resources than any of us have ever realized.

EDIT: sp

[edit on 30/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Interesting. It appears that the Moon's resources may just well make it the next celestial body raped by our species.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
But it's not a planet...

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow why do poeple need to miss the whole big picture to correct one word.

Anyway it seems likely the moon is the next "rock" that will be raped by our species.Good find man.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What should we do then if we don't want to "rape" other planets? There are probably billions upon billions of uninhabited planets/moons out there.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rostam
But it's not a planet...

It will be when earth is mangled and we are all on the moon looking at our new green glowing moon... Earth.

I volunteer to drink the moon water... and maybe the gas.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
lol when you drink the water and gas can i watch?I volunteer to watch haha

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Rostam:

I've corrected the typo. Should I have said satellite, or do you think celestial body is ok?
I wasn't sure since the Moon's proper name seems to be "Moon" or "Luna", yet we refer to other planets as having "moons".

Originally posted by Dan5647
What should we do then if we don't want to "rape" other planets? There are probably billions upon billions of uninhabited planets/moons out there.

Good point. But, I think there needs to be an International (Interstellar?) Organization set-up to police corporations and governments (as if there's any difference these days) on what can and can not be mined to an extent that it affects an entity's enviroment.

My fear is that if we were to start harvesting the Moon's resources, depleting it of what it has been comprised of for millions of years, it may affect it's mass and/or orbit, thus affecting Earth's environment. We all know the Moon's gravitational pull regulates the tides of this planet.

I'm not totally against mining the resources of the Moon, I just think excavation of the moon should be done responsibly and in a manner to benefit the people of this Earth, not the major corporations or dominate governments.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The moon is our next logical step away from our planet, and any resources we can use there are of value. We can't stay on this one ball of dirt forever.

I hate to hear the word "RAPE" when we consider harvesting materials from another celestial body, and any impact humankind has on the moon will be minimal over the next few hundred years.

Not very many of us are Luddites, and those that are won't be going to the moon.
So I say dig it up, drill into it, and use whatever resources available to create a thriving colony that's not dependent on Earth.

I can't understand why anyone would object to using the moon for whatever mankind needs ?
It's not like we could remove enough material to change it's mass.:shk:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So this is the big news of the day, big enough to appear as "the" story to read on the main page?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
So this is the big news of the day, big enough to appear as "the" story to read on the main page?

I'm not sure why your expressing what appears to be animosity dg

It's been a long standing mystery that may finally have a solution, and may benefit mankind far into the future. The thread has garnered a few replies, but over 900 people have viewed it out of interest.

If these materials are available on the Moon it makes a permanent habitat much more feasible. And it solves a mystery that has been ongoing for hundreds of years.

I think it's a worthy topic.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
So the old girl seems to have a bit of a gas problem, and I don't think Beano or Gas-x is gonna stop the flatulence anytime soon.

Do you think we could treat these scientific subjects with a bit of respect? Your comments are juvenile and irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Why am I being attacked by members instead of members addressing the topic of the thread.

This is an interesting discovery that may have great implications for mankind as we move into space.
The fact that I added a bit of levity to the topic only made it palatable to those that don't follow topics like this on a regular basis.

Add something valid to the thread, or go elsewhere.
I'm really getting sick of this habit of everyone attacking other members just for the sake of making a post.

Shame on you SteveR. :shk:
I thought you were better than that.

Edit: clarity

[edit on 30/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Oh,Oh! here we go! sliding from the topic, to sledging and nit picking!

I enjoyed the article and the introduction. We will need a new place to live or stage from eventually, (this one is too full of political correctness to begin with!)

so every saving on fuel or energy to establish a colony has to be good.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
"Political correctness" is indeed the biggest plague facing our planet.

/off topicness

This is very interesting news indeed. I will keep following this as the moon may indeed be our next stop off in our evolution.

Nice post and thank you.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Reading the linked article pokes a huge hole in the name of this thread and I would change it from "solved" to a "possible cause".

I just looked up some info on this and have to share it so we are all on the same page.

Read where some of the lunar gases come from.
www.nasa.gov...

"The radon concentrations in the lunar atmosphere were determined by measuring the Po-210 progeny activity in artifacts returned from the moon."
www.osti.gov...

SELENE has been delayed.
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

As far as TLP being solved, we need more data from the moon and that isn't going to happen until something lands on the surface, goes into orbit, or NASA lets us know everything if they really are holding back on data.

I don't like shooting holes in names of threads, but this one is very misleading. If you read the linked article the researchers say "likely" or "speculation" in very important parts of the discussion of their idea. That in no way means solved.

Some great links were found because of this thread, thanks!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuan de Fuca
The moon is our next logical step away from our planet, and any resources we can use there are of value. We can't stay on this one ball of dirt forever.

I hate to hear the word "RAPE" when we consider harvesting materials from another celestial body, and any impact humankind has on the moon will be minimal over the next few hundred years.

Not very many of us are Luddites, and those that are won't be going to the moon.
So I say dig it up, drill into it, and use whatever resources available to create a thriving colony that's not dependent on Earth.

I can't understand why anyone would object to using the moon for whatever mankind needs ?
It's not like we could remove enough material to change it's mass.:shk:

The fact is that non-renewable resources do not need to be used. We have plenty of renewable resource technology that can be used to power the world. The major power & energy corporations need to be shut down so that these new technologies can flourish. And that's not even accounting for the technologies invented by people that have been killed because of them.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Interesting indeed.

The implications for future colonization, and exploitation of Lunar resources are extreme.

The moon has no indigenous life, no natives...rape doesn't come into it at all. It's exploitation of available resources, if this is indeed true.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I am still intrigued by "flashes of light" from the Moon... even after 40 years, regardless of how folks may characterize this thread's title. It does offer "an" explanation that does seem science-sound even if "it" may not be the only answer and any "news" that isn't "bad" news is welcome by me at this point. Plenty "bad" to go around... a "surplus" of that sort of news; a bumper crop.

anx's concern about folks "jumping-in" is valid too and I wonder how many potential contributing folks "out-there" see this sort of effort and then remain... as lurkers or are content to discuss matters via u2u only.

Especially on "friendly good spirited news offerings", some consider this sort of treatment as something that "takes away" from community and leaves a qualitative legacy of "less". People tend to notice these things and choose to participate and contribute according to their level of comfort... some will participate and others may not - gift horses are rare - go for a ride, bring some cane-sugar.

anx' knows I am reasonably informed on such "flash" phenomenon and even though I may disagree with anx' from time to time I enjoy the quality of spirit in that particular's members' contributions.

Cheers anx'

Vic

[edit on 31-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but dont those lights sometimes move around the moons surface? I recall someone drawing or making notes of them before our times but cant remember who. How would this theory explain this?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join