It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled Water ... Is City Water?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I found this interesting, and would like to see what people have to think about this...

In the beverage market bottled water is a huge branch of income.... but a new ruling says that the bottles are misleading and can no longer say "spring water" ect on their lables....

Instead they must read "Public Water Source" .......

"If this helps clarify the fact that the water originates from public sources, then it's a reasonable thing to do," said Michelle Naughton, a Pepsi-Cola North America spokeswoman.

Bottled Water is from a tap .. and we pay $1 a bottle or more! ... crazy..

CNN

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Bottled water has consistently one of the most environmentally damaging and economically
scamful things in existence.

I'm glad that this fact is getting more attention.

It's a sad fact that water has become a bottled and sold commodity, and even worse lies
about where it comes from and its 'purity' used in its marketing.

Good thread Rock.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Dasani has been putting "public water source" or something to that effecton there labels. I do know that Poland Spring says there water comes from a "spring." I'd like to know what their definition of "spring" means though

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Dang it Rockpuck you beat me to it.

Seriously though, I have bought cases of bottled water and could've just drank it out of the tap.It does taste better to me though, perhaps that is all in my head.
I certainly will pay more for the purer sources now.Sad but there is enough clorine in my taps to shock a pool I'm sure. It's really gross.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I've heard that Disani is bottled New York City tap water. If it doesn't come from a spring, they can't call it "spring water". Poland Spring water, for instance, comes from springs.

The main difference between spring water and tap water is that tap water has flouride in it. It's also been filtered to remove impurities such as arsenic that naturally occur in ground water.

I buy big bottles of Poland Spring occassionally, and then save the bottles and refill them at home. My kitchen tap water is very crisp and clean, unlike the fire hazard that pours out of the taps at work.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I remember the first time that I had learned that bottled water was really nothing more than municipal tap water. I was dumbfounded. And, just as mentioned, I was more than slightly irked at the thought that I was paying for tap water every time I bought a bottle of water from the store.

A good friend of mine is an inspector for the Ministry of the Environment in Ontario. When I asked about this topic, she told me that bottled water companies are typically mandated to simply supply water at the standard equal to that of the Province. Whether the bottler wants to maintain a standard that is higher is simply up to that supplier.

In essence, what you are buying is pure, clean water. Nothing more. Frankly, when you think about it, what more do you want? You buy water expecting that that water is pure and clean and, just like the water from your tap, this is what you get. Still, it does feel like something of a "rip-off" when you do buy water.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Funny, here in Portugal (and I suppose in all EU countries) all bottles must have its origin and the chemical analysis printed on the label.

For example, I have here a bottle that says something like this:

"Water caught at 1400m altitude in the natural park of Serra da Estrela".

Chemical composition:
Dry residue (at 180ºC) - 19.9mg/l
pH (at 20ºC) - 6.13
SiO2 (silica) - 8.6 mg/l
Ca2+ (Calcium) - 1.18 mg/l
Na+ (Sodium) - 2.5 mg/l
Cl- (Chloride) - 2.9 mg/l
HCO-3 - (Bicarbonate) - 5.2 mg/l
Mineralization - 22.5 mg/l

The companies are responsible for making regular analysis of their water.

PS: where I live, the water comes from an underground source and it's very good.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Bottled Water is from a tap .. and we pay $1 a bottle or more! ... crazy..

Oh it gets crazier
blingH2O. But if you want to really enjoy the taste of Tennesee, (where bling water comes from) and be stylish at the same time then maybe the Limited Edition bottle of water is for you and it only cost $552 USD.
At least they take PayPal

My good friend who delivers water to city and private office buildings in Los Angeles told me that the company he works for re-fills, after a sterilization process, 5 gallon bottles for water dispenser's and the water company just uses tap water that goes through different filtering processes first. It's cleaner and odorless and of course better for you then regular tap water, especially L.A. water
but still the bottom line is .... it's just filtered tap.

Selling of water is such a huge billion dollar industry it makes me wonder what are they going to try and sell next. Anyone remember that classic movie "Space Balls" where Mel Brooks pops open a can of "Perrie-Air", (designer canned air), and takes a breath

IMO all tap water should be automatically filtered like water bottleing companys do and everyone should be getting free bottled water from their faucets.

Until then I'll just stick with my "Brita pitcher"

Bzzzzzzz

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I drink Ice Mountain bottled water. It states on the bottle that it is Natural Spring water and comes from natural spring sources.

All I know is when I turn on my faucet and cloudy water comes out I am not going to drink that kind of water and this ice mountain tastes great and clean.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Bottled water can be a good thing. When you travel to a place far from your own, you might end up getting stomach aces due to germs/ion-concentrations in the local water. Buying bottled water, which usually is way different, can make your vacation much better.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzingOn
Selling of water is such a huge billion dollar industry it makes me wonder what are they going to try and sell next.
A reporter who is a friend of my boss told him some two years ago that here in Portugal we would see a more or less public campaign to try to make people think that tap water was not good enough, so they could convince people to buy those water dispensers.

I noticed after that a spreading of companies that sell the water dispensers, but it did not spread much, they are still limited to sell water to companies and not homes.

The company where I work had a contract with a smaller company, but a little before that talk of the reporter with my boss the company was bought by Nestlé...

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I’ve been drinking distilled water for the past 13 years now. That’s the only type I use to drink and cook with. Distilled water has nothing in it. So I guess it can’t be bad for you. Let’s hope anyways.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I’ve been drinking distilled water for the past 13 years now.

Hmm. I've seen a lot of info about how drinking distilled water exclusively can be harmful. Other studies say not. Who knows? This is another one of those subjects that has evidence on both sides, and when I've looked into it, it's just confusing.

I don't drink or cook with distilled water because it tastes flat to me. We use distilled water in the iron and that's about it. Before sealed auto batteries were available, I used it in the car battery as well.

Distilled water makes lousy coffee (IMO), and actually I like the taste of our tap water, which is a city source.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I usually use Zephrhills spring water (bottled here in Florida) but as a backup, I have a Pur water filter attached to my kitchen faucet. It does a great job of filtering impurities from the tap water.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Existing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join