It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People making redundant posts to snag points

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
OK...how many kitty o' death threads have we got going now? Why do people feel compelled to make redundant threads? I think the answer is simple-points. Now, technically, there may not be a rule about this, but I think if there is not, one needs to be made, because this stuff is plain and ugly spam.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

[edit on 27-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I agree and out of all the kitty knows death posts, many of them have been classified with different (titles)?
breaking news,cryptozoology, and the list continues my friend...

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Inappropriate duplicate threads are usually shut down pretty quickly. I think it's more of an accident than trying to get points. I think almost everybody's posted a duplicate before.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Inappropriate duplicate threads are usually shut down pretty quickly. I think it's more of an accident than trying to get points. I think almost everybody's posted a duplicate before.

agreed, especially if your a relatively new member because some things can seem to fit within various sections of the forum, so what someone sees as topic A may be considered topic B by someone else, therefore posts made in different sections of the forum with the same topic.

of course you could prove that theory wrong if you can see multiple "death kitty" threads in the same forum section, then obviously the OP didnt check the other threads in that section before posting.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
We don't want duplicate threads.
ATS is a big place and no matter how many mods we have we can't catch all the duplicates. You can be a great help to ATS by reporting these repeat threads by using the Alert button found below your signature.

Also, posting repeat topics is not a very efficient way to earn points. You only get a single point per-reply unless it is on one of the news forums. Compare that to doing a podcast or receiving an applause.

If you need to contact ATS staff there are a number of ways to do so. If you feel comfortable with U2Uing a mod of that forum you can do that. There is the Alert feature that I mentioned before. There is also the Complain/Suggestion feature.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
These "post whores" & "point whores" that we hear of on a day to day business are not worth your time to even think twice about. A single post is worth one point. Ten posts with little effort, which is normally the way of a "point/post whore", is only going to garner ten points. Now one post, with a little bit of effort, that is recognized by the staff as Applause worthy, that can come with a bonus of up to 1500 points. And sometimes a single post can be applauded several times.

If points are your bag, quality over quantity is always the way to go.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Points, that's why I'm here. If I don't get at least 1000 points a day then I can't eat or sleep, or even make love to my wife. Just the other day I was projecting my points for the week, when I fell short of what I was expecting I became morbidly depressed and tried to hang myself but the mouse cord was too short, so I just sat in the floor next to my giant Chicago Transit Authority poster and wept. I have to have a million points, at which point, god will come and I will be taken up in exaltation.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If it's not intentional, why don't would-be posters first go to the 'Search' function before posting? This way the poster would know if he/she's been beaten to it by some other smarter aleck, which usually is the case!!

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Somethin in French - de-ja-vous? - dunno. Do things really come around and go around?

Stop drinking. Ok. Stop typing to your self. O -

Sorry djohnsto77!

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Good points, but I have to say, I am a points whore as well.

I try to post subjects that I find interesting, in a way that will garner attention.

I love the feel of bonus points - it's nice to receive appreciation.

This whole points whore thing came about because I couldn't make it as a stud in the real man-whore world - I got annoyed with the clients and told them they were talking #e, when they were just making polite conversation.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Originally posted by twitchy

I became morbidly depressed and tried to hang myself but the mouse cord was too short,

Your mouse still has a cord ?

Sad. Very sad, indeed.

*snip*

Regards,
Lex

*Mod Edit - Suicide advice is not given on ATS*

[edit on 7/28/07 by niteboy82]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think we should all have to pay tax on our points, that will soon stop this disgraceful posting for points ploy. I dont know what this world is coming too, really i dont!!

Why would this actually bother anyone, unless i've been misinformed and we can trade our points in for massages and ipods.

Ooh i just earned a point.

top topics

join