It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa finds deliberated cables cut on Comp for ISS!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Hi people i just wen to WWW.CNN.COM and this is in CNN breaking news..that Nasa has found some deliberated (with purpose) cuts in some computer cables ..this computers were schedual to go to the ISS (international space station)...

wait for more news later to see what's going on....

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm wondering who did this, and what there motives were.

Personally, I'm thinking maybe some NeoLuddites or technophobes, or possibly
just a deranged person.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   

The computer had no command and control or navigation functions, according to Bill Gerstenmaier, associate administrator for space operations.
"The damage is very obvious. It's easy to detect. It's not a mystery to us," he said, according to AP.

Is this "apparent sabotage" or "accident" ? If you got 1 shot to "sabotage" the ISS I think you'd want to do a better job.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Well another computer (the same kind) at the shipping place had the same thing done to it,
so it's highly unlikely it was an accident.

Perhaps the individual was'nt knowledgeable in the computers, and just cut something they
thought was important.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well Here is your CNN Story on the intentional sabotage.

and a quote to see how hard the xxxx is going to hit the fan...

"It's going to shake up the world, I'll tell you that," retired NASA executive Seymour Himmel said of the latest news. "There will be congressional hearings that you will not be able to avoid."

Not only that, this comes hours after another report of the astronauts being drunk before their flights. This is going to hit NASA hard if proven true.

This is a very interesting story and needs to be followed closely. I'm not sure what the truth is as of yet concerning the alcohol, but the computer links being cut is pretty obvious.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Something about it all doesn't make sense....is it even possible to come up with a motive? Especially seeing as the contractors themselves alerted NASA of the damages...hmmmmm

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Heard this on the 6"00 news, Thursday Aug 26th here in the SF Bay area.
The "news" specifically said that NASA stated, "The computer that was tampered with would have no effect on the mission."

Why? even as I heard this on the news it was like, ????????
What was the point of cutting wires on a system that doesn't effect the mission?
What was the system?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by natetron
Heard this on the 6"00 news, Thursday Aug 26th here in the SF Bay area.
The "news" specifically said that NASA stated, "The computer that was tampered with would have no effect on the mission."

Why? even as I heard this on the news it was like, ????????
What was the point of cutting wires on a system that doesn't effect the mission?
What was the system?

It would, reports say it would and it seems that NASA dont deny it. What its saying is that NASA would have tested prior to sending it to the ISS, so they would have seen it was defunct either way, and it would have posed no danger to the mission. I think thats what they are saying in regards to your quote.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
For Natetron:

The system is by a company called INVOCON INC out of Conroe Texas, it's is called an External Wireless Instrumentation System or EWIS, the specific "box" tampered with is called an EWIS NCU or Network Control Unit.

No MSM' have this data online yet. They were content to ask NASA and get no answer. But this is ATS! Membership has it's privileges. We perform the very difficult immediately, the impossible takes only a moment or two longer.

Here's a link to the company who may or may not employ further sub-contractors, Invocon Inc. There's pics and a description of the EWIS NCU which is to be delivered to ISS on STS-118. Launch date Aug 7th 7:02PM EDT nominally.

OK. So what does an EWIS NCU do? Not much really. Got a wireless router? "Like" that in simplest terms.

It's like a "hub" or "switch" that takes strain and vibration data from the various spots on the P5 truss and collects and then sends that data wirelessly en mass to the avionics system and down to the ground when Ku band is available.

These strain guages measure "induced moment" and the avionics sytem discerns "how much" moment and can adjust attitude accordingly using either the ISS CMG's (Control Moment Gyros), ISS RCS (Reaction Control System) thrusters or Soyez or Progress RCS and when docked STS RCS.

If and when they get it all "combed" and scrubbed it will be pretty complicated.

The box that was "sabotaged" and it's spare are these EWIS NCU modules.

ATS: Access The Scene,

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 27-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
ok - the " tin foil hat answer "is that :

the sabotage was carried out by the contractors themselves - to cover up the fact that they were incapable of delivering a mission ready working computer module on schedule thus by sabotaging a dummy - they can claim that " it would have been ready and have worked ... if it hadnt been for thjose pesky saboteurs " . now they have bought themself more time to rebuild a working unit to specification .

a less " left feild " answer - the sabotage was done by a security guard or building janitor / cleaner - who while authorised to be in the area unsupervised would not have the expertise to identify which is a mission critical component and which is not . why they woulsd do that is anyones guess

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
Something about it all doesn't make sense....is it even possible to come up with a motive? Especially seeing as the contractors themselves alerted NASA of the damages...hmmmmm

I agree that there's something very fishy about this story. And the fact that it came out the same time when NASA confessed to shooting 2 inebriated astronauts off into space .... so what's the deal here and why did they hold a news conference about all of this to tell the world about it?
In short, who was forcing them to do that in the first place?

Right now I'm looking into my crystal ball and I'm sensing that these 2 admissions are only the tip of the iceberg where there's more to come... much more and even bigger. Perhaps these admissions only occurred so as to not make themselves look like they keep the neg. stuff out of the news all of the time and so on.... because what ever is coming up, at least the media and the public will not be saying 'Well, what OTHER secrets are you keeping from us?" because at least at this point, they've told us 2 of them.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
For Natetron:

The system is by a company called INVOCON INC out of Conroe Texas, it's is called an External Wireless Instrumentation System or EWIS, the specific "box" tampered with is called an EWIS NCU or Network Control Unit.

No MSM' have this data online yet. They were content to ask NASA and get no answer. But this is ATS! Membership has it's privileges. We perform the very difficult immediately, the impossible takes only a moment or two longer.

Here's a link to the company who may or may not employ further sub-contractors, Invocon Inc. There's pics and a description of the EWIS NCU which is to be delivered to ISS on STS-118. Launch date Aug 7th 7:02PM EDT nominally.

OK. So what does an EWIS NCU do? Not much really. Got a wireless router? "Like" that in simplest terms.

It's like a "hub" or "switch" that takes strain and vibration data from the various spots on the P5 truss and collects and then sends that data wirelessly en mass to the avionics system and down to the ground when Ku band is available.

These strain guages measure "induced moment" and the avionics sytem discerns "how much" moment and can adjust attitude accordingly using either the ISS CMG's (Control Moment Gyros), ISS RCS (Reaction Control System) thrusters or Soyez or Progress RCS and when docked STS RCS.

If and when they get it all "combed" and scrubbed it will be pretty complicated.

The box that was "sabotaged" and it's spare are these EWIS NCU modules.

ATS: Access The Scene,

Cheers,

Vic

INVOCON
The most happening thing to come out of Conroe, ummmm maybe ever!

FANTASTIC
information mr. vKaminski.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Very intriguing article.

Remember that movie "Contact"? My money is on Jake Busey and his Christian Fundamentalist Cult. They're always trying to disrupt affairs that contradict their views.

Seriously though, I'm with Iori_Komei on this one. Doesn't sounds like the sabouteur had much knowledge of espionage or electronics.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have been following the story because it seems funny that somebody will sabotage on a computer in NASA.

But I agree with ignorant_ape, this seems like somebody wanted to buy some more time because they could not deliver in time.

Another explanation could be that somebody was just mad about the whole program and just wanted to get even.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hi people...i am amazed to see my post on the main webpage...feels cool ! LOL..but to the matter, yes it sound fishy.something is going on...maybe this is not pay attention to the drunken astronuats...(sounds like drunken boxing...LOL) or Houston we have a problem....

This can mean that contractors doesnt do a very good job for screaning their workers, because this even if the simpliest thing and doesnt opose a treath to the ISS just makes a good example on how poor the personal is choose to do some important jobs.

Or this can be some creazy guy just piss off at work...

Or maybe this computer was made in China....talk about bad quality.....

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The tampering has been repaired. The antenna wire is soldered. Both devices are "cleared" one for "flight", one as "stores". Neither unit has been otherwise touched.

Both NCU units were delivered as functional with the exception of the antenna wires cut. The sub-contractor was not buying delivery time, rather the sub-contractor is paying the price of poor HR and employee selection. This was a crude sabotage... techno-juvenile and amateur. It was caught during delivery Q&A sign-off testing at KSC.

A skilled saboteur would have perhaps shorted the antennae unobserved by "jabbing" a temperature sensitive dialectric pin in between the antennae core and grounding sheath. Tests fine on Earth and up in the "cold" of the Truss test as shorted. lots of possibilities.

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: My apologies. You are most welcome Natetron... I prefer the term "fact-tastic" but I do appreciate your notion - it is "fantastic", isn't it? Who's "writing" this "script"? Or more aptly, "directing" this "property"?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The bit that was cut( i can't remember what bit) wasn't going to put anybody's life in danger i don't think which NASA knew so like some have said done it themselves to buy more time

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
it was an al queda plot to crash the space shuttle.

i think it was arabs ..i mean al queda operatives or sympathisers in Nasa.

we should call for an urgent review of all staff of foriners.

remember arab doctors tried to bomb airports...

this could arabs trying to sabotage the space shuttle.

i urge you to contact the fbi and nsa urgently to advise them of this.

the space shuttle crashing would give massive 23/7/365 publicity to alqueda and make more evil muslins join their evil madness.

at this very moment evil arabs could be cutting the wires on a 747 or the wires to the brakes of a passenger train...

i am very frightened and very scared to go outside.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by esecallum]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was waiting for this...

MSM is finally reporting and confirming Invocon as "the sub-contractor" in question as reported over 24 hours earlier on ATS. The Washington Post is carrying an Associated Press piece by Rasha Madkour, here.

A brief excerpt quoted from the external AP piece on the Washington Post website:

"Invocon alerted Boeing after finding severed wires in an identical unit they were testing last week. The unit delivered to NASA and another in storage had similar damage.

Ed Memi, a spokesman for Chicago-based Boeing, said the two units were last tested on June 4 at Invocon and shipped to Boeing about a week later. Boeing is repairing them with help from Invocon staff."

It would appear that the tampering occurred in Texas between June 4th (when the devices tested "good") and June 11th (the shipping date) on the premises of Invocon Inc. A further tampered device beyond the two noted was discovered by and at Invocon last week and they notified the prime contractor for ISS which is Boeing.

It would seem that Invocon's 30 or so employees will be receiving a bit of scrutiny.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
with the recent "love triangle" thing, this "sabotage" incident could also be a vicious going-on between colleagues or department disputes. people are people no matter what they do for a living. -- just saying...

[edit on 12-05-2006 by zooplancton]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join