It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will baseball do the right thing and put "Shoeless" Joe Jackson in the Hall of Fame?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
What's the big problem still? This man's fate was decided by other players on his team. "Shoeless" Joe proved he had nothing to do with the White Sox throwing the Series in 1919. He was second on the team in batting average at .375, first on the team in runs with 5, first on the team in hits with 12, first on the team in runs batted in with 6, and he hit the only home run.

To this day this is still one of the saddest stories in all of sports history, and one of the biggest shames.

Peace

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I don't think there are too many people still alive that are making a case to put him back in.

Shoeless Joe career batting average was over 80 points higher than the league average for batting average during his playing career. Pretty outstanding.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Hall of Fame is only hurting themselves. It's not like it matters a whit to Shoeless Joe at this point.

If a sports hall of fame can't honor the person during their own lifetime, it becomes pointless as far as I'm concerned.

Even if he were to go in now, it would be more a case of the Hall saying, "Whee, look at us. Aren't we all wonderful and magnanimous for correcting this gross oversight?" Screw 'em.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Unless they made an exemption, I believe the window of opportunity has closed for Joe. He is ineligible for the ballot. Pete Rose's window had just closed last year I believe. But I am completely on board here Doc, I think Shoeless should be in the HOF 100%.

It's ironic that you authored this, because after reading an SI article the other day, I had intended to author one and discuss it amongst our membership.

I wouldn't hold my breath to ever see anything change, but it would be nice to see.

If McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Rose, etc., ever make it in, it's a joke that they kept Joe out.

new topics

top topics

join