It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharing very personal data a cross the Atlantic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
This thread concern all British and European citizen:

The EC is in the final stages of agreeing a new Passenger Name Record system with the US which will allow American officials to access detailed biographical information about passengers entering international airports.

The information sharing system with the US Department of Homeland Security, which updates the previous three-year-old system, is designed to tackle terrorism but civil liberty groups warn it will have serious consequences for European passengers. And it has emerged that both the European parliament and the European data protection supervisor are alarmed at the plan.
In a strongly worded document drawn up in response to the plan that will affect the 4 million-plus Britons who travel to the US every year, the EU parliament said it 'notes with concern that sensitive data (ie personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, and data concerning the health or sex life of individuals) will be made available to the DHS and that these data may be used by the DHS in exceptional cases'.

Under the new agreement, which goes live at the end of this month, the US will be able to hold the records of European passengers for 15 years compared with the current three year limit. The EU parliament said it was concerned the data would lead to 'a significant risk of massive profiling and data mining, which is incompatible with basic European principles and is a practice still under discussion in the US congress.

See the link for the full article:

observer.guardian.co.uk...

mod edit to use "ex" tags
Quote Reference.

[edit on 24-7-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I know about this and I think it's very very bad. I live in the Netherlands and these measurements are against our law, yet there is nothing we can do about it because we can't travel to the USA anymore if we do. It seems we have no choice.

Juliet

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
You can still fight this disclosure of privacy, with legal means:
What ever you do in life always remember to make sure that you force any one you do business with, to protect your private content. On the bases of one to one business or other activity, the law is with you and can protect your private affair that if you have already make sure that the second party has signed a non disclosure statement.
I do this for my business here in Germany and now I am force to do this for my private stuff too.
The EC will ask for private data about you to company that have them in they record with no protective statement.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

-closed-

top topics

join