It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

46% of Teens Purposefully Hurt Themselves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Some 46 percent of high school students surveyed said they had purposely injured themselves more than once in the past year. Among those who said they had injured themselves, more than half said they had cut or burned their skin or given themselves a tattoo or engaged in other acts the researchers labeled as serious. Others engaged in comparatively minor acts such as pulling out hair, biting themselves or picking at areas of the body until they bled.

For the study, the researchers surveyed 633 students in grades 9–12 from schools in the southern and midwestern United States.
The survey questions were designed to reveal the incidence of non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI), which is the deliberate, direct destruction of body tissue without conscious suicidal intent.

SOURCE:
Live Science

I really can't say this is surprising to me, for many reasons.
I know quite a few
people who either do or have before hurt themselves more than a few times, most of the
time to deal with emotions.

I'll be honest here, I myself did for awhile, more or less to feel something other then
borderline suicidally depressed, though I stopped when I realized that it was'nt working
anymore since I was'nt feeling the physical pain anymore.

Other studies in other countries and other age groups have shown that self-harm is
more than an extreme minority.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
When does it become extreme, though. I am sure plenty of teenagers do some sort of self harm.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
When does it become extreme, though. I am sure plenty of teenagers do some sort of self harm.

I suppose when they start attempting suicide.

I generally don't like to think of things like this as extreme, because it makes me think of
forced intervention, which is something I'm against.

Personally I think self-harm can actually be positive, that is it can prevent suicide or acting
out other emotions, like killing someone.

I think that if they asked every person between 13-18 in the United States and got an honest answer,
the percentage would be higher to, so I agree with you that most do some form at some time
for reasons other than aesthetics.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Serious depression causes real, harmful changes in the mind and reasoning process. Therefore this kind of self-harm seems to help at the time.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I know about this first hand as my son had an incident where he was depressed over the end of a relationship and deliberately hurt himself.As well my daughter went through a phase for about 18 months where anytime she was upset or angry she would cut herself, literally with anything sharp she could find.I had a very hard time dealing with both these issues and understanding why and how best to deal with it.The most shocking thing to me was that all of my daughters friends were doing it too like it was some new fad or something.Thankfully she no longer feels the need to do that and has found different ways of dealing with her emotions, and my son in time, healed well physically and emotionally.There is definitely an alarming trend here, and even younger children 10+ are doing this.I really don't even know where society as a whole could begin to address this.
I mean in the case of my daughter it was up to me to reach her and help her alone first.She in turn helped her friends to stop cutting.I suppose one on one is best.
This is definitely a good topic to bring to light and should not be dismissed or swept under the rug.If too many people ignore it and hope it goes away, these people do not get the help or understanding they need.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As one of the 46% (in the mid-80's),
I did this.

Looking back, for me it was a cry for help,
and attempting to gain any feeling other
than the helplessness and isolation that I
felt.

Oddly enough, it didn't work.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
When are people going to wake up and realize what we are doing to our youth?

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Kids have been pulling their hair and making themselves bold and cutting themselves for a while now. I think its OCD, and it is treatable. I also know a lady in her 60's that picks constantly at her skin and is bleeding all the time.

I really dont know what causes this but i do know its becoming more prevalent. ITs a shame :shk:

I think its a shame that there is no cure for any of these disorders. They mask eveything with a pill. :shk:

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
In my case, it wasn't OCD. (a myth, IMO).

It was an alcoholic abusive mother and my dad
gone due to his job.

Add in the drugs and alternative life I lead, boom.
I'm isolated and feel lost.

I quit the drugs, realised my "mother" was dung
and "HEY" life looked better.

To label issues like this OCD or ADD or (insert your
childs Psych. dx) any other "disease" (love that term)
is inane.

Either it's sociological or mental.

Feeding pills to children equates to my self-medication
using illicit drugs.

I.E. Stupid.

Tend children. Care for them. Do what you can.

Ultimately, it's a cruel world out there.

Prepare them.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I agree with you Lex, stability at home is the most important thing to thwart all these problems.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Dg,
On some issues, I can actually reply.

I'm a survivor.

Too bad many are not.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Its nice to see someone bring this topic to light, as cutting/burning and other such forms of self-inflicted pain are increasingly trendy right now. But hasn't this always been the case in some form or another?

What about the monks, priests, and other spirituals from centuries past who would whip themselves into a bloody pulp to release their 'sins' (and some still do)? Was this a cry for help, or did they do this with a 'higher' purpose and goal in mind?

Repressed emotions, thoughts and/or desires can cause more internal torment than anything else.

To me, this is right along the same line as drinking yourself into oblivion every night, or smoking 4 packs of cigarettes per day. In the end, we all know that these things harm us and are subtle forms of suicide as well -- but how many people stop drinking simply because there is a HIGH chance they could get liver damage and die from it? Not many.

Being drunk gives the illusion of bliss and release from your everyday concerns and emotional pains. The same goes for cutting or burning the self -- and endorphins are much more addictive than alcohol to some people.

Self-inflicted pain has always been around and will continue for however long it takes the world to exist without it. Whether it be out in the open or hidden behind closed doors, the sad truth is that humanity has always harmed the self in some way. That simply can't be denied.

Since I've personally been exposed to this new 'trend' in teenagers near me, it pains me to see what they do -- but its also deeply painful to see someone you love dying of liver failure because they felt such a desire to feel content for once in their lives.

So.. even though I don't endorse this behavior and am a firm believer in personal responsibility, I have to wonder: How is this any different than other forms of escape?

I don't see how it is.

-Mea

[edit on 21-7-2007 by Veritas Lux Mea]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas Lux Mea

Repressed emotions, thoughts and/or desires can cause more internal torment than anything else.

How is this any different than other forms of escape?

I don't see how it is.

-Mea

Quoted for truth.

True mental anguish, whatever the reason, is more horrifying than any physical pain imaginable. You will eventually pass out from physical pain. You cannot run from your own mind.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Im quite sure I want have that problem with my two kids because I PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!!

These kids are seeking attention imo.

Parents need to be there for the kids to help them through any problems in there life. Then the kids wouldnt do these types of things to get the attention they are missing.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Im quite sure I want have that problem with my two kids because I PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!!

These kids are seeking attention imo.

Parents need to be there for the kids to help them through any problems in there life. Then the kids wouldnt do these types of things to get the attention they are missing.

I'm sure.

You, are wrong. Having personally been a "cutter" for a short period, there was no "attention seeking" involved. Infact most, if not all people I know who did this went out of their way to hide evidence of the act. Long sleeved shirts in summer, profuse bandages and thought out excuses as to the causes of injury.

Please don't knee-jerk and comment in such a condescending manner when you really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
True mental anguish, whatever the reason, is more horrifying than any physical pain imaginable. You will eventually pass out from physical pain. You cannot run from your own mind.

I fully agree with you. You can't run from mental or spiritual anguish. But is that not what all alcoholics, drug addicts and self-mutilators are attempting to do?

Why drink alcohol every night if you don't want to feel a good sense of high and release from your cares? What's the point then?

Why cut yourself if not to feel release from your cares? Its really along the same lines if you look a little deeper.

Many people are not willing to take the long, hard road to bliss through responsibility, so they turn to substances or self-inflicted pain to help them cope.

That was my point...

-Mea

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I'm sure.

You, are wrong. Having personally been a "cutter" for a short period, there was no "attention seeking" involved. Infact most, if not all people I know who did this went out of their way to hide evidence of the act. Long sleeved shirts in summer, profuse bandages and thought out excuses as to the causes of injury.

Please don't knee-jerk and comment in such a condescending manner when you really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Thanks.

I dont think you have a clue.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I don't think I care.

At any rate, I will say a prayer for your children. I feel they need this, and it is the least I can do for them.

Good day.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas Lux Mea

I fully agree with you. You can't run from mental or spiritual anguish. But is that not what all alcoholics, drug addicts and self-mutilators are attempting to do?

Why drink alcohol every night if you don't want to feel a good sense of high and release from your cares? What's the point then?

Why cut yourself if not to feel release from your cares? Its really along the same lines if you look a little deeper.

Many people are not willing to take the long, hard road to bliss through responsibility, so they turn to substances or self-inflicted pain to help them cope.

That was my point...

-Mea

In no way did I disagree with your point? There is no need to defend it?

However, the small minority really do simply take enjoyment out of getting intoxicated. Nothing wrong with taking pleasure in something you enjoy without harming another.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well you can say a prayer for them but dont ever get the idea you are going to beat them. And im definetly going to say a prayer for your kids since you are a self proclamed child beater.

btw im a guy not a lady and im raising my kids alone so maybe I do have a clue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join