It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biting Nails >_<

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I really want to stop. I've bitten my nails for so long that my teeth are being affected. I've tried to stop before but using the nasty tasting nail varnish, but it was no good because I still bit them and got used to the taste.

It's no so much the stress that makes me bite them (but that doesn't make it better) I just can't stand my nails, there making me cringe now and there's nothing left. I even tried using nail clippers, but they just made my fingers bleed because I used them so much :S

Please help me! It's driving me nuts. :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Your a girl and you bite your nails?

Hugly attractive!

Try dipping your fingers in to something really nasty, dog poo and scotch bonnets spring to mind. The second one is the worlds hottest chilli and the first one comes from a dogs bum and is cheaper!

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have a sister that bites her nails, she only does it when she is stressed out. She does not even realize she was biting her nails until someone pointed it out and told her to stop. She recently stopped but keeps her nails short. It has a lot to do with what you are thinking about when you are sitting there knawing on your nails. So when you are biting your nails, take a moment and think about what is causing you to bite your nails. I do not think anything can stop you from biting, it has to be when you are ready. Tell yourself to stop and that you are ready to stop. Another thing to think about is there is some pretty discusting things under ones finger nails. Personally I think long nails are discusting on men and women. It is just dead tissue. I keep my nails trimmed short. Just some thoughts...

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
i use to bite my nails all the time too. i didn't think anything of it you know. but one day i was reading a magazine and seen a picture of a girl with really ugly nails and fingers. i can't even describe how bad it was. thats when i stoped cold turkey. si my suggestion is find a picture of the affects it has on your hands. if that doesn't help think about something you really care about and tell yourself that you'll lose it if you don't stop biting. good luck. PeAcE oUt!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Sounds a bit obsessive to me...

Have you spoken to anyone about it? I do not say that to sound rude it's just that you've stated pretty clearly that your case differs completely from most nailbiters...

Did you ever try to get your nails professionally done? That might be an incentive to let them be.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Sounds a bit obsessive to me...

Have you spoken to anyone about it? I do not say that to sound rude it's just that you've stated pretty clearly that your case differs completely from most nailbiters...

Did I? :S

No I've never got them done, it never seemed worth it since I eat nail varnish off (I tried that as a way to stop biting), so I stopped incase it made me ill :S I've tried using an emory board to make them look nice, but it still doesn't stop me.:shk:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
i gotta problem too.. ive been bitin my nails since i was like .. 10 i'd say.. there was a point in time for about a two years where i didn't but that was because there was a female in my life and i just didn't have time to do it anymore i guess

this problem actually got worst for me after me and the girl broke up.. i've moved up from my nails to my cuticles.. it's disgusting and i know this

i have no idea why i do it i've talked to people about it most just say anxiety or nervous but i'm neither an anxious or nervous person

i dont understand it

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You're a girl...go have fake nails put on...and keep them on until you are cured of this problem!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
When you think of biting your nails, think of this

members.aol.com...

mod edit: added url tags

[edit on 2-8-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hey Raso....that picture you posted should do the trick

OH My Goodness! How could anyone let that happen to their hands? That's not a pretty pic.

SR

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I used to do it to the extent i'd ripped the whole nail off my finger one time so i was given this stuff i had to put on and it didn't work yeah it tasted nasty but you bite your nails off anyway and get used to it the only thing that got me to stop was swapping this bad habit for another now my finger nails are really long and nice but i smoke lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I took guitar lessons in college and the guy who was teaching me told me his mother would stick chicken poop under his nails at night to get him to stop. He offered to do the same for me. I passed.

I bit my nails from when I was a kid - maybe ten or younger until very recently. My daughter has taken to nibbling on her nails and we made a deal, I'd stop if she stopped. The reward was a watch from my wife for me and anything my daughter wanted from me. We would also go get a manicure together (she goes with my wife all the time). Well, I haven't been biting for a while now and I am about ready for said manicure. She still bites. Oddly enough, her nails aren't being chewed on as much as she is playing with them when she "bites" resulting in the appearance of biting them more than actually chewing on them. We think it is a replacement for the thumb sucking she was stuck on until 6 or so months ago.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I've never had the nail biting problem, because of always being a freak about getting germs in my mouth. Maybe wrapping your fingers with medical tape or another kind may help. Also, maybe gettng long fake nails!

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
...scotch bonnets spring to mind. The second one is the worlds hottest chilli...

Nope not the worlds hottest chilli

See this thread here

But i digress - It's sometimes just a habit or a deficiency of something or stress related (which you said you do not suffer from) but can be related to all sorts of things.

I also bite but hate it and i play guitar so i wish i didn't bite. Hey Crakeur if i stop will you get ME a watch?? hehehehe

top topics

join