It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-missile shield in Europe - surveillance?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
A few days ago, one of Polish tv stations (Superstacja, if anyone's interested) said something about the anti-missile shield that's about to be installed in Poland and the Chech Republic.
They said the anti-missile thing is only one element of the whole installation - the other purpose is surveillance, so the US government can listen to phonecalls, watch internet traffic etc. in this part of Europe.

Do you guys know anything about such thing? I tried searching ATS, but I'm bad at forming queries for google, so sorry if it was mentioned and discussed on ATS before

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't think the US would need to add anymore facilities than the ones they've got to listen in to phone calls and watch internet chatter in Europe. I do think that building American Anti-missile systems in EU countries is stupid. Not only is it a hostile act towards Russia but it also leaves Europe dependent on the US for missile defence. This is yet another sign that the USA is trying to increase its control over Europe. They already try to withhold software base codes for weapons technology purchased, to try and reduce the military independence of EU nations. Europeans need to take action now and refuse US control over any missile defence systems. We also need to reduce our purchase of US weapons technology until the Americans are more open with said sold technology (Saying that though the EU is far more independent in its weapons tech than most countries).

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It's not so simple to refuse the installation of the anti missile shield. Here, in Poland, most people are against it (I bet it's similar in Czech Republic)... but the government doesn't listen. In fact, we don't really have any idea about the whole installation - the government doesn't talk about any details. Where is it going to be installed? What will we, as a country, get from it?

There should be a public debate about this and perhaps a referendum, so the people could vote and decide.

Instead, we are kept in the dark. The only news is that our president met with Bush and talked about the anti missile shield. Then, our prime minister said in a news conference yesterday that it's certain the installation will take place in Poland and how great this thing is politicaly!

I'm a bit worried about my country - we are so pro-american... we send troops to Iraq and Afghanistan, we buy F-16's (even though there were better options) and now we get the anti missile shield... what the...?

new topics

join