It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you be you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 06:30 AM
link   
If we say that someone took all your memories and thoughts from your brain and inserted it into another persons brain. Would that person become you or would it just think that it is you? And what is it that is you?

I know this is quite deep but please reply!

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I believe that I have a soul, so, this guy will not be me.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 07:58 AM
link   
No.

Irregardless of religious implications, the awareness of the individual would end... and thus, the end of the first individual. The other person is a new awareness, with the memories of someone else.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Have anyone read Solaris? It deals a little with this issue.

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 11:27 AM
link   
yes because your personality is really what makes you you.

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 08:00 PM
link   
No no...just because someone else has all your memories and you no longer do doesn't mean you are not you anymore. For one, if you were just what you experienced, then by giving the other guy memories, you should become him. I thing 6th day actually showed that quite well. Just because you give someone memories doesn't make YOU them and them YOU which is why there IS something more to us than just our chemicals.

We all have an individuality that can't be explained yet.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Of course there is "more" Apart from memories and a "soul" ther is the brain issue. Its like transfering OS and all files from one computer to another. One computer has a fast processor and # loads of memory SCSI HD and the other one none of that, you see structure of brain - your upper consiosness is equally imortant as the "soul" or subconiosness.
Gosh you talk more and more like your all have equal structre in brains, no surprise here.

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Hmmm...what if this individual, was an exact clone of you? With all your same memories, neural wiring, etc. etc....? How could you possibly tell your new you, that he/she isn't you? The new you would call you ignorant, and explain to you, very convincingly(SP?) that they are you...

kim

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 06:17 AM
link   
hey einstein, deep stuffs cool. makes a change.

everyday things shape the person you become. the person who got your memories, thoughts, feelings would not be you unless the exact same thing happened to both at the same time. if they looked different, they'd be different too cos people react different to the way people look eg "he looks a bit dodgy". this would be next to impossible to accomplish and even little things like what each person looked at, read or listened to would shape them
so no, not the same people.

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think it must be terrible for the clone that think it's you to realize that it's only is a copy of someone else. Because the clone has been thinking that it is this certain person all his life. Then someone tells him that he isn't the one he think he is, that must really ruin your whole world!

top topics

join