It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here at ATS meditates?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
First off, couldn't figure out where to post this thread, but I figured the elite staff at ATS would, so if it need be moved, then do so...thanks...

I was thinking about this today and thought it might be interesting to pose this question and see the many different methods that people use to meditate. Please feel free also to post any experiences that you have had using meditation.

I myself have only been meditating for a few months, as for my experiences, nothing grand or mind-blowing taking place, but there is a deep sense that I am on the right track with it.

I consider myself a "Type A" personality, meaning I am the person who takes anger, criticism, and keeps all that is negative on the inside while living life as usual. Using meditation, I find I'm able to handle the above in a more constructive manner by dismissing these emotions and feelings.

I am attending a class right now for contacting your spirit guides, but that is an entirely different thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
i Have tried to meditate, but i am not quite sure what i am even suppose to be doing. i Will sit there and clear my mind of thoughts, any thoughts that come up i try to let pass like a casual observer. But is this all there is to it?? What do you do or what resources have influenced your meditation?

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have been practicing Taoist meditation and Taichi, a moving meditation, for about seven years now. My practice has tailed off a bit since I contracted a chronis pain condition as my knees can no longer support my body weight for taichi, and the pain is too distracting for useful meditation.

During a year in which I lived in Cork, in southern Ireland, without a TV, radio or computer, I spent at least 6 hours a day either in meditation or practicing taichi (Yang long form). I have never been fitter or saner and only needed four hours sleep a night. I reached a level of meditation where time seemed to stop, and my understanding of the world was transformed.

I can still reach that place, if the circumstances are right, but they are very rarely achievable. I now need complete silence and huge amounts of a certain herb to stop the pain. I can no longer do the full lotus, which doesn't help matters (this position vastly improves the greater heavenly circulation that is required to attain the deeper states of meditation.

Taoist meditation differs slightly but significantly from Buddhist practice. One of the major differences is the breathing. Always breathe through the nose, keeping the tip of your tongue lightly in contact with the gums just above your top front teeth, draw in your dan tien (lower abdomen, an inch below your navel) on the inhalation and push it out on the exhalation. This is sometimes called reverse breathing. Then imagine (the mind leads your energy) the chi being drawn IN as you inhale, and then moving down the front of your chest down to the solar plexus. Continue this movement of chi downwards as you exhale, across the abdomen to the dan tien, and then through the genital region to the perineum, now inhale again and carry the movement on up the small of your back and on to a point just below the vertibra that sticks out most, and between the shoulder blades, now exhale again and carry the movement on up the back of your neck, over the head to the crown and down to the point between your eyes, and on through the tip of your tongue (the reason for the contact of your tongue and the roof of your mouth) before starting the circulation again.

After a while you will stop imagining the flow of chi as you start to feel the real thing. You may also notice a flow of sweet clear saliva as the chi passes through your mouth... this is a good sign that you are in the correct bodily position and the chi is flowing smoothly. I will post later regarding posture.

I hope this helps, and good luck. It is well worth pursuing.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Two of my friends who meditate daily both recommend the biofeedback program "Journey to the Wild Divine" which comes as a kit. It runs on the PC but there is probably an Apple version as well. Here is that website:

www.wilddivine.com...

Most of that biofeedback is designed for single users, but there are sections that can be used by couples.

It's expensive but people say it does work. I have no connection with any software companies, BTW.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
For the first couple of months, I was using "guided meditations", this helped me get a better understanding of how to remove myself from my sometimes chaotic environment when no other option was possible.

Another method I am using is to literally "listen" to my heart, the way it beats, the rythm, I am a musician as well so this tends to be right up my alley.

At this time I am still using the visualization techniques that I learned earlier, i.e. think of your ideal location where you feel you would be most comfortable to contemplate, ask questions to your higher self, etc...Place yourself in the midst of a vast forest with wildlife here and there, and make your meditations a journey w/ a destination, containing things that make you feel like you are home, make this imaginary place your own, personalize it if you will.

I don't really know if the above information can be construed as "advice",
as I am fairly new at this myself...
take it or leave it, all I know is that I should've started meditation a really, really long time ago!

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have been practicing various forms of meditation -- for various reasons; i.e., anxiety and tension relief, pain relief and for the spiritual benefits -- for over twenty-five years. I have found my meditation experiences to be quite beneficial and I certainly can recommend meditation -- in one form or another -- to everyone. I genuinely believe that everyone can find benefits to be gained from a daily regime of meditation. This said, I must also add that the amount of benefit that one might derive from this practice is somewhat dependent upon the type of meditation used, the dedication invested into this practice and from the mindset that one uses to approach the practice of daily meditation.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i meditate daily, when sprogs are in bed. i use guided, kundalini, breathing med.... depending on how i feel, sometimes use singing bowl or drum to help me sink down. find it helps to relax, rejuvinate and love the calm it brings

top topics

join