It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just figured it out!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Bush imigration bill. If it passes the employment figures will go wild! Then George really can say he created millions of jobs.

story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040109/bs_afp/us_economy

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
You are so dead on target!

Way to be thinking my friend!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
The Bush imigration bill. If it passes the employment figures will go wild! Then George really can say he created millions of jobs.

Good point. I'll be the first to point out that he didn't "create them"...he just "acknowledged or legitimated" them.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
That's interesting. So this from your article:

"The Labor Department (news - web sites) reported that the US economy generated just 1,000 jobs in December. The report was a shock to economists, who projected average job growth of 148,000 in the month to signal an end to the so-called jobless recovery in the United States."

I'm a financial news junkie but haven't heard this. During CHRISTMAS we added only 1,000 jobs? That's like LOSING jobs!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
... we gained 1000 jobs. addition and subtraction on mutually exclusive. no dice.
the economy has been slow, and you must take that into account. personally i think FAR too much credit is given to the president reguarding the economy, too much bad when the economy is slow, and far too much praise (even if after the fact) when the economy is slow. you people act as if the president has supreme control over the exact numbers here. deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Losonczy

Good point. I'll be the first to point out that he didn't "create them"...he just "acknowledged or legitimated" them.

Good points to both of you. Mad props on taking the words out of my mouth, I actually had this conversation with a friend earlier and we agreed that it legitimated jobs rather than creating them.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
you people act as if the president has supreme control over the exact numbers here. deny ignorance.

As a rule, it's the rest of the Amerikan public that thinks the president has supreme rule over the economy. Viva la FED!! However, if a presidents makes a plan and in said plan promises X amount of jobs, and the jobs don't come, then I feel some criticism is needed. If the dems manage to pull off a win in the next election promising to create X amount of jobs, I'll be ripping them apart just as bad. I'm an equal opportunity hater of political parties.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
December is a slow month because of the holidays. If someone was hiring for holiday help they probably did so before Dec. On the other hand, December was a planning month: companies planning on hiring for the next quarter/next year along with getting rid of some so their books look good.

Hopefully this area of economic recovery, which is typically the last indicator, picks up

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
"Legitimated"...is that a new "Bushism"?

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Jobs that americans don't want.....reminds me of another era of our history with "jobs" like cotton-pickin on the plantation. I think that the immigrants deserve this acknoledgment because they do work so hard in these thankless jobs for so much less than they deserve. Its a step in the right direction, but George is doing it for the wrong reasons. I hope Republicans will react to this the way California reacted to giving immigrants liscences.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Whoa....so did I

posted on 8-1-2004 at 04:19 AM Post Number: 321215 edit quote

IMHO it could be that since most americans won't do the work that Mexicans and other immigrants WILL do, they have decided to let them in to boost the economy

signature
Who watches the Watchers?

Hey , at least we are all on the same thought line though right?

new topics

top topics

join