It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cheney would back a ban on Gay Marriage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Dick Cheney, Vice President in the Bush administration who argued during the 2000 presidential campaign that the issue of gay marriage is best left to the states, said on Friday that he would support a presidential push to ban marriages of the same sex.

The Right-Wing Strikes Again
Cheney made his comments on gay marriage during an interview with The Denver Post, in which he also spoke about the war in Iraq and the U.S. soldiers being killed and wounded there, Western energy issues, and the Air Force Academy sex scandal. His comments regarding the sacrifice of U.S. soldiers and their families came one day after a Black Hawk helicopter crashed near Fallujah in Iraq, killing all nine soldiers on board, including at least four Fort Carson soldiers.

Colorado has become a focal point in the effort to ban gay marriage, with four members of its congressional delegation having drafted or supported legislation late last year restricting marriage to a "union between a man and a woman." During the interview, Cheney said he will support President Bush if the president pursues a ban on gay marriage.

"What I said in 2000 was that the question of whether or not some sort of status, legal status or sanction, ought to be granted in the case of a relationship between two individuals of the same sex was historically a matter the states had decided and resolved, and that is the way I preferred it," Cheney said.

Now the ironic thing folks, Cheneys own daughter is an "out" lesbian and prominent member of the LGBT community. It is believed his tone has mellowed after learning of it, yet he still favours a ban on same-sex marriages.

Cheney declined to say whether he has discussed the issue of same-sex marriage with the president, or has shared his perspective as the parent of a gay daughter.

"I don't talk about the advice I give the president," Cheney said. "That is why he listens."

An article from the Denver Post
www.denverpost.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
"Ban...restricting marriage to a union between a man and a woman."

Does anyone know if similar court rulings address hermaphrodites, post-ops and other biological monkey wrenches?

I realize the laws are procreation based, but are they effectively disallowing marriage of ANY sort to these gender-benders or EFFECTIVELY allowing them MORE rights and choice?

join