It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why my internet connection is so slooow!? Please help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I use comcast as my internet service provider. When I use to live in my old apartment I had no problems with my connection, just recently I moved to a house and I been having problems with my connection. Is the same provider, same PC.

When I called their CS they just tell me that in their system it shows that the speed is were is supposed to be and my PC shows the same (100.0 Mbps), then they told me to erase my history, temp. files, cookies etc., still help.

Any suggestions? Anybody can tell me what the source of the problem might be?

Just some more info, I used Windows XP SP2

[edit on 12-7-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
hiya bunch,
comcast's internet can be a lil flakey at times depending what area you're in. i sub for comcast so i see these issues all the time. for now, ill assume the problem is not your pc, comcast could be having issues with the main lines in your area, it could be the lines going into our home and how they are split, the kind of splitters used, and possibly an issue with your modem's docsis. most cable modems have a status page you can view to see the upstream and down stream levels. in your browser put in address 192.168.100.1 and look for your up & down levels and also the signal t0 noise ratio. if the down stream is too far into the negatives thats bad, if the up stream is too high thats bad also. also...dont believe comcast customer service, they're idiots and we have problems with them all the time.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thanks R_L

I did what you recommended, the only feature that I was able to get info was the system feature.

Is there were I can find the up and down levels?

The other three: signal, log,status I was not able to get any info and it gives me the following message:

This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.
Please contact your data services provider for more information about this feature and its availability on the network.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
thats weird, its usually enabled on all of comcast's modems. it would be listed on the option for signal, here's what mine looks like.........

Forward Path: Return Path:
Signal Acquired at 723.000 MHz Connection: Acquired
SNR: 35.0 dB Frequency: 31.0 MHz
Received Signal Strength: -1.1 dBmV Power Level: 53.3 dBmV
Micro-Reflections: 31 dBc Channel ID: 9
Modulation: 256 QAM Modulation: 16 QAM

i would get comcast to send out a tech to check your lines and signal levels, maybe even replace the modem...btw...what kind of modem you have? plus, it wont hurt to check your pc for spyware crap and all that stuff

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
hey radioactive... as a network engineer i was curious about your claim to logging into the modem since ive never heard anything about that on privatized modems. well, using the IP you provided i was able to come up with a login screen, im assuming to my modem. but its blocked with a un:pw... you wouldn't happen to know if they use some default un:pw i could use to gain access? i tried the one for my account but to no avail.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
oooo, here we go

anyone with a cablevision motorola, heres a direct link

login

new topics

top topics

join