It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In case you're like 98% of us...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You may want to reconsider the rampant misunderstanding about Democrats prevalent today: "All Dems want to do is raise taxes."

WRONG!

I don't pretend to speak for all Democrats or even all 2004 Presidential candidates, but allow me to use just one, John Edwards, as an example to prove this generalization to be a fallacy.

I've had Sen. Edwards book for some time, which includes not only his tax plan, but real and specific defense initiatives, but he's since posted some tax points on-line allowing this discussion to take place.

Edwards Vows To End Two Tax Systems
"Today we have two tax systems in this country - one for the people who use accountants and lawyers to pay less and less every year, and another for middle class families that are being stuck with making up the difference." ~ J. Edwards

Edwards' booklet, "Real Change for America's Families" (available here), outlines his proposals to strengthen middle class families, including:

~A $5,000 tax credit for first time home buyers
~Cutting taxes on middle class investments
~Matching savings dollar-for-dollar up to $1,000/year
~Other proposals to cut health care costs, make college affordable, and reduce burdens on parents juggling work and family responsibilities
~Protecting current middle class tax cuts that other candidates are trying to repeal

So, if your ONLY reason to not vote Democratic is to save the Bush tax cuts... problem solved.

However, if you're not interested in anything but continuing to spread propagandic lies like "All Dems want to do is raise taxes," stick with Bush.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
great point, RANT. Lieberman and Kerry aren't going to repeal the middle class tax cut either.

I don't think all dems want to raise taxes but I think all dems propose a lot of programs that need money - which has to come from somewhere. I'd like to see a candidate come up plans for spending cuts, especially in this economic state (the NEA can wait 'till we have the money!
)

I like Edwards, I do, and not just because he looks like my drunken uncle.

A tax credit for home buying sounds like a good idea, granted I don't know the details. Home ownerships benefits the economy in so many ways.The investment stuff sounds good too. THough, the savings matching baffles me? where does the matching money come come from?
how about a 1k tax credit instead?

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by Bob88]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
you know why edwards is at the bottom of the barrel? you know why edwards isnt going to even get close to winning?

because he isnt really attacking anyone, he isnt doing a flavor of the week campaign. he is steady and consistent (more so than the others who are at the top)

he's the most appealing in my opinion but doesnt stand a chance. and i think he'd be way better than the jokers beating him presently.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
great point, RANT. Lieberman and Kerry aren't going to repeal the middle class tax cut either.

I'm trying to learn more about Lieberman. I know others oppose tax increases, but I just happen to know Edwards better.

Originally posted by Bob88
A tax credit for home buying sounds like a good idea, granted I don't know the details. Home ownerships benefits the economy in so many ways.The investment stuff sounds good too. THough, the savings matching baffles me? where does the matching money come come from?
how about a 1k tax credit instead?

Granted there's alot of propsals by point in that which aren't "Gored" with details. I've got his book, and just skimming it, there's hundreds of great promises which I'd be happy to hold him to or vote him out in 2008.

And Prank, you definitely are on to something there about Edwards not attacking or playing politics as usual hurting him. His "Leadership" speeches in debates where he tries to stop everyone from attacking each other get great reviews from pundits, but the masses are blood thirsty. Civility doesn't play.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Think EDWARDS would/will be a kick butt VP, and am EAGERLY anticipating the Edwards / Cheney debate.

I think it's a forgone conclusion he will be someone's running mate (despite his denials).

I just hope his running mate (Dean, Clark or Liebermann) will be open to his platforms and vision.

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
all democrats want ot do is come up with a new social plan that will help the situation and then raise4 taxes to cover their @$$

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
you know why edwards is at the bottom of the barrel? you know why edwards isnt going to even get close to winning?

because he isnt really attacking anyone, he isnt doing a flavor of the week campaign. he is steady and consistent (more so than the others who are at the top)

Prank, it seems you are dead right about Edwards strategy. I thought it odd he did little with last summer's endorsement by the President of College Democrats of America: Iowa State Daily ...allowing Dean to usurp the angry teen vote.

Now he seem to be fessing up to a plan just as you describe:
Edwards Above The Fray (Wash Post).

DES MOINES, Iowa (1/6/04) - Democrat John Edwards, who trails Howard Dean and Dick Gephardt in Iowa, is betting that a strategy of staying above the fray will give a fluid electorate reasons to take a fresh look and pump new life into his campaign.

With most of his rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination targeting front-runner Dean, Edwards has stuck mostly to positive themes while condemning the others for their attacks.

"When politicians are yelling at each other about what someone said yesterday or seven years ago, I can promise you one thing - they are not listening to you," Edwards says in campaign speeches.

The line is winning some voters...

Edwards' strategy is simple: Exceed expectations in Iowa, perhaps even besting Kerry. Then use that momentum to move up in New Hampshire before looking for a Feb. 3 win in South Carolina, where he was born.

I think the straight and narrow, above the fray path may have worked better even against an early Dean lead had it not been for another southern monkey wrench, Clark, that will undoubtedly split votes in SC, etc.

At this point, only a Clark/Edwards unification of support (before it's too late...) can keep Dean from hijacking the whole show.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
dems only care about getting the vote and having people worship them

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
dems only care about getting the vote and having people worship them

This guy ...I tell yeah.....look at him all dressed up like a commie ...

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Edwards just got a decent endorsement! (that Iowa paper)

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Believe it or not, the Iowa primary is still up for grabs. Dean is NOT a sure victor. Anyone could win....within reason of course....I don't think Sharpton really could pull off a surpirse victory.

new topics

top topics

join