It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny tablet provides proof for Old Testament

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   

The sound of unbridled joy seldom breaks the quiet of the British Museum's great Arched Room, which holds its collection of 130,000 Assyrian cuneiform tablets, dating back 5,000 years.

But Michael Jursa, a visiting professor from Vienna, let out such a cry last Thursday. He had made what has been called the most important find in Biblical archaeology for 100 years, a discovery that supports the view that the historical books of the Old Testament are based on fact.

The tablet is dated to the 10th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II, 595BC, 12 years before the siege of Jerusalem

And another..

Tomb of King Herod discovered in West Bank

It would seem that the Bible is proven right again... And yet still there will be those that will find a way to attempt to shoot this find down...

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
it provides proof for PART of the old testament, but you've still got to be fairly cautious with it. you have to sort out the stories like noah, job, jonah, genesis, and samson.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I don't see how the existence of certain people or events means everything else automatically becomes true, especially when "everything else" involves the supernatural. I'm sure most people have no doubt that many of the events in the old testament and even in the new testament have some historical accuracy, but a lot more proof is going to be needed before everyone agrees on events like, oh, cutting a sea in half, or rising from the dead.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I agree totally with Xerimethius.
How can the discovery of an artifact, that's been sitting in the British Museum for who knows how long, prove that the whole Old Testament is not a fictional book at all.

A reference to it does not mean that Noah really did build a big boat and harbour 2 of every living creature. I remember as a child loving that story, but as I grew up, the very notion became preposturous - kinda like santa claus.
No dig at the OP intended btw.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
seems to me it just means that a person mentioned in the bible actually existed. Still along way from proving the Old Testament 100%.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaydelay
seems to me it just means that a person mentioned in the bible actually existed. Still along way from proving the Old Testament 100%.

or that the person mentioned did any of the things the bible said that person did....

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have to agree with most of the other posters in this thread.

Just because a legend was written down on a clay tablet doesn't mean that the legendary feats attributed to them really happened. It just means the stories are old, and weren't written by some guy in, say, the year 100 CE.

Nobody's arguing with the point that these stories are ancient. Most of us have a big problem believing that the walls of Jericho fell down because of some noise, that the sun stopped moving in the sky, or that god actually spoke from a piece of flaming vegetation. That's all.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Or perhaps all of the stories in both the old and new testament are 100% historically accurate, but haven't been attributed to the almighty FSM, the rightful and true ruler of all that is, was, and will be.

We are not worthy.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
That's a really neat find. I don't suppose it would convince someone that the Bible is 100% accurate, but for those of us who believe, it's reassuring. The finding of the same name does show the attention to detail that's been given to Bible copies throughout the years. Priests and scribes took their jobs very seriously.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

It may prove that SOME of the historical aspects of the old testament are true - place names, kings etc....but not much else usually..it's the supernatural stuff in the bible that rankles/amuses most skeptics.

J.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What I find amazing is all these doubters have 1000 reasons why they can't believe the supernatural, BUT....

When it comes to Nothing turning into ROCKS and then into HUMANS and the amount of supernatural force that would be needed they have no problems believing.

I guess it all rests on FAITH in your supernatural force, for me and mine WE CHOOSE GOD.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Nothing turning into rocks? Rocks turning into humans?

You just blew my mind. Is that what religious folk actually believe (again, with the belief) science is all about?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
As an avid reader of history I find the discovery of the tables amazing, but to say that it makes the bible factual is an overstatement.

The bible is an amazing book full of history, myth, lore and legend but they are intertwined by bias writers.

So is not surprised that is going to be discoveries that match bible events, but that is far from proving the bible as an irrevocable book of true facts.

Nice try Ed.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
When it comes to Nothing turning into ROCKS and then into HUMANS and the amount of supernatural force that would be needed they have no problems believing.

uh huh... you're taking a jab at science... very original straw man there too. nobody believes that ROCKS turn into HUMANS. we believe that chemical pre-life became life which became more advanced life and that it becamse more advanced as the generations wore on... until humans

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Everyone....save the evolution discussion for another thread. That's way off topic.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
WOW, a micro testament.

We all know how big the Old Testament is.

Even though no one was alive back then, people still pick over
whats in there.

Its as bad and anything on ats.

Not to mention how the New Testament is the end story.

I just saw a thread today on Revelations, quoting things without
any revelation or meaning.

St John wrote them and they were about what happen in the New Testament
or has some relation going forward induced by his visions.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well, while I certainly am a believer in God and the NEW Testament, I view the Old Testament as little more than a historical document, really. It paints a pretty ugly picture of what god is like, and one that I do not accept, I might add.

As far as this tablet turning up,it's not a big surprise to me. As I stated, I do view the Old Testament as a fairly decent historical document.

[edit on 11-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I am in no way i religious person,i see the bible (as with other major religions.)as a legend.but somewhere amongst all the lies,the fantasy and the contradictions,there is truth.as there is with most legends.
There is events that are true and ppl that exixted.but we shouldn't forget just how much the bible has been changed and that there is little evidence to support it being 100% true....

For those who have mentioned noah...now he may not have made a boat and gathered 2 of every animal,but the flood is real.evidence of this can be found all around the world,in nearly every single culture!
A good book to read is,Worlds In Collision by I.Velikovsky.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Nobody's arguing with the point that these stories are ancient. Most of us have a big problem believing that the walls of Jericho fell down because of some noise, that the sun stopped moving in the sky, or that god actually spoke from a piece of flaming vegetation. That's all.

That is so Velikovsky.

He had such great explanations for cataclysmic bible stories.

Burning bushes, the plagues of Egypt, the name of Yahweh being used
in languages around the world and a king or Dynasty in China are
among the language translations from ancient text he discovered.

If Babylonians thought gods were in the sky and did battle then as
planets something came close enough to knock out a chunk or the
flood was a cosmic rain storm that changes the climate to allow
the rainbow to be seen for the first time.

So we have Newton's prism and further misunderstand of light but I digress.

Ed: I think the burning bush was either a world wide phenomena at that
precise moment Moses sought Gods advice or it was a natural phenomena
for the tree being so high up on the mountain, yet the seeking of God
seems to be the overall theme and God did want to talk to Moses.

[edit on 7/11/2007 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Tiny tablet provides proof for Old Testament

The sound of unbridled joy seldom breaks the quiet of the British Museum's SNIP

It would seem that the Bible is proven right again... And yet still there will be those that will find a way to attempt to shoot this find down...

Well I was right, most saw 'me; and went a shoot'n, hehe. If anyone actually opened and read the article, they would have noticed that the
'proof' claim was by the author, not me. That's ok, I still stick by 'my' statement that the Bible is proven right once again.

Originally posted by marg6043
As an avid reader of history I find the discovery of the tables amazing, but to say that it makes the bible factual is an overstatement.

The bible is an amazing book full of history, myth, lore and legend but they are intertwined by bias writers.

So is not surprised that is going to be discoveries that match bible events, but that is far from proving the bible as an irrevocable book of true facts.

Nice try Ed.

Well Hello there Marg! I do believe that the Bible is the Word of God and I will leave it at that. When we read it, not very many of us are reading it in Hebrew in this case or Greek in the NT.

Just came across an interpretation about the there was morning and there was evening, as the KJV states in English, and yet another translation 'could' be there was chaos and there was order, but the translation subject is one that is for another thread, for another day.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join