It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil to start enriching uranium

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Brazil to start enriching uranium

news.bbc.co.uk

Brazil's president has pledged to revive a long-stalled project to build the country's third nuclear reactor and also a nuclear submarine.
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said hundreds of millions of extra dollars would be made available for the project over the next eight years.

Work on the third reactor for uranium enrichment stopped in the 1980s over security fears and lack of funds.

President Lula added that Brazil could now afford the luxury of becoming one of the few countries in the world capable of uranium enrichment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Well as a memeber of the NPT they can do this BUT

www.wisconsinproject.org...

Brazil is planning to commission later this year a uranium enrichment plant that, if configured to do so, could fuel several nuclear weapons annually. As a member of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT), Brazil has promised not to make such weapons and is obliged to allow the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to ensure this is the case. But this spring Brazil took the extraordinary step of barring the plant's doors to the IAEA's inspectors.

The part is bold - where is the `international` outcry that they are making nukes on the US doorstep.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/7/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Iran should file a protest

for double standerds seen as they are right at the doors of the United States
but again they are cosey with the US so i doubt the US will care that much.
and Brazil isnt a Threat to their Boses in the Middle east Israel

[edit on 11-7-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Didnt you know..everyone needs nukes so when it hits the fan the men behind their desks can kill everything and everyone..WHooooo hooooooo

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
Didnt you know..everyone needs nukes so when it hits the fan the men behind their desks can kill everything and everyone..WHooooo hooooooo

i always thought it was to defend the planet from alian attack
have a Independnce day scenario. then again if there were any alians out there all they would have to do is sit back and play cards while we kill each other

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Quick! Put three carriers off their coast, everyone go crazy about it and lets have a few posters saying Brazil should be "glassified" and promising them "Brazilofacists" visits from B1's, B52's and B2's!!!!

On a more serious note, Brazil had a weapons programme for years, and was on the verge of becoming a nuclear power in its own right at one point. Maybe they'll take it the full step forward this time.

If they do, you can bet that Argentina will as well.

[edit on 11/0707/07 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
bodrul,

You may be on to something but i have another idea why everyone needs nukes..

Were making the biggest ever bag of popcorn..how else could we pop so much corn!

Nuclear winter is a small price to pay for the worlds biggest bag of popcorn,i mean this is just logic.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
Nuclear winter is a small price to pay for the worlds biggest bag of popcorn,i mean this is just logic.

I am so on board with this idea!

Didn't Brazil sign a defence pact or trade agreement with India, China and possibly Russia a while back? If the search was better I may be able to find the thread on here
So if I remember correctly I have some questions

What help, if any is needed, will these other nations give to Brazil?

What does this mean for the global community? Not only in terms of any military and defense benefits but also with regards to Brazil being a bigger player in trade and in the U.N. as don't forget, the G4 nations (Brazil, Germany, India and Japan) support one another’s bid for permanent seats on the Security Council.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
what is `worrying` the USA is that there are ALOT of countries , only `moments` (figuratively speaking) away from having `the bomb` and what will happen when both brazil and argentina have the capability? sure there `friends` now - but look at the treament of Iran all because the regime in washington do not like the regime in Tehran.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
what will happen when both brazil and argentina have the capability?

i can imagine the looks on downingstreet
when they get the bomb and then come out with we want the falklands back.
now with a nuclear armed country wounder what would happen

(this is if they ever got nukes)

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Originally posted by Harlequin
what will happen when both brazil and argentina have the capability?

i can imagine the looks on downingstreet
when they get the bomb and then come out with we want the falklands back.
now with a nuclear armed country wounder what would happen

(this is if they ever got nukes)

It is alright been a nuclear armed country, it is another thing having the ability to deliver that payload over several thousand miles, so I think the Falklands are safe for now, well apart from a Argentine nuke that is

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
As countries become richer and richer more will want the toys the big boys have had for so long. Unfortunately, every country is not mature enough to have nuclear weapons.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
every country is not mature enough to have nuclear weapons.

Mature enough to have nuclear weapons... Like who? What nation on earth would you consider mature? The US? Britain? Russia? If we use the literal definition of maturity, hell man Iraq is thousands of years old. If we use some slighted definition to say we are 'better', well that begs the question... What the HELL is mature about touting the ability to kill millions of your fellow man? What gives us this level of maturity? What makes us so much better than them?
Why is ok for us to have them, but no one else? Hypocrisy aside, do you know how absolutely disgusting that ethnocentricity is?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
O.K, let's all get used to up-coming Countries doing what they feel is in their best interest, nuclear power, weapons etc...

The days of foreign democracy dictatorship over foreign Countries is gone.
Get over it !
Diplomacy swings into action now.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Mature enough to have nuclear weapons... Like who? What nation on earth would you consider mature?

People who have had them for decades and never used them. European countries, Australia, Canada, Russia, Japan are just a few that are mature enough. Countries that aren't mature enough, Sudan, Libya, Palestine, most African nations, many Middle Eastern nations, some Asian nations, some South American nations.

Not everyone should have a nuke just because they "want" one.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
like to point out

In 1991 the parliaments of Argentina and Brazil ratified a bilateral inspection agreement that created the Brazilian-Argentine Agency for Accounting and Control of Nuclear Materials (ABACC) to verify both countries' pledges to use nuclear energy only for peaceful purposes.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Common Infinite, every country wants nuclear power for peaccccefffuulll reasons.

Now Israel most have them for. . . self defense in such a volatile region, and Iran wants them because they have oil to defend, I mean they are evil and terrorist and bad to the US

Brazil is . . . harmless . . . they got no oil only leather goods so they are harmless and mature and good . . .

Just like . . .Pakistan? harmless.

The hypocrisy in this world of who can and who should not and whom most never be allowed is just overwhelming.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Common Infinite, every country wants nuclear power for peaccccefffuulll reasons

Brazil will only develop nuclear weapons if Venezuela creates it's own program.

plus just maybe...Brazil does want nuclear power for energy purpose? after all, majority of the country is still in poverty

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Brazil will only develop nuclear weapons if Venezuela creates it's own program.

I believe that the day will come when Venezuela will do that also, but still Brazil has nothing Venezuela may want.

plus just maybe...Brazil does want nuclear power for energy purpose? after all, majority of the country is still in poverty

Poverty is not an issue here, we have seen that in Pakistan, India, NK and China before the economic boom.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
they slammed the door on the IAEA inspection team, and although your article is from 1991 - the one in teh top link is from last year; 15 years is along time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join