It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's former food and drug chief executed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   

China's former food and drug chief executed

abc.net.au

The former head of China's food and drug safety watchdog has been executed.

Zheng Xiaoyu, the head of the State Food and Drug Administration for seven years, was executed today.

He was at the centre of a series of tainted food and drug scandals which saw 100 people die in Panama after taking faulty Chinese drugs.

The United States recently banned Chinese animal feed and elsewhere Chinese toothpaste had contained toxic ingredients.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I had heard earlier on the news how shocking the corruption was. 100 people had died after taking faulty medicine given the all clear by this man. Hopefully, none of the products were exported to other countries.

It is perhaps a little late but at least China is getting tough on food, medicine standards

abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-7-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Yes they are getting tuffer of food and drug standards, but the problem does run deeper then that. There is a lot of corruption, as the article said in your opening post. He was convicted of taking bribes. It is the corruption that must be changed.

Also china executes a lot of people, not just for violet horrendous crimes.

In a report published on Friday, the London-based group said China has put people to death not just for violent crimes, but also for offences such as bribery, embezzlement and stealing gasoline.

"The campaign is nothing short of an execution frenzy, a huge waste of human life," it says.

Ethnic Uighurs in Xinjiang have been executed for subversion

Using figures tallied from publicly available reports, Amnesty International said that since an anti-crime campaign, Strike Hard, was launched in April, China has carried out at least 1,781 executions and passed 2,960 death sentences

bbc
So with figures like that for executions, I think you can also see that the executions them selves, could and would not surprise me if they are part of the corruption.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Ahha, the ultimate in 'accountability' for wayward public officials...

is this a beginning of a purge?
will factory CEOs who allow dangerous chemicals, top-executives who opt to cut corners which endangers the public, all for illicit personal gain be next??

Could this level of accountability be adopted by the global community
in respect to other excessivly greedy public officials & others in private industry?

i couldn't say if this action is a step forward or a step back...

new topics

top topics

join