It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AL GORE - Afraid? A sham? A Liar? Or worse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
A respected Ivy League professor called Al Gore out on his highly profitable farce - the global warming myth.

The stakes? A ten thousand dollar bet on the results of cumulative temperature change by the year 2017. The professor's bet? That Al Gore is just what he is, a sham.

The results? Al Gore refuses to take the bet. What does this have to say about the front man for the biggest scam of the decade?

AL GORE - A LIAR.

AL GORE - AFRAID?

AL GORE - A FARCE.

Discuss.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I think it says more about those who read any significance into it

I personally think Gore is an obsessive zealot who can't see the whole picture. But nonetheless, not wanting to partake in a gimmicky bet of this nature means nothing.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I don't see any gimmick sir. Perhaps you are the one reading too far into this.
The proceeds of the bet - around twenty thousand dollars by the end - were to go to CHARITY.

Where sir, is the gimmick in giving to the needy?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Who cares if he is a fraud? Even if global-warming is a farce, humans are destroying this planet, and at least Gore is getting some sort of message out there.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Who cares if he is a fraud? Even if global-warming is a farce, humans are destroying this planet, and at least Gore is getting some sort of message out there.

I'm sorry. I'd rather have no message than the wrong one.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Maybe the problem resides in the fact, One out of five believe the Sun revolves around the Earth.

The easiest to fool are those who are already ignorant.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The cumulative increase in global temps in the next 10 years is meaningless in terms of global warming or any other climate change. Especially when the overall trend is 0.2c per decade.

I daresay the bet was made knowing that Gore was unlikely to take it up - just another attempt at an ad hom attack on him when none are needed. It just serves to further undermine the attempts of genuine sceptics and others to show that there's a lot more to climate change than a few silly tons of CO2 .....

In my opinion

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I fail to see how Gore's message is the wrong one. What, it's a good thing to dump tonnes of plastic waste into holes, and strip mine ancient landscapes, and de-forest the Amazon? He advocates global action on the atrocities committed against the environment, not just global warming.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I fail to see how Gore's message is the wrong one. What, it's a good thing to dump tonnes of plastic waste into holes, and strip mine ancient landscapes, and de-forest the Amazon? He advocates global action on the atrocities committed against the environment, not just global warming.

This thread concerns global warming. The concern of this thread is the matter currently still in debate - global warming is a sham.

This thread does -not- concern illegal dumping, mining practices, or any of the above.
Please try to stay on topic.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
Al Gore - Refuses to debate IPCC scientists on global warming.

The Heartland Institute has been running ads in national newspapers
calling on Al Gore to debate Lord Christopher Monckton, a prominent global
warming "skeptic." Starting today, the institute says it is now including
Dennis Avery, an economist and coauthor of a book on global warming that is on the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list, who Gore has also refused
to debate.

It'd be more fun to see Al Gore debate the issues with an actual climate scientist
Monckton is very much to sceptics what Gore is to believers - both good at repeating what they've been told and picking the bits that suit their own agendas, but without giving any impression that have a full understanding of the wider issues. Avery I know nothing about other than that he co-authored Fred Singer's book.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think that it is just plain rude of you, forsakenwayfarer, to accuse me of derailing this thread. The title is 'AL GORE - Afraid? A sham? A Liar? Or worse? ', and as such I am using direct examples from issues and topics Gore has influence on to argue with. Perhaps I should direct you to this thread: Empathy, sorely lacking in the world and HERE at ATS.

That's a good thread, if you read it fully, and not just skim.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
You are quite the amusing one. Strange that suddenly we question the credentials of Ivy League professors and their papers/findings.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I keep asking this, but no one answers.

Whats so scary about living greener, receycling and looking after the planet better?

Does it really matter who says it?

Just because Al Gore is involved, does that make a difference?

If it does then use me.

I, Neformore, say we should be putting less crap into the atmosphere, recycling whereever possible in order to preserve resources, saving energy by being more efficient and generally being a damn site nicer to the planet we live on.

There. I've stripped away the party politics from it. Get on with it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I think that it is just plain rude of you, forsakenwayfarer, to accuse me of derailing this thread. The title is 'AL GORE - Afraid? A sham? A Liar? Or worse? ', and as such I am using direct examples from issues and topics Gore has influence on to argue with. Perhaps I should direct you to this thread: Empathy, sorely lacking in the world and HERE at ATS.

That's a good thread, if you read it fully, and not just skim.

Ah, consider it what you will. The intention was not rude, it was a polite nudge away from the attempt to change the topic of conversation from global warming to - oh! strip mining and plastics dumping. How is that not derailment?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I fail to see how Gore's message is the wrong one.

Sometimes the ends justify the means.

But I prefer the truth regardless. Both Gore and many of the 'contrarians' who oppose him are equally good at picking which bits of the truth to use, misinterpreting data and even misinforming the public, in their determination to convince the public that they are right.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I keep asking this, but no one answers.

Whats so scary about living greener, receycling and looking after the planet better?

Does it really matter who says it?

Just because Al Gore is involved, does that make a difference?

If it does then use me.

I, Neformore, say we should be putting less crap into the atmosphere, recycling whereever possible in order to preserve resources, saving energy by being more efficient and generally being a damn site nicer to the planet we live on.

There. I've stripped away the party politics from it. Get on with it.

And not a thing wrong with any of those statements. However, they were not made in the context of fear-mongering and attempting to push a political agenda. Nor did quote any false information.

A star from me goes to you for this, but please do try to stay on the topic of the truth or fallacy of Al Gore's statements regarding global warming.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well perhaps I did not properly understand what your thread was about, considering how you titled it so appropriately.

Neformore's attitude is the one that is best for this planet. And, it would appear, is what Gore is preaching. I'm not saying I like the guy, I'm not saying I agree everything he says, and I'm not saying he would be a good leader, if indeed these concerts are part of a election campaign.
I'm just saying that even if there are ulterior motives in what Gore says, Neformore's opinion is what he is ingraining in society. Here is Australia there have been many television ads leading up to the Sydney concert, all demonstrating ways we can do our part to reduce the impact we have. And that's bad?

Or is it just the man behind the message you have a problem with.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
.... please do try to stay on the topic of the truth or fallacy of Al Gore's statements regarding global warming.

Oi, stop trying to change the subject
I thought we were discussing whether Gore should have accepted a meaningless bet

I'm getting confused whether I'm arguing for or against him now!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Al Gore's predictions make Junk Science's TOP TEN

Amusing, to say the least.

As I stated earlier, this is quite the lucrative enterprise for Gore, his movie;

...has grossed over $24 million in the U.S. and over $49 million worldwide as of June 3, 2007, making it the third-highest-grossing documentary in the U.S. to date (after Fahrenheit 9/11 and March of the Penguins).

From wiki's article on An Inconvenient truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join