It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British PM Calls for International Registry for Terror Suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
How useful will such a move be? First of all how does one go about making such a registry? What will be the criteria?

An excerpt from the news article below:

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown says he wants a European registry of known and suspected terrorists so that information can be shared internationally.

See the full article at the link below:

British PM Calls for International Registry for Terror suspects

What impact will this move have on the Muslim population in UK? Is such a registry really possible?

AryanWatch

[edit on 9-7-2007 by AryanWatch]

[edit on 9-7-2007 by AryanWatch]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This seems to be something that is long past due. I don't think it would affect the muslim population in a negative way...it would instead add relief to the majority of the population.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Agreed. I only hope that this move doesn't lead to more digruntled voices from the Muslim population in different parts of the world. Conventionally,Muslims have been voicing there concerns about being targeted unfairly by the govenments of different countries they are in. If this kind of attempt is made,they might take it as another attack on their communities.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I thought Brown banned the use of words like "Muslim" and "Terrorists"?

What is he going to call this list? "A Random List of Bad Guys According to Mr. Brown"?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:33 AM
link   
My bet is that this kind of list is not gonna see the light of the day as whichever communities appear in the list in majority,is gonna question the government's motive behind embarking on a mission like this. And that would require a lot of answers.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
No,
anything benefical to the Nazi's should never be implemented in todays society.

over a month ago I was investigated and fired from my job because of my post '' too many co-incidences '' Inciting hatred were the terms I belive they used.

seems i raised some red flags, which ordered my american company to investigate me... I had to provide a character witness for an interview with 'american' security officials from my company.

Will I now be on this list ?

The word 'suspected' is the issue here...

This sounds DANGEROUSLY close to the jewish catalouge the nazi's used.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sorry to hear you lost your job Agit8dChop, that really sucks. There is no free speech these days when everybody is so keen to be seen to be toeing the line and in lockstep with the authorities, even if they secretly harbour alternative viewpoints. Very sad.

The problem with these lists is the content and who is on them. As has already been seen in the past when programmes like this have been introduced, the figures are bumped up with people who are completely innocent. Simply having and voicing dissent, attending rallies and demonstrations is enough to get you investigated and put on a watch list that could affect your job prospects and travel and ultimately your ability to even feed yourself. Once branded a suspect most employers would not touch you.
There have been hundreds, if not several thousand, people in the UK who have been arrested and charged under the prevention of terrorism laws simply for being at a demo, without any proof of activism or lawlessness, let alone terrorism. But, due to the sweeping powers these laws give the police, they are abused for expediancy at the time.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AryanWatch
What impact will this move have on the Muslim population in UK? Is such a registry really possible?

AryanWatch

Considering that there have been more Irish terrorist attacks in the UK than muslim ones, doesn't this question actually thow up a few flags about your particular bias here?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Considering that there have been more Irish terrorist attacks in the UK than muslim ones, doesn't this question actually thow up a few flags about your particular bias here?

neformore - Good point. Pardon me for that one. My comment had more to do with the 'International threat in the present day' and hence that mix up. I can understand your point as the OP is more to do with the British Policy makers. Anyways,thanks for pointing out.

There have been hundreds, if not several thousand, people in the UK who have been arrested and charged under the prevention of terrorism laws simply for being at a demo, without any proof of activism or lawlessness, let alone terrorism

Excellent point Britguy. This is what can be the real problem. As you rightly pointed out,once someone's name appears in that list,he can rest assured of a long term unemployment. This is where the importance of 'criteria' for forming any such list comes to my mind. First of all the definition for terror or terrorism or terrorist needs to be established. I'am sure Brown has his advisors wide awake.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
On the international BBC broadcast this morning, the anchorwoman reported that Great Britain is one of the over 100 countries which do not sent a representative to Interpol. The BBC report went on to say that this lack of representation is in essence a missed opportunity to share and receive timely and globally focused data on terror organizations.

This new call for an international registry on terrorists should therefore begin by looking at what Interpol can offer, in order to make the best use of already-existing official global monitoring networks.

[edit on 7/9/2007 by Uphill]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Agit8dChop, !!!!!!Bravo!!!!!!!!

Thanks for seeing this move proposed by the New and improved Prime minister for what is looks.

It smells like Nazi agenda to me, against the muslins living in the UK and other parts of Europe.

V is for vendetta I saw that movie for the first time at home and I can pretty much relate the issues of governments right now with that fictional movie.

This nothing more than a witch hunt in which the target will become regular citizens and as usual the bad people will never find their names in the proposed list.

All in the name of for the good of the people and fighting terrorism.

I can not wait to see the reaction of the muslin communities of good citizens calling this proposal for what it is.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

It smells like Nazi agenda to me, against the muslins living in the UK and other parts of Europe.

marg - Why do you say that? Or is it just because you also see every move made by any government in the world to be anti - Islamic? There have been more attacks by the Irish in UK,so why do you think this list is made to harass the Muslims?

V is for vendetta I saw that movie for the first time at home and I can pretty much relate the issues of governments right now with that fictional movie.

What is common about these two - The movie and the move? Care to explain please?

the bad people will never find their names in the proposed list.

Why do you think so? I think 'bad guys' will definately find their names in the list. My only worry is that a few good men might also be included.

I can not wait to see the reaction of the muslin communities of good citizens calling this proposal for what it is.

Even i'am waiting to ssee that. but not only the reaction of the Muslim Communities but of the entire population.

AryanWatch

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

This new call for an international registry on terrorists should therefore begin by looking at what Interpol can offer, in order to make the best use of already-existing official global monitoring networks.

Uphill - Very well said. It would be a very logical thing to do. In today's world,if any government wants to stand alone in this fight,it's calling for trouble. All the available information across countries needs to be mobilised if a sustainable result is to be achieved. Very well said.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
In the long run what good will this list do? Are security services are dire, they have admitted before to watching alleged terrorists only to drop the surveillance operations as they don't perceive sir/madam to be a threat and before you know it the said terrorists are running around the country dropping bombs.
Oh dear sorry we had them under watch but we got bored decided they weren't a threat so we gave up, seems to be the typical security service response.

What is needed is more support from the Muslim community to speak out against the Muslim schools of hate and murder ( I would have used the term mosque here but theres a mosque not to far from me n the worshipers there seem cool (singing a praying etc), it's the other group that meet in the other part of town, behind closed doors and drawn curtains that worry me((loud shouting banging, strange death like chants ((I speak not a word of Arabic so could they could be very nice chants))

The UK needs to work closer with the Muslim/Asian community to try and find out why so many young men feel alienated from our society.
By creating this list we will only alienate and offend innocent members of there communities thus giving them more reason to hate us.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

By creating this list we will only alienate and offend innocent members of there communities thus giving them more reason to hate us.

TPP - I beg to differ with your this point. In my opinion,this list will actually be helpful in improving the image of Muslims and will have the names of only those who are involved in such activities. This way, a common Muslim would be spared the embarassement.

new topics

top topics

join