It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The amazon Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The Brazilian Amazon culture has a long standing myth of a creature called a "Mapinguary". It is a tall, sasquatch-like creature that is said to be quite aggressive, even having been known to 'eat' humans who have crossed its path. Myth, or reality? Who knows. But certainly many of the villagers in this region believe in, and fear it...

news.aol.com...

[edit on 8-7-2007 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The Mapinguary is a combination of a myth (tobacco-loving old guy who eats brains and coincidentally is a big furry monster) and a supposedly extinct giant ground sloth known to have lived in the Amazon a few hundred thousand years ago. Its probably one of the most likely to exist cryptids. Sadly, it will probably be wiped out by deforestation before we can study it.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
the AOL story is much more fanciful that what i just seen at the NYT

it seems the Mapinguary (pronounced; ma-ping-wahr-EE)
is believed to be a giant slothlike creature...
probably similar to the long vanished 'Megatherium'
see link for a drawing; www.nytimes.com...
(i have an account, perhaps you will too)

Be careful, lore has it that it's stare can make one dizzy & turn night into day
And it's fur is so matted & full of muck, the creature is impervious to bullets & arrows

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Wasn't a Megatherium "skin" found in a cave a while ago, and dated to be only a few thousand years old?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horrificus
Wasn't a Megatherium "skin" found in a cave a while ago, and dated to be only a few thousand years old?

Yes, there was. this is why I said that the mapingaury is a very likely cryptid.

top topics

join