It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do people on ATS stand on this?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

2. All mankind came from a rock about 3-4.5 billion years ago.

I have never heard an ateist or scientist say the number 2 option, only christians ...

We could to it this way

Do you believe in

1. A fairytail that is written by many people, containing parts copied from the egytians stories.

OR

2. That the world has evolved for billions of years based on facts.

Scientist these days DO say that we are not sure how it all started. And the "from a stone" options the christians allways come up with is a childish way of making fun of something you probably dont understand..

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think the main problem with this thread is that the creationists don't understand what evolution is.
Like many people they hear that word and think of apes into man,a fish suddenly growing wings,a bird turning into a hippo etc

Evolution means so much more....

evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population from generation to generation. These traits are the expression of genes that are copied and passed on to offspring during reproduction. Mutations in these genes can produce new or altered traits, resulting in heritable differences (genetic variation) between organisms. New traits can also come from transfer of genes between populations, as in migration, or between species, in horizontal gene transfer. Evolution occurs when these heritable differences become more common or rare in a population, either non-randomly through natural selection or randomly through genetic drift.

Natural selection is a process that causes heritable traits that are helpful for survival and reproduction to become more common, and harmful traits to become more rare. This occurs because organisms with advantageous traits pass on more copies of these heritable traits to the next generation.[1][2] Over many generations, adaptations occur through a combination of successive, small, random changes in traits, and natural selection of those variants best-suited for their environment.[3] In contrast, genetic drift produces random changes in the frequency of traits in a population. Genetic drift arises from the role chance plays in whether a given individual will survive and reproduce.

One definition of a species is a group of organisms that can reproduce with one another and produce fertile offspring. However, when a species is separated into populations that are prevented from interbreeding, mutations, genetic drift, and the selection of novel traits cause the accumulation of differences over generations and the emergence of new species.[4] The similarities between organisms suggest that all known species are descended from a common ancestor (or ancestral gene pool) through this process of gradual divergence.

Just an example.
People should also read the works of Alfred Russel Wallace.
Darwin wasn't the only one.....

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

oh man, i love your signature

---------------------------------
please read ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/10/07 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by acegotflows

Well, there you have a dillema.. If we got help, the helpers allso needed help, and so on ...

If there is a creator, the creator had to be created .. You are stuck in a bad loop.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I can quite envisage a day when mankinds technology allows him to go beyond dimensions of understanding and finally break through the realm that could be called Heaven.

And when they get there, they will open the doors to a great palace that therein stands, and a wizened old man will greet them with a pleasant smile.

The men will say "who are you?" to which this old man will reply "hmm...well, I suppose you can call me God."

The men will laugh and say "there is no God, only evolution", and God will give them a genial smile and say "well, how do you think I did it?"

The men will flounder and say "you can't be God, you aren't omniscient" to which the old man will reply "neither are you, but were I to introduce you to the first man that walked, he would truely call you LORD."

And the men will reply "why DNA? Why are things how they are? The way the mountains and oceans change, the universe and all it contains!" and the old man will shake his head and, with another smile, say "it was the only way I could make things work."

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tep200377

Cheers mate.Your's is cool too.

I remember reading it in a book and it made me laugh.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Personally, I believe both religion and the theory of evolution are wrong. I think beings from different star systems came to Earth and created our physical form.

In the Bible it says "Let us make man in our own image"

Can "our" be the various different races that took part in this experiment? Possibly, but I'm not claiming that as proof, just my belief.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

...then where did all the other animals come from?
and what about the beings from other planets?
you're just creating a level of regress by saying an external source did it...
and you're doing so without any legitimate scientific backing.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Well, according to the Raelians, aliens created everything. The animals, plant forms, terraforming the planet.. the whole lot.

You may then ask 'well who created these aliens'? The answer is 'other aliens'. Humans are yet to comprehend the idea of multiverses, multiple dimensions and existences, the idea of an infinite state of being. But science is slowly catching up. We know that dna can spontaneously self-evolve and humans are beginning to create life themselves in laborarories (see the recent news story on here).

I completely agree with Gee-Gee. Both religion and atheism are 'probably' tools of deception. The truth about god is likely to be a oneness, a consciousness (maybe David Icke is right?!), we are all connected via the complex web of inter-dimensions and possible parallel universes (Donnie Darko fiction or fact after all? Go to Project Camelot and listen to what they have to say on timeline issues, Dan Burisch's video interviews).

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RiotComing

atheism is a lack of something, it can't be deceiving. it's actually scientific, unlike anything you've stated.

the problem is the whole raelian craze is just another religion without any evidence of proof behind it, it's just as invalid as the other beliefs.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

...then where did all the other animals come from?
and what about the beings from other planets?
you're just creating a level of regress by saying an external source did it...
and you're doing so without any legitimate scientific backing.

I'm pretty sure I started my post with "Personally, I believe". I base my beliefs on those who have had alien contact and whistle blowers. It all just makes a lot more sense to me then some slime turning into a bipedal human, or a sky fairy creating the universe out of thin air. It makes sense that primitive man could have mistaken technologically/spiritually advanced extraterrestrials to be Gods. It makes sense to me that we find fossils of man's evolutionary progression due to genetic tampering. I don't have any proof, I'm just stating what I think is true.

As far as who created animals and those beings? Read RiotComing's post.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
I am wondering where ATS'rs stand on Evolution and Creation and the Age of the Earth. These two belief systems have been in a fight since the day the evolution theory was written down. So I am just wondering where the Trained Minds of the ATS boards stood. The two beliefs are pretty easy to understand when you get down to the bottom fo them.

1. All mankind came from Adam and Eve whom God created about 6000 years ago.

OR

2. All mankind came from a rock about 3-4.5 billion years ago.

I will go first and say that I believe the Bible's account of our Origin. Everywhere I look I see designs and I know that there must be a designer. I can not look at it any other way logically, when I see a toaster I see a design and know that somewhere there is designer. I never think that possibly "Billions" of years ago the basic elements in that toaster were all seperate and that over TIME they just became a toaster through trial and error. I don't look at pencils and think that "Billions" of years ago that was just lead and wood and look what "TIME" has done to it. The idea of a helpful mutation is a hard one for me to grasp too, and considering that scientists can not point to a helpful mutation either they probably don't exist. I think that to think that everything we have came out of nothing, turned into rocks, and then into humans after billions of years is a fairytale.

It is obvious that ATS is pro evolution since creation is included in Origins And Creationism Conspiracy

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Do you believe in

1. A fairytail that is written by many people, containing parts copied from the egytians stories.

OR

2. That the world has evolved for billions of years based on facts.

Scientist these days DO say that we are not sure how it all started. And the "from a stone" options the christians allways come up with is a childish way of making fun of something you probably dont understand..

or if you want to think logically you can go back in time where the text books says that ..."it rained on the rocks for millions of years... turned them into soup and soup came alive about 3 billions years ago" not quite quote per quote, but in a nutshell thats what it says.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I fail to see any evidence that these are mutually exclusive theories.

Subscription to either does not imply the impossibility of the other.

Soon enough you will either "know" the answer, or you will simply cease to exist.

Remember, one person's religion is another person's belly laugh.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I suppose you think that all of the dinosaur bones were placed there by Satan or God to deceive man, as well,eh?

No I think that they were buried in the flood in Noah's days as were all the things that sunk and throough hydrological systems laid down the many layers of fossils and coal we find today...

Mt. St. Helens did this very thing to Spirit lake in 3 months. Soon enough there will be petrified trees all over the place like they find in Yellowstone...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Maybe the Answer is neither of these but in a way that is not even known by humankind.

Both Evolutionists and People of Roman Doctrine are of similar nature and therefore the argument can't be won by either.

Same old arguments just a different day...

My proof will come in about 15 to 16 months Time in the form of Technology.

This technology will Shock both Groups.....

You will just have to be patient and wait.

The Reality is, This Technology is coming out, and this fact, can't be changed by anyone.

So for now I am out of your arguments.

Good luck to both groups but remember you are both arguing over Human Reasoning that is produced through Double Logic that is in your DNA!

Evolution knows this, And Religion tells you the same in the book of Genesis....

<< 20  21  22   >>

join