It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Seven Wonders of the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The final tally produced this list of the world's top human-built wonders:

• The Great Wall of China

• Petra in Jordan

• Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer

• Peru's Machu Picchu

• Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid

• The Colosseum in Rome

• India's Taj Mahal

Source

So what happens to the old 7?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Apparently they aren't considered wonders anymore because they aren't still standing. I don't think they ever actually said why we needed new ones though...

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The most interesting point in the article for me, was the fact that UNESCO is distancing itself and has no connection whatsoever.

Am I right in assuming that UNESCO effectively 'owns' the sites that become "World Heritage Sites"?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Should I be embarrassed that I haven't actually heard of 3 of those before?

Any why isn't Cambodia's Angkor Wat on that list? It is, for want of a better word, simply AMAZING. If I was dying in a week and could go to only one place, that'd be it. It's a pity it isn't appreciated as much as it should be. It has been overrun with tourists, who all want to take 'just a small souvenir.'

[edit on 7/7/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
So what happens to the old 7?

The only original wonder still standing is the Great Pyramid at Giza. It retains its status.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I agree with Angkor Wat, watch_the_rocks! If I recall correctly it was one of the ones up for consideration that people could vote on. The list turned out better than I expected, some of the possibilities they put forward didn't seem all that amazing. In my humble lay-opinion the list is nice, with the exception of Taj Mahal and the Christ Redeemer statue - I mean, they're nice sites, but I kind of fail to see what's so special about them.

Hagia Sophia, and Saint Peter's Basilica, for example, are much more awe-inspiring to me than the Taj Mahal. And the Christ Redeemer statue, well, it's still not all that old, and is there anything special about it, other than it's size (and dramatic location)?

top topics

join