It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU spends billions of £ on 'brainwashing campaign'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The European Union (EU) is spending nearly 4 billion £ a year on efforts to communicate to the public how great and useful the EU is to the world. Lee Rotherham points out many interesting facts and figures in his new book, "Hearts & Minds: the Tax-funded PR Campaign to Make us Love Brussels."

"This stuff is relentlessly positive about the EU's work, with only the tiniest, if any, mention of the counter-arguments or any dissenting voices. Brussels realises it is losing people's hearts and minds and so it is spending more and more of our money on marketing material and hordes of press officers to champion its existence."
Telegraph.co.uk

The EU is running their PR machine on many fronts, but one notable example is their cartoon which they're targeting children's interests. The cartoon is called Operation Red Dragon (Read it here) and features the daring Elisa Correr, a MEP, who lives a James Bond style life while on her official EU duties abroad. The EU is also pushing other literature into the schools that informs students how lucky they are to belong to the EU, the greatest organization in the world.

You can also find great examples of their PR push on You tube. Yes, they have their own channel full of great movies.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I lived in Europe while the EU was getting solidly established. I told the Brits I knew repeatedly that they were going to have to watch out, or in about 50 years or so their federal government would be just as money-grubbing, power hungry and corrupt as our own federal government, because the main purpose of a federal system is to grab more power for itself.

Nobody listened, they were all enamored of the idea that they're all united now and that they wouldn't go the route our own feds did.

I say good luck, and come back to me in 50 years or so and tell me if you feel the same way ...

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Watched those vids......gotta say i'm pretty much brainwashed now.

I'm not a particular fan of the EU but IMHO these vids and 'cartoons' are just Public Relations stints.....nothing more, nothing less. What really annoys me is that as a net contributor to the EU, it is our £'s that they are wasting.

I'd much rather see them put up a million llama farms in Spain, or pay farmers in France some more social benefit to do nothing. Or why not subsidise the German sausage market....or maybe the EU could use this money to something really useful and sponsor the entire EU parliament to swim the Atlantic!!!

join