It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Shoppers Stepped Over Stabbing Victim, One took a picture

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hey isn't it possible to send pictures to 911 these days? I mean if someone stopped to take a picture, what if they did it so they can send it to 911? If the picture is taken on a cell phone it would be easy to send.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me. Many people the world over are pig ignorant. I was being mugged once in a bad part of town and even though I asked several people who passed, looking into their eyes as well, for help, I received none. As it happens, I helped myself and fought them off and ran, but thats by the by.

It may have had something to do with me being white in a black neighborhood, everyone that passed was Black or Asian, but that shouldn't really have a bearing. I've waded in to help complete strangers, regardless who they are.

As for the comments regarding that Republics don't last much more than 200 years, the Roman republic laster for over 450 years until Julius Caesar and Octavian consolidated power and began the Imperial age of Rome, which lasted for another 400 or so years before the final collapse.

[edit on 6/7/07 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
This is what becomes of a nation with almost no morality left. But this is the kind of nation that Godless people want. A nation where Howard Stern rules and Christians are insulted and laughed at.

Er nah mate. I'm pretty much Atheist, but I still hold morals. If I saw someone lying in a pool of blood i'd help them no matter what colour/race/religion they were. It's human nature; look after each other. To me, it's got nothing to do with Christianity.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

Originally posted by jbondo
This is what becomes of a nation with almost no morality left. But this is the kind of nation that Godless people want. A nation where Howard Stern rules and Christians are insulted and laughed at.

Er nah mate. I'm pretty much Atheist, but I still hold morals. If I saw someone lying in a pool of blood i'd help them no matter what colour/race/religion they were. It's human nature; look after each other. To me, it's got nothing to do with Christianity.

I second that motion.

I am actually rather offended by jbondo's comments there. The implication is that those without religion have no morals or ethics and are in effect worthless.

I am a devout Atheist, yet willingly and without question help a fellow human being. In my experiences, it's religious people who are the most bigoted and unhelpful of the lot.

apc

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I don't think spirituality, religion, or modern media has anything to do with it.

I hold no religion, not even Atheism, and I love some good ol' fashioned D&D (Death and Destruction).

Blowin' stuff up... people getting their heads cut off and intestines consumed... makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

But I still get on my loudspeaker and yell when I see a woman get dragged out of her car by some guy twice my size (they were even illegals...). I still call 911 when I drive up on a shooting. And I still stop to offer medical aid to someone who has been injured.

I hate most people. Most people, I'd rather wipe their brains off my boot than give them the time of day. But those same people, when in obvious need of assistance, will receive mine.

No, this has nothing to do with faith or video games. This has to do with people being plain and simple scum. Which, coincidentally, is why I hate most of them.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
apc, I think me and you are quite alike. I cannot stand people on the whole but will assist where I can anyway. Just because I don't like people and they are mostly stupid or scum, I shouldn't lower myself. I doubt many would help me, but should that matter?

I also like guts, explosions and gory deaths!

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
But I still get on my loudspeaker and yell when I see a woman get dragged out of her car by some guy twice my size (they were even illegals...). I still call 911 when I drive up on a shooting. And I still stop to offer medical aid to someone who has been injured.

What are you, a magnet to violence or something?

I'm not sure what it is that causes people to do such violence to other normal people for no real reason. I can understand it in a warzone or something, or for the military against some sort of terrorist attack like Beslan, but I can't understand doing it for such reasons as "they looked at me funny" or similar.

In fact, I can sort of understand the way that the terrorist's mind works, mainly due to the fact that I worked out that if I had had their upbringing, I would be doing what they do. You can deny that if you want, but thats pretty much all that differs us from them.

Edit

I doubt many would help me, but should that matter?

As far as i can tell, I can't really see why it should matter. Every now and then you hear that someone has decided to help some complete stranger who has fallen into the sea and drowned doing it, but even with such risk, they did it. But yet a lot of people would not.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by apex]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Until now I only read along on ATS, but when I read this post, I just had to answer. Excuse my spelling, I'm Dutch btw...

It happens all over the world. People see other people get beaten to death, stabbed, shot, and they just turn around and walk away. I guess it has something to do with fear, fear of being involved, and maybe even get hurt. Maybe they have a point there, it's easy to say on a forum that you would help someone who gets beaten or even worse, but in real life, I don't know...I think I would help, but who knows what my instinct would tell me to do when the moment is there. I just hope I would do the right thing.

But when people start taking pictures of victims bleeding to death, I think they are to far away from reality. When you see someone that is hurt, you help them, end of discussion.

3 weeks ago, the police in Holland got a phone call in the middle of the night. People were hearing screaming from the house next to them. So, two police officers were there within 5 minutes! Real fast..But when they heard a man screaming from the top floor, they decided not to do anything but call for backup...By the time the backup arrived (some more police officers), and they went into the house, the screaming man had died. He had been tortured by two other men, who were arrested at the scene. Remember, the police has guns, pepper spray, bulletproof vests, and a weapon stick over here.

When even the police doesn't dare to help a human in distress, then I really ask myself what this world has to offer for my two children
I really hope people will change for the better in the near future....

Fred

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
I can't understand doing it for such reasons as "they looked at me funny" or similar.

Haha you're also in Britain, I take it you've had encounters with chavs then? I hate it when they start fights with stupid excuses like that

"oi mate whatchoo lookin at!?"

It's just so that they can feel big and accomplished by beating someone up, and they're always guaranteed to win because they travel in groups.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Haha you're also in Britain, I take it you've had encounters with chavs then? I hate it when they start fights with stupid excuses like that

Well i've never had it happen to me personally, but it's the sort of thing you can occasionally hear about. Chavs are an interesting sort of people, but in principle I don't really care what they think or what they think I'm doing, but in practice I've never had a brush with them from such a negative isue.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't see what the problem is with taking a pic. I take pictures of things around be as a hobbie and one time this guy was racing his car, hit a curb and the car flew flipping through the air and the guy ended up being ejected from the vehicle. It happened right in front of me so I was one of the very first ones on the scene and you could tell he wasn't going to make it because his head and face was deformed from the impact and he was just making gurgling noises. After calling 911 I knew there was nothing else I could do for him so I took pictures of him and the vehicle, don't ask me why...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Being constantly exposed to violence in the media and movies is making us indifferent to it.

apc

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Wrong as usual with your one-liner, anok.

Exposure doesn't change a person's comprehension of right and wrong. Every person on the planet knows right from wrong. No amount of gory movies can change that, nor make people willfully commit wrongful acts. Arrogance is the culprit here.

I love a good dose of mayhem. If I encountered the same situation as Lecter, my first reaction would be, "Coooool!!" My second reaction would be to try and help the victim.

Originally posted by Lecter
After calling 911 I knew there was nothing else I could do for him so I took pictures of him and the vehicle, don't ask me why...

Bolded is where your case differs.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Wrong as usual with your one-liner, anok.

Wrong as usual LOL? Way to start, with a personal attack...

We're not talking about right and wrong, we're talking about reactions.

How do you figure its arrogance? Sry but the media does have an effect on our way of perceiving things, and if you think it doesn't you are either not paying attention or you have another more personal reason to defend it.

Sorry but arrogance does not explain the dulling down of our senses and reactions to violent situations. I'm not saying media causes violence, it just desensitizes us to it.

Educate yourself before you spread foot in mouth disease...

Epidemiologists studying a broad array of factors associated with violence, including poverty, racial discrimination, substance abuse, inadequate schools, joblessness and family dissolution, found that exposure to violent media was a factor in half of the 10,000 homicides committed in the United States the previous year.

www.aap.org...

(bolded by me)

[edit on 6/7/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
This is terrible, I really dont understand how people can be so cold and uncaring to another human being in need of help.

I have seen this many times. Three stories of my own:

I hate to point this out, but you and yours only helped out in one of your examples. Let's not point fingers at those who seemingly did nothing.

I think all that can be expected in that situation is for someone to call 911, and the article does not say that wasn't done. The stabbing is done.

I, for one, am not going to stick my hands into a stranger's open wound without propper gloves/mask. There is a reason that EMT's carry those things.

Before you jump all over me, I have rendered assistance twice and paid the price for it. Both times it was helping people that were being beaten up by groups. First time, I lost half a tooth, some memory and dislocated all the fingers on my left hand. Second time, knocked unconscious, huge black eye, knocked out same half of tooth. (I think I'm a much better fighter than I am
)

ps. don't blow your nose after being punched in the face.

apc

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
anok: I watch plenty of "violent media". I even play GTA. I have yet to kill anyone, or even have the inclination to actually carry out such an act. Desensitizing means nothing. It doesn't change knowing right from wrong.

I realize your kind doesn't believe in it, but personal responsibility does exist. People are responsible for their own actions, not the media.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

I realize your kind doesn't believe in it...

LOL I apologise in advance for this statement...What ignorant garbage!

If you mean by 'my kind' those that can see what is happening in the world around us without those big dollar signs getting in the way, then you're right.

Sry but I just proved you wrong, yet you continue with your uneducated drivel.
Open your eyes mate...Must be hard to talk with that foot there?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Um...she was black.
Silly thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This is quite a sad event, and being that I know the area of town she was in quite well it doesn't surprise me. The victim was stabbed at 25th and Hilliside in Wichita, which frankly is not one of the best areas of town, and we have had more than our fair share of events happening in that area before. However, this goes far beyond both descency and morality and I can say that as a proud Kansan it makes me sick to even live in the same area as people that would pass by a dying human.

On a side note...People have alluded to the fact that this was a African American woman that got stabbed, and I get the feeling you are hinting at racism. Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with the issue as this area of town is not exactly the most friendly of areas, and I have rarely seen anyone but African Americans so much as get out of their cars in this area. This is not one of those areas where White people would casually go out for a stroll.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
- Once at the train station a man was stumbling around bleeding from a wound in his leg saying he was stabbed while walking to the train station

[...]

Eventually after about 5 minutes of the guy sitting on the ground begging for help a man stepped forwards and gave him his hankerchef to put on his wound

I don't mean to single you out, ChrisF231, but you didn't say you helped him out in this time either. There is something in people's minds stopping them from helping out nowadays and I'm not one for believing its desensitization.

I recall an incident when I was in the UK visiting relatives. We were driving home late one night when we passed a kid (probably about 15) who was sat in a bus stop bloodied and crying his heart out. My aunty who was driving the car immediately stopped and got out and asked him what was wrong. Now I personally would not of gotten involved, I would of driven straight passed. But my aunty learned he'd been mugged by his own so-called friends and she offered to give him a ride home, which he gratefully accepted.

Now I'm not desensitized to violence. I've seen plenty of it in movies and on television as well as in video games. I guess the reason I would of driven passed is the heightened sensitivity engendered by our news media that seems to portray danger lurking around every single corner. I would not of gotten out of the car for fear of my own saftey and those of my loved ones. Desensitization isn't the problem, its over-sensitization.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join