It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Shoppers Stepped Over Stabbing Victim, One took a picture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Police: Shoppers Stepped Over Stabbing Victim, One took a picture

sfgate.com

As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

The June 23 situation, captured on the store's surveillance video, got scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle disclosed the existence of the video and its contents Tuesday.

Police have refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What is wrong with people? I was recently watching a show relating the Star Wars trilogy to present and past history and one comment really stuck with me. Republics do not collapse from extal pressure untill they have already eroded from within. Declining morals was one fo the resons for internal decline. Maybe its the Eagle Scout in me but I am at a loss as to why no one would render aid and one took a cell phone picture.

Helping those in this type of dire need is what we should be doing. Have we begun that decay that marked the end of so many Republics?

sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
That is just sickening. What purpose would a picture of that poor woman serve? I dont understand why no one would try and help her. We've all heard stories of people not comming forth to the police when witnessing a crime, but to leave the person dying, to be that apathetic, send shivers down my spine. Those people, if identified, should be exposed and prosecuted if possible.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Have we begun that decay that marked the end of so many Republics?

What do you mean begun?

From outside the self-centred world of the USA the decay has been visible for decades.

Happy fourth of July (assuming that means anything anymore).

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is terrible, I really dont understand how people can be so cold and uncaring to another human being in need of help.

I have seen this many times. Three stories of my own:

- Once at the train station a man was stumbling around bleeding from a wound in his leg saying he was stabbed while walking to the train station (which is in a high crime part of a nearby community). He was pretty distraught and someone obviously attacked him. There were maybe 30 or so people on the platform at the time plus a few MTA/LIRR workers none of who did nothing to help this man, nobody offered to make a 911 call, nobody offered to help him with his wound. Eventually after about 5 minutes of the guy sitting on the ground begging for help a man stepped forwards and gave him his hankerchef to put on his wound and a MTA/LIRR worker finally called the MTA Police (who because they have to cover all of Long Island + NYC took over an hour to get there). I was just in such shock that for 5 minutes nobody did anything including the transit workers who all have radios and cell phones.

- On vacation at my grandparents beach house in the Hamptons I saw a man and his girlfriend get into a ultra physical fight at a restaurant. This place was packed (like all bars and restaurants on Long Island's rural East End on a summer weekend) with maybe 100 people who litterly ignored this guy beating the living # out of his girlfriend. After a few minutes some sheriff's deputies came and arrested him; whether someone called the sheriff's office secretly or they were just driving by and saw the fight I dont know.

- on vacation in Puerto Rico an elderly man had a heart attack at the airport the morning we were coming home (Rafael Hernandez International in Aguadilla). Some people made an effort to try and get help but the TSA screeners were indifferent and the Puerto Rico Port Authority Police officers did not speak English and attempts to ask them where the automatic shock paddles was stored was futile (assuming they even have them) and they did not perform CPR and we then had to practically beg the airport workers to call for an ambulance and in a case of extreme idiotcy they sent an airport firetruck to a heart attack call and on top of that they also did not have shock paddles or even oxygen masks as well. After we got on the plane however an ambulance and some US Border Patrol agents and USAF Security Forces guys from the federal government part of the airport went into the terminal but I doubt the guy lived being that it was a good half hour before they came. Before the Feds came the only people who helped were my aunt, uncle and an NYPD officer who was on vacation.

I used to think that the Kitty Genovese thing was all made up when I learned about it in school but now i dont doubt it one bit. Every NYPD officer that responded to the scene now says without a doubt that if they had been called she would be alive today.

[edit on 4-7-2007 by ChrisF231]

[edit on 4-7-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am glad you brought this to my attention Fred. And no it is not just your Eagle Scout 'morals'.

Anyone with some conscience can find something seriously wrong with this.

I hope any normal human being would be on the ground talking to the woman and trying to get her help. That is just sad sad story.

Gools, I agree with you unfortunately. We have been on the decline for a long time...Rising inflation will soon push our economy right down the drain...Right now it is circling oblivion.

It's just unfortunate that a majority (vast majority) of Americans are asleep to the current state of affairs. They have no idea we are about to fall and have been for some time now.

We have already exceeded the longest standing Republics (Athens and Rome) and are slowly approaching the dictatorship stage (if we haven't already).

I believe around 225 years is about the extent of most Republics and it seems we are doomed to suffer the same fate.

Full-blown Fascism here we come. Or Communism, whichever hurts more

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Originally posted by FredT
Have we begun that decay that marked the end of so many Republics?

What do you mean begun?

From outside the self-centred world of the USA the decay has been visible for decades.

Sadly, I agree.

It is evident in nearly every place I look.

I see it in people I encounter on the streets...

I see it in the young people I employ...

I see it in our music and other media...

I see it on these boards...

I just keep hoping there are more of 'us' than there are of 'them'.

God help our future.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I read this story last night and it made me physically sick to hear that people could be so indifferent and self absorbed as to have virtually no re-action to such situation, we truely are living in a sad time when such things happen. such re-actions would have been unheard of 50 years ago.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If you watched Mel Gibson's Apocalypto opens with a quote from philosopher/historian Will Durant:

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

The sad part is that this is the ideology we have been spreading across the world since the end of WW2.

The only thing you can do is to remain vigilant, humble, and always helping people.

[edit on 7/4/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
She took a bloody picture of her with a CELL PHONE!?

USE THE BLOODY CELL PHONE TO CALL AN AMBULANCE YOU STUPID ****!!!!!

omg if I saw that happen i'd take the woman's cell phone, use it to call an ambulance then stick it up her arse.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It is quite scary that some people do not see others in pain, when they could clearly help out and restrain the violent person. A friend of mine was beaten and had his wallet nicked, right infront of several people at a bus stop in London on a busy morning.. i mean wtf is wrong with people these days!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is so sad and gets me so angry... you help people no matter what... even if it might be danger to you. I got angry once because I was babysitting my cousin at the park where he lives and his friend who was a little black boy got hurt... the other kids were trying to help which they did. I ordered my cousin to run into the house to get some clean towels...(I was using my shirt just to stop the bleeding) and ordered one of the kids on a bike to go get his mother or guardian.(Didn't warrent 911 to me cuz it was bleeding a lot but didn't look bad at all... just when it did stop it would be sore and painful for awhile.) His mother came and she was very grateful to me, told me that not everyone would have done what I did because of his background. I must have looked very confused cuz she told me not everyone in the complex liked her family due to the fact that it was mixed(she was white, father black...) I didn't and still don't understand that... a few months later I learned that they moved out and one of the neighbors who told me that said that they didn't belong there. Got me angry at that.(Sorry this was more of a racist story, but to me it fits into what everyone is talking about here.)

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

What do you mean begun?

Sad but true old friend. I do not know what is wrong with people any more. I sometimes think they need a good spanking. Makes me want to reverse my plans to move my lady and her kids down from Canada to live here. Maybe I should quit the job and start over up north. Just outside Montreal btw . . .yup, me fell for a canuck.

B

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I think we have been slowly conditioned this way. When people see blood, in the old days people would instantly think "Is that guy hurt? He looks like he needs an ambulance. *calls 911*. Now it is like blood = aids or hiv. "Stay away from that guy, he's bleeding I might get aids." I think tolerance and humbleness are dead. Society has become so fast and complex No. 1 is all you have time for these days. Sad. Very sad. Biggie Smalls, I saw tolerance and the old values displayed by you in a post that may have angered you earlier. (In a certain Nubiru thread). You handled it very well. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuncanIdahoGholem
I think we have been slowly conditioned this way. When people see blood, in the old days people would instantly think "Is that guy hurt? He looks like he needs an ambulance. *calls 911*. Now it is like blood = aids or hiv. "Stay away from that guy, he's bleeding I might get aids."

Or, they are squeamish and look away immediately. I can understand that people might be sickened by what they see, but not to help, what kind of people are they? How can you do such a thing? Even if you don't know what to do you can be of some use, call for help, maybe try and stop the bleeding. But no, take a picture with the mobile phone. Maybe next time they'll put it to better use. Like, hitting the attacker over the head with it.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I will pray that none of the people that failed to help will find themselves in the same situation. I'm sure if something ever did happen to one of those people their mind would immediately flash back to the woman lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

This is what becomes of a nation with almost no morality left. But this is the kind of nation that Godless people want. A nation where Howard Stern rules and Christians are insulted and laughed at.

These are the same people that fight for a bastardized type of freedom of expression for the sole purpose of pushing the vulgarity/morality envelope.

Remove God from a nation and watch it crumble beneath you....

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
For those you you who can't understand how this could happen, allow me to help. This country is methodically being driven down , morally, spritually and economically. The powers that be have gradually desensitised Americans through a variety of means. Through films, television, literature, video games and art this has reached a virtial tipping point.. Good example was my grandson's pre-k introduction to art. The first artist he was introduced to was Andy Warhol. Not Rembrandt, Michelangelo or Gainesborough. No, we need to introduce 4 year olds to heroin addicted homosexuals as soon as possible. Imagine the day in the life of an unsupervised teen who awakens on a weekday and spends three hours playing Grand Theft Auto. Then heads down to the local cinema to spend two hours watching the film 300 and then heads home to watch an hour of Jackass Tivoed. That person, through this conditiong, will eventually step over their own dying mother.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
That is some super deep fly-talk you got goign there YIAWETA. So deep it hits where we know its true. Now we only need to multiply that by a population of at least 10 million, and we see how bad it really is, not only here, but in the majority of the developed and developing world.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I agree with everyone here in the posts you have made.. While searching my feelings I came up with this thought, and why things have gotten so bad. I am guilty of this myself.. For instance..

Im driving late at night, I see a woman, and she is pregnant, and has a flat tire, her Van is broken down...
At one time it would be a good person to stop and help them..
Next thing you know, guys jump out of the Van and rob your ass! and leave you for dead.. All becasue you cared enough to help this woman..
Tricked! Fraud and lies, have lead alot of people just to keep on walking.
it could be a trap.. I dont stop for people these days, and I dont get into others business... However if I clearly see someone bleeding, Im going to help them, and deal with what happens to me, I havent lost all of my goodness due to people who prey on good hearts...
So the best thing we can do, is be aware of the dangers, but still keep an open heart to help, but I do warn you, in this day and age, Think about it before you jump in head first to help, You could be going head first into a trap that preys on peoples good hearts...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Any know any of links to the picture the girl took?

Enjoy the fall...getting up again will be the REALLY horrible days to be around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join