It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Tycoon Accused Of Coup Plot To Overthrow Putin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Russian Tycoon Accused Of Coup Plot To Overthrow Putin

english.aljazeera.net

Boris Berezovsky, the exiled Russian billionaire and fierce Kremlin critic who lives in London, has been formally accused by Russian authorities of plotting a coup.

Interviews in which the oligarch appeared to call for a violent overthrow of power in Russia.

British authorities, who granted Berezovsky political asylum in 2003, condemned the remarks.

The criminal charge carried a possible sentence of 12 to 20 years in prison under Russian law.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
12 to 20 yrs in prison. More like the rest of your life in the Gulags. No chance he would be allowed to live or be released by Putin's dogs the FSB.

english.aljazeera.net

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI

12 to 20 yrs in prison. More like the rest of your life in the Gulags. No chance he would be allowed to live or be released by Putin's dogs the FSB.

english.aljazeera.net

Ok, pray tell why you would not lock this guy up if you were Putin? Please explain to me why you think a country should be perfectly fine with the fact that some oligarch is using political asylum as means to sit there calling for a bloody revolution in Russia? Does that honestly make sense to you? Not to mention that this guy said he would financially support anti-putin factions in Russia earlier on in the year. Let me draw you a picture of what this would look like from a Russian citizen's point of you - to begin with this guy is an oligarch, and there is only one way people have achieved that after the collapse of the USSR in the 90s: they stole #loads of cash from pansions, funds, companies, banks - they stiole from them country and the people. It's a simple fact. Regardless weather they are good or bad people now every single one of these guys broke the law and stole money at one point. Berezovsky is ESPECIALLY no exception. So, here is some oligarch who took as much as his greedy little hands could hold after the collapse, fled to englad to hide from the Kremlin - most likely reasons would be he took money from the wrong people or made someone angry. There is no reason why someone with so much money would have a bad life in Russia, regardless of how bad it was back then. With all that money he could have bought off anyone and have anything, like most oligarchs in Russia ended up. And now this guy is sitting "across the river" barking at Russia, and Russia has been putting up with it (also partly Yeltsin was too big of an idiot to stand up for his country's interests properly). Now he was stupid enough to throw a stone across the river at Russia. He's in trouble now. This guy has been trying to destabalize the country, and everything it has achieved under Putin - in my opinion he should be shot, but that's mainly because I'm sick of all these idiots who hop borders but a new life simply isn't enough for them, they have to sit there and try to shovel compost on their old countries image. 12-20 years is hardly anything compared to what he deserves in my eyes, but I know they'll mess up his life good as it is.

FSB dogs...you know honestly maybe you just hate law enforcment units, and if that's the case I'm totaly fine with the comment. But if not - these guys, despite all their coruption and bad record still do atleast somewhat of a job to keep law and order in this country. They aren't dogs, they're people, look closely at some pictures you might just see a face with some hands and legs. There is no need to dehumanize them. I've talked to plenty of them and believe me they are people, they have feelings. By far not all are bad. And since 2000+ they have been improving, and stopped tons of terror plots in Russia. Yhea they're not your average US smiling policeman, but give them a break man. The country fell apart and is rebuilding itself. All things have to start somewhere.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Bah whats with the jail?

You'd think radioactive poison would be more his style!

;-P

If there was a coup against me i'd have him locked up for 20 years too.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Bah whats with the jail?

You'd think radioactive poison would be more his style!

;-P

If there was a coup against me i'd have him locked up for 20 years too.

No honestly man do you have any idea what this guy has done to Russia? Or what his background is with Russia to begin with? If you do have atleast some accurate knowledge I think you'd agree with me.

Regards,
Maestro

top topics

join