It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Denies Drug Suspects Allegations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Mexico Denies Drug Suspects Allegations

www.rr.com

It was the largest seizure of cash in the history of drug enforcement: $207 million, mostly in crisp $100 bills, stuffed into walls, closets and suitcases in the Mexico City home of a Chinese-born businessman.

Zhenli Ye Gon told The Associated Press that most of the money belonged to Mexico's ruling party.

The Mexican government says his story "is not only false, it is ridiculous."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
mexico.usembassy.gov

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well, what do you think they are going to do, admit it?

This article makes an interesting read. So far, I've only been able to find it on the web from the international section of the news on my homepage. Background on the case can be found at the additional link posted.

Whatever is going on, and I suspect government collusion may be involved, this guy is/was in deep. You don't just come to have nearly a quarter of a billion dollars socked away in your walls by accident, and not without a little help from friends in high places.

I'm curious as to how the deal went sour, and how the 19 ton shipment of pseudoephedrine, a main ingredient in meth, was discovered.

I have a feeling this story will get a lot more interesting before it is finished.

www.rr.com

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

Well, what do you think they are going to do, admit it?

This article makes an interesting read. So far, I've only been able to find it on the web from the international section of the news on my homepage. Background on the case can be found at the additional link posted.

Whatever is going on, and I suspect government collusion may be involved, this guy is/was in deep. You don't just come to have nearly a quarter of a billion dollars socked away in your walls by accident, and not without a little help from friends in high places.

I'm curious as to how the deal went sour, and how the 19 ton shipment of pseudoephedrine, a main ingredient in meth, was discovered.

I have a feeling this story will get a lot more interesting before it is finished.

www.rr.com

I'm afraid this is only the tip of the sordid iceberg of government collusion with the drug trade...

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The source link is not showing the story at this time so I found an alternate for others to use.

Yahoo News

Interesting article and I think the chinese is the liar here.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, shots. I searched Yahoo before I posted the story and there was nothing there at the time.

I'm curious, what makes you think the suspect is lying? Do you think there is any truth at all to his story?

The fact that he got his start in business in Mexico selling goods seized by customs makes me think he developed connections there, at the very least.

Born in Shanghai, Ye Gon migrated to Mexico in 1990 and became a citizen in 2002. He imported textiles, clothing and shoes, and made a fortune as a reseller of commodities seized by Mexican customs.

He founded a pharmaceutical company, Unimed, in 1997.

Then he starts a pharma company? It doesn't add up, on the surface, to one guy acting alone with his family. He had to have help from someone with high-level connections, imo.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Thanks for the link, shots. I searched Yahoo before I posted the story and there was nothing there at the time.

I'm curious, what makes you think the suspect is lying? Do you think there is any truth at all to his story?

The fact that he got his start in business in Mexico selling goods seized by customs makes me think he developed connections there, at the very least.

Born in Shanghai, Ye Gon migrated to Mexico in 1990 and became a citizen in 2002. He imported textiles, clothing and shoes, and made a fortune as a reseller of commodities seized by Mexican customs.

He founded a pharmaceutical company, Unimed, in 1997.

Then he starts a pharma company? It doesn't add up, on the surface, to one guy acting alone with his family. He had to have help from someone with high-level connections, imo.

Yeah, he's smuggling stuff worth hundreds of millions of dollars and the authorities don't know anything about it? WTF? What about the crispness of the money?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I had a hard time myself then I inserted the hyphen and presto it appeared.

Well if the government were involved which they may well be I am not saying they are not but I find it odd that the money was found stuffed in the walls of the house. I mean if the government were involved and you were a member would you put millions in someones walls where they could access it and run off?

[edit on 7/2/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
That's a good point. You would think it would be in a nice, safe, offshore account all laundered and ready to be invested in the stock market.

Maybe they didn't have the back end set up yet. Or maybe the money was supposed to find its way back to China somehow.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

That's a good point. You would think it would be in a nice, safe, offshore account all laundered and ready to be invested in the stock market.

Maybe they didn't have the back end set up yet. Or maybe the money was supposed to find its way back to China somehow.

Exactly the offshore bank accounts would work very well to siphon the money into China where it could be laundered if you will.

As for the 2nd part and time eleminate I do not think that would be the case. it only takes minutes to open offshore accounts or perhaps 30 minutes at the most.

People dealing in that amount of money and drugs are not stupid.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It could have been a cash op with payment for the 19 ton shipment awaiting delivery. I wonder what the tab for that intercepted shipment would have been?

Shades of Rep. Jefferson and the 90k in the freezer here. Caught red-handed.

But $207 million? That is a heck of a lot of crisp, new $100 bills.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Can you imagine the size of the pile of money we are talking here. Surely more then one or two pallets and as I said they are not dumb although the one individual might have been for keeping that much in one place.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Another thing I wonder about is what happened to the pseudoephedrine they seized? Is it destroyed? Resold? Turned into meth anyway by an 'approved' manufacturer?

They make these big seizures all the time, and we rarely hear of what happens to the goods seized. I know, every once in a while they make a big deal out of burning some stuff, but who knows what they are burning?

With this amount of money involved, and human nature being what it is these days, I find it hard to believe the goods don't make it to market anyway, just through an 'officially sanctioned' operation.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by Icarus Rising]

top topics

join