It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Microwave Turns Plastic Back To Oil.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Who knew that plastic someday might be like diamonds.

Expensive.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think this is a good start but bad idea.
I mean we already polluted this planet to #.
think about if we had a good supply of oil?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
the oil company will not go broke... they are now making agreements and plan all the things to control the hydrogen market...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This won't do much of anything for the energy crisis, but it will do wonders for recycling and helping to keep plastic out of our landfills. This is comparable to recycling aluminum popcans; it is a good thing all around, but it won't change the world.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This won't change the world?

Being able to recycle billions of plastic cell phones parts(amoung thousands of other things) will change a lot of things. If this works on all polymers, then that dent of very serious contamination sources will reap huge benefits for centuries.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 28-6-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
While this might seem good when we are down to the last of the oil, I wonder what kinds of hazardous by-products would be produced during the extraction process?

What kinds of toxins will be introduced into the atmosphere, compounding the problems that we already have?

And when we do run out of oil and when there is no more plastic left, I am quite certain that there will be monopolies created, possibly by the former oil empires to capitalize on whatever the next valuable resource is in that day.

By that time, everything will be treated as a commodity, including the air that we breathe.

2 cents

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I personally think the "peak oil" crisis is overblown. I don't believe oil is actually running out, rather I think we are at the mercy of greedy oil companies who are artificially limiting supply and a terrible political climate in the Middle East.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
yea i too think that if we run out of oil the oil companies will just find something else to monopolize, for example i had asked my dad who works for philip morris wut would happen to them if cigarettes were outlawed and he said theyd just sell something else, so the same prolly would go wit oil companies

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I will try to state one more time... 90% of the products we use are plastic based. Until our Medical equipment, food storage containers, automobiles, Man made fibers, carpet, wire coverings, toys, video games, dvds VHS Televisions, HELL THE COMPUTER YOU ARE USING....

When all corporations redesign there products to be plastic free, then we will be able to live without plastic. those of you that think I am promoting this continued use need to read between the lines... I would like to see the elimination of plastics from use... BUT... The companies that make there products dirt cheap due to plastics do not want plastic eliminated.

Also, Recycling is fine... Make money off of my trash... because I recycle too...
(p.s. you need to get into biodiesel because I produce 100% only biodegradable ; i.e. natural; trash byproducts... all other items are sterilized and reused within my home.)
I love how assumptive and a**holish this website has become in the past month....

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Yeah it really is amazing to think about just how much plastic is used in every day life. You really don't think about it very much until a thread like this pops up.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandomThought

Originally posted by tnt3kgt

Your post reminds me of when bottled watter was first becomming popular and I thought whats next we bottle, market, and sell air? (I think they do sell nitrogen or something to athletes)

They already sell Air and certain pubs/cafes and all it is is flavor + Oxygen. It's funny how free comes with a cost.

That is damn scary! Let's hope it doesn't become a preemptive idea to something bigger and worse lol

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Like DM said we dont need the plastics we can make bio-plastic from hemp.
So we really wont miss anything but the oil, which is fine with me.

you can make ethanol fuel from hemp too (and other 1000s quality products & food), but like I said, some powerfull selfish people want all te goodies for themselves... and that is for another thread

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I dont see why we have to get rid of plastic, or oil at all. All of the planets oil conflicts can be solved by every host nation nationalizing all of the world's oil supply. When we start dealing in people and the genuwine concern for their well-being, and not cash for power, then many of the conflicts will dissapear.

Frankly I love plastics, and I believe given enough research, they can be recycled indefinetly the same way aluminum can.

Look people, a good 90% of the people on this forum will be dead, including myself, before we even see any sign of a global breakdown due to loss of oil. This is Earth damnit, there is enough resources on this planet, and enough minds to manipulate them to keep our species going until the end of time. We are growing more aware and considerate of the processes and actions we do now to make our lives better and spare the health of our home. Sure it is coming slowly, but its coming.

My suggestion to anyone and everyone is never get worked up or stressed about an apocolyptic future we probably wont ever see. We all just simply do what we can to respect our environment, our fellow man, and focus on solutions to make everything better while doing our darndest to simply live our lives happily as possible.

apc

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It would certainly be nice to be able to chuck into the recycling bin plastics other than just types 1 and 2. Being able to recycle your milk jugs is great and all, but what good does it do when half the plastic containers out there aren't accepted by your recycler?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join