It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prime Minister Olmert will evacuate West Bank outposts this year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well this is a bit of good news. Finally Israel will make the USA look good for once and follow through on its promise of getting rid of the settlements and outposts. This should relive some of the steam in the middle east as long as the promise is kept.

I want u to take note of the comments in the thread. 1 guy goes as far as to threaten the prime Ministers life because of this promise. This tells you a lot about the psyche of the people living within even Israels green line.

Last update - 01:10 28/06/2007

PM reportedly will evacuate West Bank outposts this year

By Aluf Benn, Haaretz Correspondent

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is planning to initiate the evacuation of illegal outposts in the West Bank in the coming months, political sources in the capital said Wednesday.

"This year we will see the evacuation of outposts," the sources said, and the appointment of Ehud Barak to the Defense Ministry will bolster Olmert's ability to deal with this issue.

A short while after taking over from an ailing Ariel Sharon, Olmert ordered the evacuation of nine homes from the Amona outpost in January 2006. The evacuation deteriorated into a violent clash between settlers and security forces, and the prime minister has since avoided evacuating any other outposts in the West Bank.

PM reportedly will evacuate West Bank outposts this year

[edit on 27-6-2007 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well whatever our differences on other subjects Pieman I think this is a brave and bold step in the right direction by Isreal. Perhaps the politicians are listening ?
It would be flattering if they take account of comments here at ATS.

Yeah I think we do need to consider that Isreali politics are themselves a volatile arena. Omert is not very popular with the Isreali people for failures in the Lebanese conflict last year.

This is a step in the right direction, so I take my hat of to Olmert. The solution in the middle-east needs to be a political one to last long term. Isreal needs to grasp this opportunity to outflank the popularity of Hammas.

Had they done this decades ago many lives would not have been lost including those on 9/11.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I happen to think the threat of Boycott is also being a big push in this. If people were to push a boycott to the extent that SA apartheid boycott was, I think Israel would be hurt badly. I noticed a lot of these concessions began around the same time The UK unions and South African Trade Union began to boycott.

Im glad you are one of the few who will admit that this kind of thing has been a major cause for many of these terrorist attacks. This has been denied and ignored for too long. OK maybe we have many things in common with israel but there are many things we don't and to associate ourselves to the point of having to live like them is ridiculous. We must be fair and non-partial.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Thanks PieMan. I am British born but have lived all my life in New Zealand so my take on world affairs does not rely on US media viewpoints.

In terms of 9/11, however much that may hurt, or offend Americans the truth is that to Muslims, US support for Isreal in subjugation of Palestinian self determination was what drove radical muslims in attacking the West and USA in particular.

I don't see that anyone has clean hands in the middle east. As I said earlier USA is the one country which can bring pressure on Isreal to change. Now is a vitally important moment when Isreal can win friends by sincere gestures to Fatah on the West Bank.

If you start to heal the Palestinian question then you can stop treating the symptoms and get to the real cause.

The best thing Americans can do now is elect a person who understand the dilemma in the Middle east and who is unafraid to talk tough to Isreal.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
In terms of 9/11, however much that may hurt, or offend Americans the truth is that to Muslims, US support for Isreal in subjugation of Palestinian self determination was what drove radical muslims in attacking the West and USA in particular.

I don't see that anyone has clean hands in the middle east. As I said earlier USA is the one country which can bring pressure on Isreal to change. Now is a vitally important moment when Isreal can win friends by sincere gestures to Fatah on the West Bank.

The best thing Americans can do now is elect a person who understand the dilemma in the Middle east and who is unafraid to talk tough to Isreal.

Yes even though OBL plainly said that Israel was the reason many people stuck their heads in the ground and thought of other things it could have possibly been.

No there are a lot of dirty hands in the ME and all I say is treat them all equally and things may work out better...maybe not in israels favor as it has been but you know what...Id rather see it work out better for us in the long run. Its not my religious cause to get the entire country under one flag...thats their problem if thats what they want.

Yeah well with AIPAC having a lot of power it wont look like that will happen even though it does seem many americans are tiring from the favoritism and they realize our safety and security should come first. I think that should come first and foremost before any Biblical promises or Biblical prophesy should be considered.

Pie

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I am not a Christian so for me fulfillment of biblical prophecy does not motivate me one way or the other.

Biblical prophecy about the destruction of Babylon at the end of time is for me an interesting topic about psychic prediction. Not the motivator of my ideas or views.

We do clash over Iran, but our views are more similar than you suspect. I do believe that Isreal has a right to exist. Overall I have more sympathy for the Palestinians than for Isreal.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I am not a Christian so for me fulfillment of biblical prophecy does not motivate me one way or the other.

Biblical prophecy about the destruction of Babylon at the end of time is for me an interesting topic about psychic prediction. Not the motivator of my ideas or views.

We do clash over Iran, but our views are more similar than you suspect. I do believe that Isreal has a right to exist. Overall I have more sympathy for the Palestinians than for Isreal.

I was born Catholic but Im not really looking forward to the end of the world..with 3 boys Id like to see them enjoy a nice full life. They can end theirs if they want...just leave the rest of us out of it.

As far as Iran goes well thats another thing we could stand to be more "less partial" as well. I am not for Iran having nukes per se, I am against all nukes in the entire region and yes that includes Israel wether people say they are responsible or not...I look at it like this...Either all or NONE. Id prefer None. What may be sanity now might very well be INsanity later. This Opaque stuff is a lot of BS. Its kinda like that word Pre-emptive. Too much iffy and not enough for sures

Pie

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I spent twenty years of my life campaigning for nuclear disarmament. We share the desire to get rid of them. We just differ in the how.

I have a boy whom I love dearly. My dad fought at Normandy and a few other places in the hope of giving his kids a safer world. I can understand that you want a safe world for your kids... Honest I do.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I spent twenty years of my life campaigning for nuclear disarmament. We share the desire to get rid of them. We just differ in the how.

I have a boy whom I love dearly. My dad fought at Normandy and a few other places in the hope of giving his kids a safer world. I can understand that you want a safe world for your kids... Honest I do.

i believe the day we can get rid of Nuclear arms will be the day everyone can collectively sigh and get a good nights sleep. At least you wont ever have to worry about seeing an entire city fried with its entire population burnt to a crisp. Weapons that do so much long term scarring damage should never be allowed anywhere. Our Bombs and Missiles should be more then enough and at least people have a chance.

wow its only me and you replying here. I wonder. is it that people dont want this to happen, don't believe it will happen or its not bloody enough for attention. Many of the talkbackers on haaretz are seething mad. They do not want to give an inch. They want it all.

new topics

top topics

join