It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51 / NTS Help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I’m sure there is a few people here that could give me a bit of advice…

In mid-August my boyfriend and I intend to drive to the Mojave in Nevada. I want to escape the light pollution and hope to take advantage of the scarce population, high altitude, and the new moon to capture some great astrophotography with the telescope. I want to especially take advantage of the location and see for myself the mystery behind the Groom Lake facility.

I’ve done my research and figured out the locations of the front and back gates, the view from Tikaboo peak (we intend to camp there one night), and the overlook from an area known as “powerline outlook.”

Other than those locations there isn’t anything on the net. I don’t intend to sprint across the boundary line, but I don’t want to just stop at the front gate, nod, say, “okay,” and turn around. I want to at least try to get as close as possible, and if not for trying to get a glimpse of something (that I know I probably won’t) then for the hell of it knowing I’m probably already being watched. I want to make the cammo dudes earn that night’s paycheck at least.

Basically, what I’m asking… The entire area of the Nevada Test Site is restricted land and air space. I’m wondering about the non-road approaches to the boundary line. There’s a lot of land around Area 51 and yet only two roads (as far as I can tell) lead to the Groom Lake facility. Assuming I drove (and assuming I found an accessible route) on public land (from my understanding of Nevada Law I would be not violating the law) up to the boundary.. basically just went 4x4ing off the road say somewhere between the “black” mailbox and Coyote Summit. Is the boundary firmly marked every so meters with the signs? …or at these locations are they simply motion sensors, camera, etc… Would I even be able to know the boundary without a GPS?

Also, would anyone have any recommendations for any areas near the NTS where it would possibly be the darkest… basically the absolute best spot to view the night sky… Does anyone know how much light pollution there is around Area 51? Is the base for the most part dark at night minus landing lights, or is it heavily lit?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The area is a heaven for skywatchers. I have done it many times. Most of the border away from the gates is marked by orange colored plastic posts as well as fencing. Sometimes its hard to see the posts so its a good idea to be able to see two at a time. If you cant it is probably best to back up. I cant tell from your post but dont confuse the NTS and Area 51 they are quite a distance apart. Their are plenty of accessible roads that run the border. Most would require 4 wheel drive.. Their are some very deep holes and lots of very deep sand washes. You mentioned Coyote Summit which is an excellent place for skywatching. Their is no ambient light at that location as it is 10 miles from Rachel and behind the mountains. The Powerlines is excellent also. The base is 26 miles from the top of Tikaboo and if their is any light from the base its hard to notice. If their is a launch the runway lights are blue and hardly noticable and probably wont happen before 2:00am.. Their are many falling stars, and from Coyote you can see the Space Station without any optics. Please take a ton of water for you and the vehicle. I was there last week and the temps in the day are pushing 100 degrees. For much more good info go to WWWDreamlandresort.com

join