It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtumonde bug...Aaaaargghhh!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Two things, firstly I had the virtumonde spyware which caused pop-ups galore, even when you werent actually on the web. I used virtufix (I found a hyperlink somewhere) and it fixed it after 3 attempts, all others failed, Norton, Scan Spyware, Spysweeper etc. Only thing is when I open a link the screen goes green first before the page fully loads. This is the same green as from the pop-ups I was getting, anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

Secondly I use Norton and I know people say its a bad anti-virus but I have tried Nod32 and Avast pro, but find Norton more user friendly. Also someone whos a computer geek told me the reason Norton slows your PC down a bit is because its working. How true this is I dont know. What do you think is the best A/V to use?

Thanks in advance. I should also say I get all my software from Torrents, I know this can be bad for the PC, but I like to try before I buy!

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto

I should also say I get all my software from Torrents, I know this can be bad for the PC, but I like to try before I buy!

Hmmmmm.... Keep messing around with P2P and torrents, and you will probably have all sorts of junk on your computer that you didn't ask for.

As for your spyware/virus problems, check out chisslers thread, stickied to the top of this forum.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Also someone whos a computer geek told me the reason Norton slows your PC down a bit is because its working.

Ahh, how bad they want everyone to think that. It's like the Buckley's marketing. If it tastes that bad, it's gotta work! Well, with your anti-virus program, trading off your resources for protection is not a trade off that you need to expect. There are programs out there that will provide the same support without eating your resources up all day, every day.

I prefer to go with free software that provides the simple services that I require. Some people may pay for some software and receive a better service, but I am more than content with what I receive for free.

• Free AVG (Anti-Virus)
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal (Anti-Spyware)
  • Spybot: Search & Destroy (Anti-Spyware)

Put them three programs together, all at no cost, and you'll have all the protection you need. Problem you will run into though, is with the anti-virus program you currently have installed, it is slightly difficult to successfully remove all of the components. With any other anti-virus program running in the background, it will cause problems on the system if you try to introduce the Free AVG program.

There are small items on the Norton site you should be able to download & install to successfully remove the program. The Add/Remove programs tends to leave large chunks lying around of this program.

• posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:29 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

I should also say I get all my software from Torrents, I know this can be bad for the PC, but I like to try before I buy!

Hmmmmm.... Keep messing around with P2P and torrents, and you will probably have all sorts of junk on your computer that you didn't ask for.

As for your spyware/virus problems, check out chisslers thread, stickied to the top of this forum.

Maybe so, but I just got Adobe CS3 extended retails, I am told, for $969, torrented for free. All working, no problems. Scanned for viruses and way to go. If I did get a virus I'm sure I could cure it for under a grand. But I hear what your saying, I am playing with fire so to speak.

And thanks for the help Chissler, I will look into removing my Norton, which was free too, torrented, for the next 3689 days to be exact lol,

Mcphisto

[edit on 28/6/07 by Mcphisto]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:47 PM
    link   
    Not only is Torrenting illegal (especially when downloading programs that you would otherwise have to pay for), but it can harbor hidden viruses or spyware that can't always be found with a simple anti-virus or anti-spyware scan. Because torrenting requires you download a folder, sometimes folders within folders, a virus or spyware may be imbedded within this download.

I generally don't download programs, but when I do, I use RapidShare, which is guaranteed safe.

And even if it's not, I have a Macintosh with Norton Anti-virus. So I'm pretty safe.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:26 AM
    link   

Originally posted by chissler

Also someone whos a computer geek told me the reason Norton slows your PC down a bit is because its working.

Ahh, how bad they want everyone to think that. It's like the Buckley's marketing. If it tastes that bad, it's gotta work! Well, with your anti-virus program, trading off your resources for protection is not a trade off that you need to expect. There are programs out there that will provide the same support without eating your resources up all day, every day.

I prefer to go with free software that provides the simple services that I require. Some people may pay for some software and receive a better service, but I am more than content with what I receive for free.

• Free AVG (Anti-Virus)
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal (Anti-Spyware)
  • Spybot: Search & Destroy (Anti-Spyware)

Put them three programs together, all at no cost, and you'll have all the protection you need. Problem you will run into though, is with the anti-virus program you currently have installed, it is slightly difficult to successfully remove all of the components. With any other anti-virus program running in the background, it will cause problems on the system if you try to introduce the Free AVG program.

There are small items on the Norton site you should be able to download & install to successfully remove the program. The Add/Remove programs tends to leave large chunks lying around of this program.

• Those apps are freeware and not free software.

new topics

top topics

join