It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq WMD Search Team Withdrawn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
NY Times Article
The New York Times is reporting that a 400-member military team assigned to search Iraq for military equipment (WMD's) has been withdrawn. Some see this as a sign the administration no longer expects to find vast caches of chemical, biologic, or other "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq.

A very interesting development, not because it was unexpected, but because of how quietly it was done. [Edited on 9-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 10-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am suprised..I mean if your looking for something that is not there..then your going to be looking for it for a long,long time.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well, it looks like they found the (planted) evidence, and are just waiting for the right time to tell everyone.
(Like the Saddam capture)

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hmm, 1,400-400=1,000 still there to look for WMD's.

Then again, does it really matter?
N. Korea is begging for inspections.
Iran is begging for inspections.
Libya has caved in.
The Sudanese are retrhinking their own positions on their 'programs'.....

Hmmm...

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

by Seekerof
does it really matter

Ummm.. yes? Isn't this at least the second weapons searching team to quitely be withdrawn? But the whole pretext of the war doesn't matter because there's other fish to fry?
I really hope there was some sarcasm in there somewhere.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
First I have heard of a "second team", got a link to that?
And yes kegs....I forgot to punch the "sarcasm" smiley.

If it wasn't such a big deal, I wouldn't argue it as I do would I?

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I'm thinking of a second time the team was shrunk, not withdrawn. my bad. (unless of course you count the U.N but I know you wouldn't!
)
I'll try and find a link, but it'll be tomorrow, I need to go to bed.

by Seekerof
If it wasn't such a big deal, I wouldn't argue it as I do would I?

No, Indeed you wouldn't.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Thanks kegs....I look forward to reading it.
Have a good night sleep.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This admission of failure is one of many things that will be jumped on. We all know the evidence primarily used about readily deployable weapons in known locations was a big lie. 'Evidence of weapons programs' no longer does it any more, does it? But some will still continue to defend the lies with remarkable persistence.

"Deny Ignorance".

While this is straight damage control, it is just a little surprising that none of the $87 billion "reconstruction" budget was to be applied to weapons fabrication and eradication. No redemption there though.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
"Deny Ignorance"? That has become the rallying cry of those who lack evidences and make assertions.
"Admission of failure"? Proof of this assumption?
"Readily deployable" refering to the 45 minute claim?
You can definitely continue to count me in the small minority here at ATS that "still defend the lies."
"Damage control"? Doubtful. Troop rotations perhaps.
"Redemption" is a quanitive or qualitive modifier?
What amazes me are tose that still believe that Saddam had no WMD despite "stockpiles" not being found......

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
www.atimes.com... Iraqi WMD: Myths and ... more myths By Jim Lobe WASHINGTON - The administration of United States President George W Bush "systematically misrepresented" the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction (WMD), three non-proliferation experts from a prominent think tank charged on Thursday. In a 107-page report, Jessica Mathews, Joseph Cirincione and George Perkovich of the Washington-based Carnegie Endowment for International Peace called for the creation of an independent commission to fully investigate what the US intelligence community knew, or believed it knew, about Iraq's WMD program from 1991 to 2003. The probe should also determine whether intelligence analyses were tainted by foreign intelligence agencies or political pressure, they added. "It is very likely that intelligence officials were pressured by senior administration officials to conform their threat assessments to pre-existing policies," Cirincione told reporters. This won't be good for the camapaign. It'll be interesting to see how this report is picked up by the Dems and other media. So far, no US-based news website appear to be covering this story: Search Google for this story

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Oh well.

At least I've been covering it since 29 April 2003.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar At least I've been covering it since 29 April 2003.
Many of us have on ATS... certainly not you alone.
The point is... it's nice to see attention given to this topic in some world-news outlets of "established credibility". Now we need to see where this is picked up within the US.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I agree.

People at sites like ATS care.

Complicit managers of media/propaganda tools don't.

Not going to get into certain patterns of media ownership, but I do know our member 'postings' and I had a detailed chat about that a while back and I encouraged him to research far and wide. Haven't heard from him on it for a while...

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Interesting that this is the Second country affected by a US military insertion,...both times not obtaining the proposed objective.

Bin Ladan in Afghanistan
WMD in IRAQ

Remember those were the entry point reasons.

I wonder if someone will lose the election for the second term, has any other countries in sight for things they wont find.

I think we can look at both of these retrospectively now
and analyze the facts.

What HAS been accomplished individually in both cases?

If there are items of accomplishment, what do they have in common, and can it be used to help direct my attention to the next area of interest?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Iraq-Afghanistan oil pipeline
Oil currency
Crony capitalism and war profiteering
Hate & Evil

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar Iraq-Afghanistan oil pipeline Oil currency Crony capitalism and war profiteering Hate & Evil
Uh... the "oil" pipeline was discussed on ATS quite a bit about a year ago. It's actually a natural gas pipeline... with some different intent that typical "conspiracy" theories.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Nah... wrong pipeline.

top topics

join