It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless Network Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My wireless router arrived today (Linksys WRT54GL - 4Port Wireless-G). I ordered it so I can obviously have a network between my Xbox360, the computer in the dining room and the computer in my room.

It all works fine except one major problem... My modem is a USB one and the router only has an ethernet port for the modem. Therefore, I'm screwed and cannot use the internet at all for the computer in my room and my xbox360.

I'm so gutted, I got home after a long day's work, looking forward to having a go on Xbox Live and my hopes were ripped out and spat on.

I know there is probably no way of getting my modem to work through it but I thought I'd give it a shot and ask you guys for any help.

So yeah, how can I get my USB modem to go through an ethernet based router?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
when I Googled your question, all I got was "can't be done."

I did find this though.

Maybe somebody with more networking experience has something better to go on than this, though, so don't give up. Yet.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Is this just a regular old-style modem or do you mean a DSL or cable "modem?"

Either way, I don't think there's an easy solution. If your computer has an ethernet port, you should be able to find software that will allow you to share your internet connection from the USB modem over the ethernet cable to the wireless router. Of course that would mean your computer would have to be on for the wireless connection to the Internet to work.

But if possible I'd try to find something directly compatible with the internet connection you have.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the help, you two.

Its an ADSL modem. I shall have a look for software that can do that, djohnsto.

I'll be back and keep ya posted.

Cheers again.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Cheer up. It's not that bleak of an outlook. Plug the cable modem into your pc as it was before you got the router. In the control panel open the connection settings in network neighborhood and choose to share the internet connection. The only sucky thing is that you'll have to keep the first pc on to have an internet connection.

Now run an ethernet cable to your router from the pc with the internet connection. Viola! Everything plugged into the router can now get onto the internet. You'll end up having two connection settings on the first pc because it will be on your home network and on the ISP's network. The second network connections should be created for you automatically. If not I believe that there's a network connection wizard that you can run to set this up.

Of course all of this is easy if you are running Windows XP.

Here's a more detailed explination

[edit on 22-6-2007 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I knew that's built-in on Mac OS X but I didn't know about Windows.

Looks like it won't be much of a problem for you then, if you don't care about having to leave your main computer on whenever you want to use the wireless network.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm getting nowhere and I'm beginning to enter the first stage of insanity!

I've setup my internet connection so it is shared with other parts of my network. I'm trying to get my Xbox360 to access the internet but it won't! I don't know if you guys have it but I'm going through the xbox's connection checks. It passes the IP Address but fails miserably on the DNS check. WTF am I doing wrong? I got my ISP's DNS stuff and put them into my xbox settings but it still won't work.

Please help me before I go completely insane... Thanks.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Have you set the router address correctly on the wireless hub? It should be the address Windows is assigning to that ethernet port I think.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
There isn't anyway I can see to assign addresses to the router, etc. I've looked in my Network Connections, etc. I'm so lost...

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The wireless router should have come with some software or a web interface to set it up. Look at the manual.

You should be able to connect it to your ethernet and set it up according to the instructions from your PC.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
All the software did was install the router (there isn't actually a program that I can see on the computer which relates to the router) and also installed a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security.

Anyway, thank you for the help. I'm gonna have to go to bed, I have to be up for work in six hours. I'll start from scratch tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
When ever you introduce a new connection to a modem it should be done as follows. Power done all devices, modem, router, game console and computer. Make the necessay connections, from modem to router (not a numbered port), computer to router (numbered port), and game console(numbered port). Now you are ready to power up your modem, wait 30 seconds then power up your router, then computer and game console. I am a network technician for one of the largest cable companies in the US. Any problems after this let me know.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The wireless router should have come with some software or a web interface to set it up.

Probably the following

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
linksys routers default address is usually 192.168.1.1 and sometimes 192.168.0.1
username: admin
password: admin

also check the documentation for xbox network settings, you may have to open a specific port xbox needs, i never played a xbox so im not sure but online games dont usually use port 80

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok. Next problem.

My Wireless Network Adapter arrived for my computer (the one in my room), it's installed and can access the router. I've enabled Internet and File Sharing on the"main" computer, how do I access the files on this "main" computer through the one in my room?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Open the windows file explorer (Windows button + 'E') on the main computer. Browse to a folder you wish to access and right click the folder. Select "Properties" and then click the "sharing" tab in the properties dialog box. Now check off the box that says you want to share the files in the folder over the network.

You could share the entire computer if you wish by sharing the "C:\" folder but generally people simply share portions of their computer. It's not a good idea to share your C:\Windows directory but sharing your My Documents folder wouldn't be a bad idea.

One the other computers you can now browse to your shared folders on the main computer. Do this thorugh your network neighborhood or in the Windows file explorer you'll find it by looking in:

My Network Places
...Entire Network
...........Microsoft Windows Network
...................MS Home

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thanks dbates!

Last problem (I know, I'm a pain in the backside) is... how the hell do I get my ICS to work? I've tried changing the settings (IP, DNS, etc.) on the computer upstairs but the internet still doesn't work. Help!

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Woot!

It's all sorted. I bought my friends MODEM/router today and all is working fine. Even my Xbox Live works!

I guess my old router was just stubborn in knowing it was meant to access the "main" computer and SHARE the internet!

Thanks for all the help, I'm a happy bunny now... In a less camp-sounding way!

join