It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. nears decision to close Gitmo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is nearing a decision to close the Guantanamo Bay detainee facility and move its terror suspects to military prisons elsewhere, The Associated Press has learned.

Senior administration officials said Thursday a consensus is building for a proposal to shut the center and transfer detainees to one or more Defense Department facilities, including the maximum-security military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where they could face trial.

Full Article

I don't see what the big deal is really. As it states in the article they will just move these prisoners to one of the secret prisons they have all over the planet and the ones that of are high value will probably be some where in the Antarctic taking swimming lessons. I think this whole Gitmo image thing is really nothing more than just that image. Its not going to change anything. Do you think it will make any difference in the world?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Hmm......My opinon on the whole thing is that closing Gitmo will change maybe little but then again, we sometime gather intelligence from the captives there, wheter they are terrorists or soldiers.

yes yes yes, i have heard much about the torture and way the CIA handles the detainees there, and yes it is inhumane and such. But honestly, i think they know where to stop. I mean, where to kill them or not. What the CIA is doing over there is about possibly the same thing that terrorsists would possibly do to our soldiers or allied soldeiers. Do terrorsists necessarily follow the Geneva Conventions when they kill and maim innocent civillians in Afghanistan and Iraq? i dont think so. And for those who attack the CIA on the basis that their not follwing the Geneva Conventions, whatever. The intelligence gathered there may of thwarted the half dozen or so plots that were to be attempted in the US.

But then again, i must agree that the CIA must be smart enough to know who IS a combatant and who is an INFORMER or a middle man. Many of said detainees may be innocents. Maybe not, and i think that the CIA SHOULD at least tone down a bit on their "intelligence gathering" tactics. It can be pretty hectic, crazy, and inhuman to be put thorugh that kind of scrutiny. But i say allow it to the deatiness who ARE confirmed terrorists. Ehh but that's my narrow perception of Gitmo.

I even heard that if they close it down they might send the prisoners to Afghanistan!!!

The US is helping expand a prison in Afghanistan to take some deatainees from Guantanamo Bay, while administration officials argue about whether to bring the to the US to face trials.
-www.forbes.com...

Does anyone here smell a stupid idea??? OMG, just give the Taliban a wide entrance to getting back their fellow "freedom fighter" breaathern by invading whatever base their at. Afghanistan is not nearly as protected as Iraq is by US/Coalition forces. Sure there are some there. But of all places, Afghan.? I think we should send them to a US base in the UK or somewhere else where there wouldnt be a chance for their friends to bail them out.

SO ALL IN ALL, i dont think there would be any drastic changes made. Its just the hype that surrounds Gitmo that makes it a hot topic.

new topics

join