It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JINDALEE - Australia's high-tech radar system !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 01:50 AM
link   
29 Febuary 2000

'Australia is using a sophisticated new radar network that can detect stealth bombers, curb illegal immigration and spy on neighbouring nations from at least 3000 kilometres away. The $A1.8 billion Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) has taken more than 30 years to complete but is now undergoing final trials.

JORN is designed to monitor air and sea movements across 37,000km of largely unprotected coastline and 9 million square kilometres of ocean. It is being used to cast a security shield across Australia's remote northern approaches without the high cost of maintaining constant maritime and air patrols.'

The rest ....

Radar 2 (blue arc) is located at Laverton
IRSU (pink arc) is the Jindalee Alice Springs Facility
Radar 1 (yellow arc) is located at Longreach

As far as I know only The US, Russia and China deploy these types of radar.

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have read somewhere that the Jindalee radar can even see into mainland China. I can't seem to find any reports of this I will keep looking.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Thk u so such for reminding me of JORN's pic. I'm not sure that the scanning range of JORN can cover the Soutn sea of China unless you can offer me the specific sample of its capability.
By the way, judging from what you say, I'm quite doubt on your nationality.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
from the South, eh?

Seriously...interesting find.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Obviously OTH has the capacity to cover a vast area, but it doesn't make sense that China shall make a big worry about it, afterall China faces a containment policy by USA led westen society from long time ago.
What I'm worried about is USA becoming more and more aggressive than ever, and that is the key to my opinion.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Well we have to be able to detect the nuclear missiles coming in if we are to be part of the defense shield

Also we in Australia had a big political thing on immigration a couple years ago.. We're sick of these boat people.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That radar system is cool. I did not know that the Australians were investing in military technology like that. I want to know what else they are coming out with.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well the US will give us nukes in an emergency.

We should be able to build our own nukes in 2 years time.

We're one of those countries that are able to have nukes, have the capabilities to do so, but dont.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
No I g all tese other nations will be trying to build a cloaking device of some kind to keep them Australians out of their own territory. Or at least that's wht they do In Command and Conquer.

Mat

posted on Jul, 16 2003 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The australians have recently made major improvemants to their military but I did not know about this. Mind you if it is anything like the Colins class sub then I do not think the PRC has anything to panic about. Cool radar though nevertheless.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Yes this is wikid stuff. And to Matt, we have fixed our damm submarines, the one with the big problem was the one that we lett some europeans build for us but we built the rest here and they have US fire control systems now so all is well thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
My God, OTH-T / Backscatter radars have been around for like 40 years. And I HIGHLY doubt that they could detect stealth targets (or ANY targets flying lower than 100 meters, for that matter).

The Brits have been operating one on Crete for who knows how long. Been using it to spy on southern Russian and the middle east.. US has lots of them.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
^^^

Soembody mentioned china has em' too??Any info on that?

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I remember hearing about this years ago from someone i knew in the defence forces talking about this system and its ability to pick up stealth systems. Apparently the yanks got a surprise that it could pick up their stealth aircraft so they bought into the company that designed the system so it would not be exported or sold abroad.

thanks,
drfunk

Stealth Aircraft not Immune

Edinburg is also linked to a third Jindalee transmitter and receiver at Alice Springs, which has operated as a JORN test site since 1993. McElroy says the Jindalee radar is very difficult to jam because of the way the signal is propagated over the ionosphere. "It can also detect stealth bombers, which are not designed to defeat the characteristics of Jindalee's high frequency radar," he said.

Stealth aircraft, such as the US Nighthawk F117A, are designed with sharp leading edges and a flat belly to minimise reflections back towards conventional ground-based radars. However, Jindalee radar bounces down from the ionosphere onto upper surfaces that include radar-reflecting protrusions for a cockpit, engine housings and other equipment.

Group Captain Hockings says stealth aircraft are coated with special radar absorbing material to avoid detection by conventional microwave radar. But the Jindalee radar uses high frequency radio waves, which have a much longer frequency than microwave radar. "Unless designed to be stealthy to both microwave and HF radars, (stealth) aircraft would not evade detection by JORN," he said.

Defence contractors are due to hand JORN over to the RAAF at the end of next year.

[edit on 9-7-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Mind you if it is anything like the Colins class sub then I do not think the PRC has anything to panic about

the collins are fixed and have been successful in exercises against the US navy. It'd be able to kick commie ass
. cost a fortune though in the end.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
This is very interesting and a good example that we should all do more to learn more about what we are doing down here. Makes me feel a whole lot safer.

[edit on 9/7/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Wow this thread is 2 years old.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Come on Aussie, come on come on.

He he. Had to do that.

It is true we dont often recieve information about Australian technoligies( military tecnologies that is ).

Mind you, we are bound to have a bunch of projects under the hood no one knows about. Just like any other country.
I think the reason this radar suprises people is that most of the attention is always on the US. US militry this, US military that. ( most beefed up by possible UFO connections ).

It really isnt that suprising that our goverment and armed forces would employ such strategic defence inititives. If a major war did occur we would be a prime target being the largest main land mass in the southern hemisphere. Our location makes an ideal military staging point to the rest of the world, plus we have quite a number of natural resources.(uranium etc. not sure about how much oil we have though... )

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by gold32
It really isnt that suprising that our goverment and armed forces would employ such strategic defence inititives. If a major war did occur we would be a prime target being the largest main land mass in the southern hemisphere. Our location makes an ideal military staging point to the rest of the world, plus we have quite a number of natural resources.(uranium etc. not sure about how much oil we have though... )

You are right it just isn't however at the front of mind for most of us. We are always interested in what is happening in the rest of the world and give scant thought to our own.

I guess with the constant implied 'threat' we have from the north it makes sense that we would have leading edge defence initiatives in place and constantly being built up. You are right that we do have a little 'gold mine' down here.

[edit on 10/7/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
29 Febuary 2000

As far as I know only The US, Russia and China deploy these types of radar.

Originally posted by Daedalus3
^^^

Soembody mentioned china has em' too??Any info on that?

any information on this would be appreciated

top topics

join