It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake disappears suddenly in Chile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Very interesting find on BBC

Scientists in Chile are investigating the sudden disappearance of a glacial lake in the south of the country.

Disappearing lake

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I recall a similar incident where a sink hole opened up under a lake and drained it.
Sure would be freaky to see.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My Opinion

Freaky indeed and all those poor fish.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Blame it on global warming! HA HAHAHAHA

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well, I'd think that this makes sense:

One theory is that an earthquake opened up a fissure in the ground, allowing the lake's water to drain through.

"In March we patrolled the area and everything was normal," said Juan Jose Romero from Chile's National Forestry Corporation, Conaf.

"We went again in May and to our surprise we found that the lake had completely disappeared. All that was left were chunks of ice and an enormous fissure."

Interesting.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I was reading in to this yesterday and they are saying that there really has been no quakes in that part for a while, So that may actualy take that theroy out,

A bunch of geologists are heading down there to look at it and hopfully come up with an idea as to why,

Interesting and one to watch..

www.hindu.com...

[edit on 22-6-2007 by asala]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Interesting and one to watch..

Definately...It went on to say that the lake was not there 30 years ago?
What is this lake vacations

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I was reading in to this yesterday and they are saying that there really has been no quakes in that part for a while, So that may actualy take that theroy out,

A bunch of geologists are heading down there to look at it and hopfully come up with an idea as to why

Maybe a smaller one which was not detected?

Could be that there was already a small underground water system that got eroded enough that the rate of flow out of the lake increased exponentially.

I recall a similar incident where a sink hole opened up under a lake and drained it.

You mean the one with the salt mine below it?

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
on a different quick note:

Apex, no I do not find your avatar distressing
nice one!!

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
my theory is that bottled water is to blame. Think about how much bottled water actually exists. I bet if all was emptied the waters would raise 6 feet!

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Well, I'd think that this makes sense:

One theory is that an earthquake opened up a fissure in the ground, allowing the lake's water to drain through.

"In March we patrolled the area and everything was normal," said Juan Jose Romero from Chile's National Forestry Corporation, Conaf.

"We went again in May and to our surprise we found that the lake had completely disappeared. All that was left were chunks of ice and an enormous fissure."

Interesting.

You left out the part after this qoute that says but this doesnt make much sense as there has been no recent earthquake activity in the area....

Edit: Sorry after posting realized this has been mentioned already.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by tnt3kgt]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is strange news due to the fact that many "Sink Holes" are appearing at an elevated frequency.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Global warming 'made lake vanish'

Experts now say melting glaciers put pressure on an ice wall that acted as a dam, causing it to give way.

Water in the lake flowed out of the breach into a nearby fjord and then out to the sea, said Andres Rivera, a glaciologist with Chile's Centre of Scientific Studies. Source

Interesting, doesn't explain that fissure though.

[edit on 4-7-2007 by apex]

top topics

join