It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's No-Fly List Takes Effect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Canada's No-Fly List Takes Effect

www.citynews.ca

A federal "no-fly" list takes effect at airports across the country Monday, and though it's being touted as a safety measure critics worry that it could end up targeting innocent people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ctv.ca

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well it seems that Canada takes yet another step in following the U.S. with their security policies. The "no-fly" list in Canada will only have about 1000 names to start out with, but I suspect this will grow rapidly.

I want to know how one ends up on this list? Are the individuals suspected in being potential threats? Or have they commited acts of terrorism or similar before? Which brings up the question, how are these people too dangerous to be let on a plane, yet not dangerous enough to be in jail?

www.citynews.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
i am a proud canadian and i feel the need to share my story

in the summer of 2004 i came from halifax nova scotia on a plane bound for montreal. we land in montreal. i get on my connecting flight bound for toronto. no problems there.

i get into toronto and i am going from toronto to georgia u.s.a.

so i have my passport and photo id and all that crap right....

dont i get to us customs and i am held there . so after an hour and in that time my flight had left i knew i obviously was not going to georgia that night.
i am taken into the little room with the pic of dubya and in front of a rolling video camera and two customs officials i am asked a million stupid questions about why im going , who im seeing, what im taking....

they tell me at the end of the set of questions that i do not meet the standards to enter the us.
after begging and pleading with them to tell me exactly why i still dont have an awnser as to why i was not allowed into the us that day. i met all requirements by my goverment to travel any damn place i please . and yet the us government had the right to deny me passage because i dont know why....

a supervisor from air canada later the next morning ( this all happened after 730 at night) told me the reason was not known to her, but she said i may have packed too much luggage (wtf?) and that it may be due to the reason i have relatives down there . she said they probably though i was going to apply for citizenship there so they denied me . i still wasnt given a clear awnser by anyone working at that stupid airport (pearson).
i dont have a criminal record btw or anything like that. im caucausian too so they were not profiling me...

two months later they installed u.s. customs offices in halifax airport so you dont have to get told in t.o. that your not allowed entry into america.

i really dont have any respect for anyone who works in customs or airport security anyways... my niece took a school trip from amherst nova scotia to paris and before they took off to come home from paris they found a explosive device on board in the cargo bay.... she was told by officials over there that that sort of thing happens so much it doesnt make the news anymore. she is never travelling again and im having my doubts too.

i hope nobody has to put up with the crap i did at customs.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Is the Mexico No Fly list next???

[edit on 20-6-2007 by hoochymama]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by instrumentality
a supervisor from air canada later the next morning ( this all happened after 730 at night) told me the reason was not known to her, but she said i may have packed too much luggage (wtf?) and that it may be due to the reason i have relatives down there . she said they probably though i was going to apply for citizenship there so they denied me . i still wasnt given a clear awnser by anyone working at that stupid airport (pearson).
i dont have a criminal record btw or anything like that. im caucausian too so they were not profiling me...

The Philippines has had such a problem with people coming to the US and not going back that to get a tourist visa you have to own property, and put your house and about $1500 down in collateral before you'll be approved.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Canada dittos the US No Fly List I feel. Seems to me, why not take advantage of US's Homeland Security work. Helps protect Canada, USA and other Countries such as Britain.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Wasn't it not long ago that America wanted Canada to enforce it's no-fly-list to Canadian flights passing through American airspace (ex Calgary to Toronto)?
IIRC Canada said no way.
What has changed? Is the list the same that America uses?

Why are these people on this list? Why are they too dangerous to fly but not in jail?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Seems to me Canadian people -- outspoken, really don't US influence on anything. Immediate.
But let it grow a bit towards Canadian moderate thinking and hell Canadians will swivel to the all kinds of American security thinking. When all along it was the right way to go, in some settings..

Dallas

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Is the list the same that America uses?

The list currently has about 1000 names, no indication as to wether they are the same names as on the US list. However the US list has something along the lines of 77,000.

top topics

join